MS Office need to recolor equations

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Wow microsoft is stupid stupid stupid.

I need to put equations into a powerpoint file with a dark background. Simple enough using the supplied equation editor. Problem is equation editor only give you a black font. I need to recolor it white in Powerpointless. No longer possible in Office 2008 as far as I know.

Solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    As much as I dislike Microsoft, I still believe in truth. Equation Editor is not a Microsoft product. It is a cut-down version of MathType by Design Science. Next, you do not need to put equations into a PowerPoint presentation with a dark background. You want to put equations into a PowerPoint presentation with a dark background. You made the choice of the dark background. Choices have consequences. I guessing that the Equation Editor issue is not the only one.

I would suggest that you create your equations in a vector graphics editor which will give you greater control over your fonts. You can then paste or import your equations in all their glory into the presentation. Going forward, you may upgrade Equation Editor to MathType. MathType supports color in its equations.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Actually I didn't choose this slide design ... it was trust upon me.

By your answer I would take it that you know of now way to recolor the font for equations given my current software mix?

I may upgrade the editor.

Truly unbelievable to me that MS could screw this up so badly.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

You have my sympathy.

Quote:

By your answer I would take it that you know of now way to recolor the font for equations given my current software mix?

I have no idea what you have available. If you are limited, however, to Microsoft Office, then you are SOL. You cannot expect to build fine furniture with just a hammer and a saw. Likewise, you need the software tools that will allow you to conduct the jobs that have been tasked to you.

Quote:

I may upgrade the editor.

What other choice do you have?

Quote:

Truly unbelievable to me that MS could screw this up so badly.

To repeat myself, Equation Editor is not a Microsoft product. It is a Design Science product that Microsoft provides as a convenience to its Office customers. I paid cold hard cash for my first equation editor. It was Expressionist from Prescience, now known as MathEQ from Mathmonkeys. The ability to color equations is a feature of MathEQ. Design Science also provides provides the ability to color equations. You just have to pay for this functionality. It is a feature of MathType, Equation Editor's fee-based big brother.

There is nothing unbelievable about providing desired features exclusively to customers who pay extra. To the contrary, it is the norm.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Well, tHrust back then!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

To repeat myself, Equation Editor is not a Microsoft product. It is a Design Science product that Microsoft provides as a convenience to its Office customers. I paid cold hard cash for my first equation editor. It was Expressionist from Prescience, now known as MathEQ from Mathmonkeys. The ability to color equations is a feature of MathEQ. Design Science also provides provides the ability to color equations. You just have to pay for this functionality. It is a feature of MathType, Equation Editor's fee-based big brother.

There is nothing unbelievable about providing desired features exclusively to customers who pay extra. To the contrary, it is the norm.

It's the software that installs with Office and what Microsoft provides for making equations. The software isn't that bad as an editor but this problem has been known for a long time and they removed the one option in their own software to recolor the equation. Rather stupid of microsoft.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    I don't know if the alternatives posted here are commercial or not, but if you like LaTeX typesetting, which is the standard in mathematical documents, you can try LaTeXiT (free software, but no one stops you to make a donation if you like it).

It is a simplified way to write in LaTeX language, customize and isolate by exporting to a variety of formats (PDF, EPS, TIFF, PNG) an equation. You can then insert it as a figure in a Powerpoint or other document. It can even import back a PDF it generated for editing. Served me very well in the past. The downside I see is that it requires a working LaTeX installation (also free) in your system, which people generally don't want just for occasionally generating an equation.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Just to turn the knife more ... when I look at "About Equation Editor" it says it's a Microsoft product.

I used to use LaTeX to great effect. It was ideal for my dissertation because I could define variables and parts of equations for reuse. Then if I needed to edit the part I did it in one place and the change happened everywhere. Maybe I'll look into it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Just to turn the knife more ... when I look at "About Equation Editor" it says it's a Microsoft product.

Too cute by half. The About Equation Editor dialog box for the Office 2008 version of Equation Editor reads thus:
    Microsoft® Equation Editor 2008 for Mac

Version 12.1.0 (080205)

© 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved

© 1990-2007 Design Science, Inc.
    Ah-hah! you say. Microsoft has owned the copyright to Equation Editor since 2007. Um-m-m-m, no. The About Equation Editor dialog box for Office 2004 version of Equation Editor reads thus:
    Microsoft® Equation Editor 2004 for Mac

© 2004 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved

© 1990-2004 Design Science, Inc.
    It appears that Design Science has a co-branding agreement with Microsoft for Equation Editor. However, Equation Editor is not exclusive to Microsoft. Numerous other developers adopted it for numerous other products. I was quite disappointed when Apple adopted Equation Editor for AppleWorks. In my considered opinion, there were better editors. Whether provided by Apple, Microsoft, or some other developer, I have never seen a difference among contemporaneous versions of Equation Editor. The one exception is that they are not interchangeable. That is to say, the Apple version will not work with Microsoft software and vice-versa. The same is true of all other versions.

I have followed Macintosh equation editors--including MathType, Equation Editor, and their competitors--since 1989. Assertions to the contrary notwithstanding, I have no evidence that any Mac version of Equation Editor ever supported equation coloring. Therefore, Microsoft could not have removed the feature from the current version.