OS 9.2.2 to OS X possible?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A girl I work with just recently came across an old iBook that is running OS 9.2 and she is wondering if can be updated to running a version of OS X and if so, would it be worth the update. Being a relatively new Mac user, my knowledge on OS 9 is nil

TIA!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Depends on the iBook model.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Depends on the iBook model.

I checked the system profiler and it has a PowerPC G3 300 MHz 288 MB built-in memory
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    You might be able to get one of the earliest versions of OSX to run on that, but it wouldn't be worth it IMO. Collector's item only, I'm afraid.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

You might be able to get one of the earliest versions of OSX to run on that, but it wouldn't be worth it IMO. Collector's item only, I'm afraid.

Thanks, I thought as much. It will be good for her kids to use. Thanks a bunch!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Lets see MacTracker says the last three versions of the iBook can handle 10.5 or Leopard (as it's a G4 PowerPC processor) OS still supported by Apple with updates.

Model PowerBook 6,3 (10.4 "Tiger" for 800Mhz processor; 10.5 "Leopard" for 933 Mhz processor); this model and earlier versions with G3 processor is considered "Vintage"

If you have a PB model 6,3 or earlier with a G3 processor, I say install 10.4 Tiger, but I don't think Apple is updating that OS version any longer, so it might make a good netbook.

Model PowerBook 6,5, and 6,7 (10.5 "Leopard" max) "Supported"

Apple is supporting 10.5 with updates, iTunes, the works. Of course the processor performance of the 6,7 isn't really strong.

Getting a copy of Leopard 10.5 will have to be your next mission, Apple likely doesn't sell it, just Snow Leopard (10.6) the next version for Intel processor machines only, but they might. There is always eBay or third party resellers.

To get a free copy of the program "MacTracker" visit this link

http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/
  • Reply 6 of 8
    spotonspoton Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

I checked the system profiler and it has a PowerPC G3 300 MHz 288 MB built-in memory

Ouch, yea, very old.

checking, yep will run 10.3.9 "obsolete"

Sorry.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MassMacMini View Post

A girl I work with just recently came across an old iBook that is running OS 9.2 and she is wondering if can be updated to running a version of OS X and if so, would it be worth the update. Being a relatively new Mac user, my knowledge on OS 9 is nil

TIA!

OK. This is an original model iBook. As SpotOn has already said, your friend's computer can run MacOS X 10.3.9. It is important to understand that running MacOS X on this computer is a labor of love. The money required to get it up to snuff is less than the limit of a single ATM withdrawal. Your friend must decide if it is worth it.

That said, to make the most out of the iBook, your friend needs to do three things:
    1. Replace the hard drive. The maximum stock hard drive capacity for this model iBook is 6 GB. I've run MacOS X 10.3.9 on a PowerBook with only 6 GB, but it was a struggle. Replace the stock drive with one whose cpacity is at least 120 GB.

2. Maximize the RAM.

3. Secure a legitimate copy of MacOS X 10.3.

At her option, your friend may retain her installation of MacOS 9.2.2. This will allow her to run Classic and dual-boot MacOS 9 and MacOS X.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'd stick it in the attic as is, and sell it to the highest emo bidder in 10 years time.