Apple plans 5- to 7-inch $400 iPad for early 2011 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Sort of sounds familiar.

Didn't these idiots say that Apple would be coming out with a cheaper and smaller iPhone?

Uh, yeah.

I think the iPad is at the sweet spot IMO.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    That sounds like a good move. The Touch would then be available in 3 different sizes, which makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Elsewhere in this area of the AppleInsider.com forum, we learned that the iPad is loaded inside--so much so that the device components alone account for a majority of the retail price. Every single component inside the iPad serves a critical function. A device or reduced size must necessarily be a different from the iPad.

C'mon. It can be as small as the Touch and still function in pretty much the identical manner.
  • Reply 24 of 84
    ilogicilogic Posts: 298member
    Stock manipulators!
  • Reply 25 of 84
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

As big as my dick and just as portable.

Not a good first post
  • Reply 26 of 84
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

I'd rather see it go the other way: 8-1/2 x 11" screen. Only then could I seriously consider scanning everything on a regular basis and expect instant access to all the mundane documents that otherwise clutter up my office.

Yes, you can read everything now in a scaled-down format, but that's imposing on the user for the sake of the hardware. Having the option for a larger iPad (obviously at higher cost) would virtually eliminate such compromises and put paperless on par with paper. And having a larger screen for video playback never hurts either...

(And one could still use a smaller model for longer reading sessions and better portability.)

Won't happen. "The world" uses the A4 format, 8.5 x 11" is only used in the US. Apple will want to sell their products globally.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

As big as my dick and just as portable.

This story is about a smaller iPad, not the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

This story is about a smaller iPad, not the iPod Touch.

you mean the ipod shuffle
  • Reply 29 of 84
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I think it'll be right between what an ipod touch is and what the ipad is. So ipod touch is like 3.5 inches? ipad is 10? 7 inches seems to fill the gap the best. Both would be cool too lol

This raises some questions though, like will 9.7 ipad apps run on 7?
  • Reply 30 of 84
    iPad mini? how many times can they repeat this marketing idea..

if it is borderless... maybe.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    There is no way they are going to do this. There is no reason to have a device between the iPhone and the current iPad.
  • Reply 32 of 84
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Here we go again. The iPad was just released few days ago and the rumor of new iPad already started. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
  • Reply 33 of 84
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

...I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I don't see it happening at all. I think they should establish the iPad in it's position between the iPod Touch and the MB before worrying about squeezing something else in between the iPod and the iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 84
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    As Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush used to say, "Nah Gah Dahit."
  • Reply 35 of 84
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Sort of sounds familiar.

Didn't these idiots say that Apple would be coming out with a cheaper and smaller iPhone?

Uh, yeah.

I think the iPad is at the sweet spot IMO.

Yes, it's exactly like the smaller iPhone rumors* that have, and will lead nowhere. A smaller iPad, besides the resolution issues mentioned, still lacks the portability of an iPhone/iPod touch, but loses much of the advantage of the size of the iPad, like a reasonably sized keyboard, and providing a good size for reading, viewing web pages, etc.

I don't see apple doing this.

* if the word 'rumors' doesn't even give it too much credibility
  • Reply 36 of 84
    No.

They.

Aren't.

STFU.
  • Reply 37 of 84
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

[Quadra 610] And the fragmentation continues [Quadra 610]

That being said, I call BS on this. After all, it's coming from DigiTimes, the National Enquirer of the tech news business.

You missed the "Great" part to that fragmentation.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Elsewhere in this area of the AppleInsider.com forum, we learned that the iPad is loaded inside--so much so that the device components alone account for a majority of the retail price. Every single component inside the iPad serves a critical function. A device or reduced size must necessarily be a different from the iPad.

Exactly.

Personally I think someone is blowing smoke. Found out that Apple, in testing, had gotten a couple dozen screens and ran with this 'knowledge'

for all we know, they could be test a new paying system to go to something a little bit than the touches they know. Or a touch screen for the new super Apple TV etc
  • Reply 39 of 84
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I do think there's room for an iMac-like 22" or 28" screen - high resolution, touch?, iPad brains. It should do everything an iPad can plus act as a remote terminal to a regular Mac. So with one regular Mac in the house, you could have 5 screens capable of being iPads OR acting as Macs if they have a keyboard.

I think the more likely thing is that Apple will revamp all their monitors within the next year so that they are touch capable. Isn't Samsung already doing that? I know someone was telling me the other day some major company was making their entire line of monitors touch capable.

I don't think something that big being wall mounted and used largely with the touch interface makes much sense tho. I could see wall mounting an iPad and using it with some specialized apps to control your home. Maybe wall mount an iMac and use your iPhone or iPad as a remote control. As you walk in the room you could step up to it and get a movie or tv program started then sit down and use your remote for whatever. Touch only really makes sense when you are right there tho and not many people would be standing there like that for long.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Not a good first post

it is if what he wanted was attention. you (and a couple others) gave it to him. you 'fed the troll' as the saying goes.

this world would be much better if folks would simply add them to ignore and not reposted their crap so those that are ignoring still have to read it in your quotes.