Palm dumps Pre ad agency, T-Mobile offers $350 for iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotOn View Post

Is that why the stock jumped yesterday?

Like a desperate lunge for the rim as it slowly circles the flushing bowl of bankruptcy?

It jumped 20% today. Some people say it jumped because of rumours of a Lenovo takeover bid.

I think its because they finally trashed Creepy Chick.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    frdsllsfrdslls Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

You can't cover up the Pre's problems with a white girl. That Pre commercial could be taken subliminally to consumers as Palm turning it's back on customers with that model turning her back to the camera.

iPhone ads are successful because they showcase the product, not a model or any cheesy special effects..

I could not agree more !!!

And so true also for the "big bucket of " - unname and unshown - "does" ad, where they can only show small app icons from very far, and no actual content, as it just sucks...

Apple ads in contrast just show closeups of the actual product and software, in all its splendor !
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

LOL! Good luck with that one. Trade in an iPhone for a Windows Mobile device? Never going to to happen. If you gave me the phone and service free for a year I don't think I'd trade in an iPhone for Windows Mobile.

The hardware itself kicks the everliving crap out of any iphone device. Kicks the crap out of any mobile phone actually.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    What a dumb commercial.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    What a godawful ad...these guys at the ad agency might have lost the account, but they didn't give the money back for sure .

But I guess that happens to palm because they lack an inside vision of how to market and advertise the product (which apple doesn't) and they rely on some morons from an ad agency to advertise it instead. Which of course is not the case with apple...

I am thinking of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent by ms on shoe and other moronic ads... but they don't even have half decent products. Palm does, and the pre is a pretty nice phone if one is objective about it, shame it gets buried in such poor advertisement. And it will be a shame if palm goes under. I think they are one of those companies that actually foster competition and innovation instead of ripping others off or selling crapware...
  • Reply 26 of 48
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    What a godawful ad...these guys at the ad agency might have lost the account, but they didn't give the money back for sure .

But I guess that happens to palm because they lack an inside vision of how to market and advertise the product (which apple doesn't) and they rely on some morons from an ad agency to advertise it instead. Which of course is not the case with apple...

I am thinking of the hundreds of millions of dollars spent by ms on shoe and other moronic ads... but they don't even have half decent products. Palm does, and the pre is a pretty nice phone if one is objective about it, shame it gets buried in such poor advertisement. And it will be a shame if palm goes under. I think they are one of those companies that actually foster competition and innovation instead of ripping others off or selling crapware...
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

These art house style ads may get rave reviews from the more pretentious ad industry critics but they don't sell product. This lesson was learned long ago when Infiniti came out with those stupid tree-in-a-meadow ads. Apparently the folks over at Palm were playing hooky when the topic was covered in class. How much of their scarce capital did Palm blow on that feckless ad campaign? They could have asked any of us whether those ads were effective and we'd give them the right answer for a thousandth of their ad budget.

I remember those infiniti ads...just terrible and allowed Lexus to take off and never look back.

'The trouble with advertising is 50% of it works and 50% of it doesn't. The problem is I don't know which 50% is working!' GM executive.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Wrongo. Throughout most of its history Apple has relied on TBWA Chiat/Day in Los Angeles for its advertising. They're the guys who've created some of the most memorable campaigns in all of advertising, including the George Orwell-styled Super Bowl commercial in 1984 and the recent "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" series. The number of awards won for Apple advertising are almost too numerous to mention.

It takes two to tango. Corporate morons are equally responsible as agencies for off-target, boring and ineffective advertising. Conversely, the winners like Apple demonstrate a convergence of creative and management genius.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Doh! I thought that T-Mowould give you $350 if you bring your unlocked iPhone to their network. I was about to jump on this offer, but I guess all it is is a call to trade an iPhone to an Android and there is no way I would do that at this point.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Coverage is relative to where you are. I have an iPhone running on T-Mobile's network in Ann Arbor Michigan. The only time I experience dropped calls is when I am talking with my iPhone using body who is on AT&T. Any network is strong holds.

Further, T-Mobile has better customer service, and the rates are better, especially with the family plans. That doesn't mean I'd consider buying an HDs phone.

Apple really needs to be careful though. By not including companies like T-Mobile and maybe even Verizon (even though in my view Verizon is worst then AT&T), it is opening the door for companies using Android to take serious root. Everybody who was willing to jump ship has likely already done so. Some people are tied to certain networks regardless of what phone they use because their work provides discounts only on a certain network.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

They aren't paying people to take the phones, they are paying iphone users. If TMobile payed me to use the HD2, I would.

