Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

Comments

• Reply 41 of 99
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdcat View Post

Continue to do what they do best: refine a superior OS.

I have W7 on my Mac Mini (thanks to Parallels) and...it's a kludge. I probably wasted my money.

I agree... you probably did waste your money on the Mac Mini, as it's really not much of a computer.
  • Reply 42 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sort of similar to the self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!

You are stalking me. What's up with that?
  • Reply 43 of 99
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I guess I'll go ahead and be the contrary one. I thought the commercials were mediocre at best. The only part of them any good was John Hodgman. Not sure if the commercials could have survived the first couple with another actor in that position. Still not sure how Justin Long - as boring as he is, could be used to represent a Mac.

Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?

Why would you want to show the MacOS interface. There's nothing to see. It's just an interface. You can see it in any TV show, if you really want to see it. Most TV shows show off Macs.

The best part of the "Get a Mac" adds were they were simple and translated the computer experience to something anyone could understand, real life. They also had good comedic timing.
  • Reply 44 of 99
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I just discovered the "Drunk Jeff Goldblum Mac" ads. Apparently they just slow down the ads and it sounds like Jeff Goldblum is drunk. They're hysterical.

Internet

Hilarious
  • Reply 45 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

hing. In that ad Mac said every Macbook comes with magnetic power cords

Those magnetic power cords are brilliant. IMO, they are the best design feature on the MBP. I wish my laptop had one.
  • Reply 46 of 99
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, sort of similar to the self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!

That has to be one of the lamest/weakest comebacks in the entire history of this forum...
  • Reply 47 of 99
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me.

Uhm, no. They've already made all the points necessary regarding the problems of Windows, people already know this, so there's nothing much left to be said on the matter. Apple is also no longer viewed as the underdog, but more the alpha male, so it's time for them to assume that role.

Quote:

It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

And yes.

My guess would be that they are most likely to follow in the pattern of the iPhone ads, which are, I think, very effective at showing people the ways in which the iPhone can enhance their lives. Then again, they may have some even better ideas in the works.
  • Reply 48 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

That has to be one of the lamest/weakest comebacks in the entire history of this forum...

Don't feed the trolls.
  • Reply 49 of 99
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    My favorite ad was the one with Giselle representing iMovie (I assume it was iMovie and not Final Cut Studio) and some dude dressed as a woman looking like crap representing MovieMaker (assuming they were targeting MovieMaker). She's not all that for my tastes, but far superior to the PC product.
  • Reply 50 of 99
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Why would you want to show the MacOS interface. There's nothing to see. It's just an interface. You can see it in any TV show, if you really want to see it. Most TV shows show off Macs.

The best part of the "Get a Mac" adds were they were simple and translated the computer experience to something anyone could understand, real life. They also had good comedic timing.

Comment on the underlined part. It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.

Granted, we probably watch different shows though.
  • Reply 51 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Apple is also no longer viewed as the underdog, but more the alpha male, so it's time for them to assume that role.

They are hardly the alpha male when it comes to computer sales. More like the runt of the litter.

But in other markets, they certainly ARE the alpha male. This advertising development, when combined with the high-profile, repeated statement that "we are now a mobile device company" makes me think that Apple will deemphasize their computer business in favor of their gadget business.

They have NEVER had such sales success. The computer business is a boat anchor at this point.

It makes sense to me that they will concentrate on the successful products, and slow down on the computer advertising and development.

Is it possible that the recent feud with Adobe is because they are slowing down their Mac development? And that without Photoshop et.al. the market for Macs is going to shrink?

Is the Adobe feud a third piece of info to factor into all of this?
  • Reply 52 of 99
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

They won't go that simple. Hopefully. What they need is something more like showing a specific and stated group using macs. Like how they do those highlights on their site. But in viral and ad form. They could even do something where they have a 4 part video and run each part in order during the ad breaks on a particular show. Especially if they could try it thematically to the show.

actually they could do the same thing with the ipad. they are on that direction with the shopper, concert etc ads for the iphone

Also I suspect I know the truth with the rumors. Contracts. THey are up, they have no more renewals built in and doing a new one would cost Apple a small fortune cause these guys are bigger than they were before. So Apple is considering not continuing.
  • Reply 53 of 99
    asianbobasianbob Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Uhm, no. They've already made all the points necessary regarding the problems of Windows, people already know this, so there's nothing much left to be said on the matter. Apple is also no longer viewed as the underdog, but more the alpha male, so it's time for them to assume that role.

In a way, you're both right. Windows 7 did take care of most of the "issues" that the Mac ads use against the PC when MS put Vista out as the "flagship" Windows. And there are only so many ways you can rehash the same things before it just becomes stale and has the TV audience just rolling their eyes at yet another "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercial.

Like you said, Apple said what it had to say and now there's no need to keep saying it.
  • Reply 54 of 99
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

Keep drinking that kool-aid!
  • Reply 55 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b real View Post

I guess no one does a smear campaign that twists truths better than apple... actually AT&T might take that one...

iDon't comes to mind.

Not to mention Verizon's map ad wasn't completely truthful either

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The other possibility is that Apple is less interested in the Mac now that they are a mobile device company.

Apple is not a mobile device company (in the sense they are dropping their computers). they are both.

That said, they will likely focus a lot of ad more on the mobiles, not because they like them more, but because they are the gateway. A good chunk of Apple's revenue comes from bring over switchers and bring in those that wouldn't consider a computer, like the older gens. A big iMac is kind of scary. A little ipad not so much. The ads draw them into the store to look at the little things, that curiosity makes them wander around. They start thinking about how they were already talking about replacing that slow old PC, or maybe they don't need the grandsons to help them back up an ipad (if they got it). and so on.
  • Reply 56 of 99
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Blah blah blah...

Sorry, but none of your points make any sense.
  • Reply 57 of 99
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

iDon't comes to mind.

Not to mention Verizon's map ad wasn't completely truthful either

Kind of yes. They used slightly older 3G coverage maps for AT&T, but they weren't too far off. I do think they could have at least color coded the 3G vs 2G coverage for AT&T, but that would defeat the purpose of the 3G coverage comparisons.
  • Reply 58 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Kind of yes. They used slightly older 3G coverage maps for AT&T, but they weren't too far off. I do think they could have at least color coded the 3G vs 2G coverage for AT&T, but that would defeat the purpose of the 3G coverage comparisons.

not to mention

They were using a pure geographical map where some of their coverage areas were lower in population, where ATT looks at it in terms of population not map

The speeds of 3g for the two companies are not the same, because 3g isn't a standardized term.

etc.

all details left out because they muddy up the waters of saying they are better than ATT

just like folks are saying Apple did in the Get a Mac ads. Just like folks say Microsoft did in the laptop hunter ads
  • Reply 59 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.

Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?

I am in the business, I make TV ads for a business as well as TV shows for ESPN etc.. Hence collecting the best is a good idea. Why the need to be sarcastic? Tell me what you do so I can try to think of some smart ass comments too. On second thoughts don't bother I wouldn't stoop nor waste the time.
  • Reply 60 of 99
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    I'm going to miss the John hodgeman ads, they were brilliant and I loved them, truly wonderful piece of work they were. Ah well, Apple has become much bigger than its competitors when it comes to quality consumer products, and everyone is trying to keep pace with them and failing at it. So its time Apple moved on and sit in that chair above its competitors all the while continuing to lead the charge in innovation, ease of use and quality.