Apple plans 5- to 7-inch $400 iPad for early 2011 - report

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple could be planning a smaller, cheaper version of its iPad tablet device with a screen size of 5-inches to 7-inches, and a price under $400, for launch in the first quarter of 2011, according to a new report.

Citing its senior analyst, Mingchi Kuo, DigiTimes reported Thursday that Apple is "expected" to release the new device in early 2011. Kuo cited "talks with upstream component sources," who said the device will focus mostly on reading and other mobile tasks that do not have a "high demand" for text input.

The analyst also said he believes the forthcoming HP Slate will not have an impact on sales of Apple's iPad, largely due to its Intel processor which consumes more power than Apple's custom-built A4. With virtually no competition in the tablet space, Apple managed to sell 300,000 iPads on its first day of availability.

The first-generation iPad has a 9.7-inch LCD, LED backlit screen with IPS technology. The existing iPhone and iPod touch have screen sizes of 3.5 inches.

Last year, reports suggested Apple tested screen sizes ranges from 4 inches to 12 inches in size as its iPad was in the prototype phase. Some of the orders placed were said to be enough for a significant small production run, rather than just a simple sample.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    that is actually the perfect size for the iPad IMHO. I love the iPad i have now, but i would put it on the shelf for a 6" model.
  • Reply 2 of 84
    nizzardnizzard Posts: 58member
    As big as my dick and just as portable.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    crankycranky Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Five fucking inches? Why not just get an iPhone?

Go away troll!!
  • Reply 4 of 84
    ruirui Posts: 4member
    Apple's native resolution for the iPad is HD's 1024-by-768-pixel.

Since the apps are optimized for a fixed size, if they were to reduce the screen size, the same resolution would be the same and only the dot pix would change.

I don't think Apple would delute the user experience like that.

Its just not an option. You can't just carve up a new product nich basically on screen size between Laptop and NetPc and turn around and blow this away.

Microsoft could do this, Apple won't.

Its just stupid. But I do give points for the analysts to keep AAPL pumping up!
  • Reply 5 of 84
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I'd rather see it go the other way: 8-1/2 x 11" screen. Only then could I seriously consider scanning everything on a regular basis and expect instant access to all the mundane documents that otherwise clutter up my office.

Yes, you can read everything now in a scaled-down format, but that's imposing on the user for the sake of the hardware. Having the option for a larger iPad (obviously at higher cost) would virtually eliminate such compromises and put paperless on par with paper. And having a larger screen for video playback never hurts either...

(And one could still use a smaller model for longer reading sessions and better portability.)
  • Reply 6 of 84
    I don't see this happening. I, for one, wouldn't want a screen smaller than the iPads. I have my iPhone for that. If anything, I wouldn't mind a wall mountable version to function as a bedroom TV...maybe a 19-25" iPad? That'd be awesome.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple could be planning a smaller, cheaper version of its iPad tablet device with a screen size of 5-inches to 7-inches, and a price under $400, for launch in the first quarter of 2011, according to a new report.

Citing its senior analyst, Mingchi Kuo, DigiTimes reported Thursday that Apple is "expected" to release the new device in early 2011. Kuo cited "talks with upstream component sources," who said the device will focus mostly on reading and other mobile tasks that do not have a "high demand" for text input.

Elsewhere in this area of the AppleInsider.com forum, we learned that the iPad is loaded inside--so much so that the device components alone account for a majority of the retail price. Every single component inside the iPad serves a critical function. A device or reduced size must necessarily be a different from the iPad.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

As big as my dick and just as portable.

Reported.

What happened to 'gay'? Did you just sign up to show off your sexual insecurities?
  • Reply 9 of 84
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Yeah I don't buy it.

I have no doubt they prototype a great many products - but doing another size so soon can start to affect developers enthusiasm.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I wouldn't mind a wall mountable version to function as a bedroom TV...maybe a 19-25" iPad? That'd be awesome.

I do think there's room for an iMac-like 22" or 28" screen - high resolution, touch?, iPad brains. It should do everything an iPad can plus act as a remote terminal to a regular Mac. So with one regular Mac in the house, you could have 5 screens capable of being iPads OR acting as Macs if they have a keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 84
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    [Quadra 610] And the fragmentation continues [Quadra 610]

That being said, I call BS on this. After all, it's coming from DigiTimes, the National Enquirer of the tech news business.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitlnoize View Post

I don't see this happening. I, for one, wouldn't want a screen smaller than the iPads. I have my iPhone for that. If anything, I wouldn't mind a wall mountable version to function as a bedroom TV...maybe a 19-25" iPad? That'd be awesome.

it's ok, everyone will have forgotten about this rumour by then.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    macadictmacadict Posts: 31member
    this is a no go, wont it be a gigantic pain for developers to develop an app for the iphone ipad 10 ipad 5 and the ipad 7??????

why dont they just eliminate the ipod touch and sell the ipad 5 instead?

just random thoughts
  • Reply 13 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    The other direction of size is also coming I bet. One day, once the software is available I can see a 30" or larger version on a desk for applications like Final Cut Pro. Obviously this would require a touch version of the full OS X and hardware of Mac Pro levels, not the iPhone OS and A4 Chip, but I can see the possibilities here. The large version I can imagine would lie on the desk top at a slight angle and it would be almost like playing a keyboard.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Ipad is ~130 ppi, iPhone is ~160. iPhone density would be an 8" screen. Anything else would really be a tough sell.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

this is a no go, wont it be a gigantic pain for developers to develop an app for the iphone ipad 10 ipad 5 and the ipad 7??????

why dont they just eliminate the ipod touch and sell the ipad 5 instead?

just random thoughts

While there might be some logic to it, it is not consistent with Apple's current development system. They went to the trouble of adding the iPad to the SDK just this year. They're not going to change it that dramatically so soon.

If Apple intended for the iPad to be multiple sizes, they would have made the iPad SDK revision support multiple resolutions so that the developer could write once and deploy on an infinite number of screen sizes (like Mac OS X, Linux, Windows, etc). The fact that the screen sizes are locked into the SDK suggests strongly that the rumor is BS.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    A smaller form factor will have a battery life problem, I guess. A smaller screen takes less power, but for the CPU, it is the same as with the larger brother. Doesn't feel likely.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    macadictmacadict Posts: 31member
    but still developer would have to develop differently because of the physical screen size, ipad 10 apps would look really really small and very hard to use if if the tap areas are simply reduced in size by resolution. resolution would not solve the problem, think off how an ipad app would work on a ihpone screen? and vice versa an ipad 5 or iphone app seem ridiculously small on the ipad 10, even though pixel doubling sort of solves this
  • Reply 18 of 84
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I doubt this. They are just now addressing the (still open) debate of "why do I need something between an iPhone and a MB" and within a year's time, they are going to be addressing "why do I need something between an iPhone and something between an iPhone and a MB"?

No way.
  • Reply 19 of 84
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I totally don't see this happening. It would cannibalize iPod touch and iPad sales. Just doesn't make sense any way you slice it.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    simonmtlsimonmtl Posts: 42member
    This rumor belongs on "Page 2". It doesn't hold any logic in reality. As if they wanted tablets to become the next laptops, and offer different screen sizes & different price points.

Pitiful rumor; wonder who it serves? It's a negative rumor as far as I'm concerned - talking about possible versions of a product which just shipped. But wait! There's the HP Slate which comes in that SAME form factor + size! Wow, genius!