My issue with TMobile is coverage. Their customer support was AMAZING, but coverage was bad. I had heard rumors, however, that places in new york city see upwards of about 10mbps download speed on tmobile's network with the HD2, so if I lived there I'd have one lol.

The HD2 rocks. It just needs to be on all the networks to do well, like the TP2.

• Reply 31 of 48
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

And it will be a shame if palm goes under. I think they are one of those companies that actually foster competition and innovation instead of ripping others off or selling crapware...

You may be overlooking the USB ID spoofing to fool iTunes deal.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It's worse than that, the HD2 is a WinMo phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Doh! I thought that T-Mowould give you $350 if you bring your unlocked iPhone to their network. I was about to jump on this offer, but I guess all it is is a call to trade an iPhone to an Android and there is no way I would do that at this point.

• Reply 33 of 48
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    You should be comparing T-Mobile with AT&T iPhones with the 3G turned off, after all that is how you are using it with T-Mobile.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Coverage is relative to where you are. I have an iPhone running on T-Mobile's network in Ann Arbor Michigan. The only time I experience dropped calls is when I am talking with my iPhone using body who is on AT&T. Any network is strong holds.

Further, T-Mobile has better customer service, and the rates are better, especially with the family plans. That doesn't mean I'd consider buying an HDs phone.

Apple really needs to be careful though. By not including companies like T-Mobile and maybe even Verizon (even though in my view Verizon is worst then AT&T), it is opening the door for companies using Android to take serious root. Everybody who was willing to jump ship has likely already done so. Some people are tied to certain networks regardless of what phone they use because their work provides discounts only on a certain network.

• Reply 34 of 48
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Quote:

And it will be a shame if palm goes under. I think they are one of those companies that actually foster competition and innovation instead of ripping others off or selling crapware...

You may be overlooking the USB ID spoofing to fool iTunes deal.

Didn't Palm also come up with WebOS mainly by poaching Apple engineers and execs?
  • Reply 35 of 48
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Did she say, "bing, bing, bing"?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The phone itself is incredible. The OS is a lame duck, however.

Well it is and it isn't. See, it's always been said that windows mobile is clunky, and the ui simply wasn't designed for touch as well as say android or webos, but with the HD2 the clunkness is gone because of a 1ghz processor, and the UI is touch friendly since the screen is so large. Even the smallest most annoying buttons are now very easy to touch.

WM is a very capable OS, but it definitely is getting dated. I still like it, but I'm the first to admit it's downsides. I think MS is making a mistake with this windows phone 7, but what do I know? My response to wp7 is to go to Android, and I'm not alone.

Whenever someone sees me on my TP2 and asks about it, and the conversation starts leaning towards them getting it, I simply ask them what they want to do with a phone. The TP2 is like the ipad in that nobody can sell an ipad to you without knowing YOU first. It's not for everyone.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

You should be comparing T-Mobile with AT&T iPhones with the 3G turned off, after all that is how you are using it with T-Mobile.

Oh for real? I didn't know that. That blows.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Did she say, "bing, bing, bing"?

That's exactly what I heard too.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Probably a very wise move... the ads were rather bizarre to some.

Now they really need to get more people to try the Palm Pre, as it's the absolute benchmark for ease-of-use and smartphone ergonomics.

Additionally: Now that it comes with free WiFi Hot Spot capabilities, it's quite the compelling choice.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    Previously I had an original iPhone unlocked on T-Mobile (I even had it working with data--EDGE of course, as this was before the iPhone 3G). I got tired of fighting with Apple about who owned my phone, sold the iPhone, and got the T-Mobile/Google G1.

The G1 was an excellent phone out of the gate. I like the hardware keyboard, even at the expense of the additional weight. It is superior to the original iPhone but not the 3GS.

However, Google has simply not kept up with software updates for the phone. At the same time, all of their other carriers came out with their own UIs on newer phones, resulting in several different deployed versions of Android with several different custom, proprietary interfaces.

It is my understanding that Google is aware of this and is going to try to get all Android devices to version 2.1. However, the damage is done. By "open," Google means Android is open to cell companies--not to you and me. For proof of this, try installing a tethering app without getting "root" on your phone, or upgrading the OS to the latest version without hacks. (I thought "open" meant it was my phone...)

And so I've come full circle. At this point I want back the polish and consistency Apple brings with its walled garden. I'm just unwilling to switch to AT&T.