Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just curious, I truthfully don't know, do Apple users hang out in the forums that support your view point and make stupid and hateful comments all the time? I am fascinated that you feel it is worth the time.

This is the problem. There are so many members here trying to battle against what they call "trolls" all they are doing is creating more trolls that are getting worse. In the last week with all the signatures about not feeding the trolls all it has done is create more trolls that will continue to get more nasty.
  • Reply 62 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple is not a mobile device company (in the sense they are dropping their computers). they are both.

Well, we both can guess.

I base my guess on the fact that at least twice, high-ranking employees made the statement "We are now a mobile device company" at extremely high profile events.

You base your guess on the revenue generated by their computers. But the computer market is both saturated and extremely competition. And Apple owns a couple of non-computer device markets.

Given the repeated statement, and given the realities of the various markets, I'll stick with my guess: Apple is now a mobile device company, and that is what they will emphasize from now on.

And given the feud with Adobe, ISTM that Macs might lose the biggest and most high-end raison d'etre that exists for them: design work.

I dunno. This is all guesswork. Time will tell.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Why is Apple so reluctant to show the MacOS interface in their commercials?

First rule of sales: sell benefits, not features.

Second rule of sales: differentiate

Third rule of sales: sell lifestyle, not products

In a 30 second TV commercial, it's very difficult to differentiate on UI. And the truth is, from a static point of view, Windows and MacOS isn't that different and I would claim that Windows even has some advantages (better mini-Finder, etc.)

Apple has been absolutely brilliant on all three rules listed above. They focused on users' frustrations with the PC experience, they differentiated the Mac and they positioned the Mac as the machine of younger, calmer, cooler people as opposed to Hodgman's unstylish, uptight and out-of-shape character. And Apple was brilliant at balancing ease of use and hipness of design. (If you only focus on supposed ease of use, you wind up being AOL.)

But Microsoft hasn't done so badly either. While derivative and not totally credible (at least not to me), their "I'm a PC" campaign has attempted to reclaim the creative community. If Apple had executed that campaign, we'd all be praising it as a positive campaign that shows real users using real Macs in the real world.

And as others have noted, there was one troubling aspect to Apple's campaign: it focused more on what was wrong with a PC than what was right about the Mac. So while it was tremendously effective, it may be time to say goodbye to it. I think what Apple should focus on now is their ecosystem. It's the ecosystem that has made Apple the unbelievable success that it is. (52 week low on the stock is 115; it's 239 today. Not bad for a recession and for a product line that is considered to be overpriced.)
  • Reply 64 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, but none of your points make any sense.

If so, please refute my points.

This drive-by insult flinging is not illuminating.

Where did I go wrong?
  • Reply 65 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am in the business, I make TV ads for a business as well as TV shows for ESPN etc.. Hence collecting the best is a good idea.

Ah. That makes sense. In fact, that is kind of cool. You have a professional interest in the ads.
  • Reply 66 of 99
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RicMac View Post

Head on over to PC World and view the comments on any article mentioning the iPad to see what a real fanboy is (Windows Fanboys love to live in denial.)

Whatever, stop trolling Apple sites

Yep....you are right about that. I use both Operating Systems andf love them both. But I am a Mac most a forfront. But if think everyone here drinks some kind of Apple koolaid........you should checkout some of the Windows sites.... they drink Microsift koolaid over there. So if you are on a Apple fan site expect a Apple slanted opinion fan base and vice versa.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    My favorite one ever, and I still watch it when I need a good laugh, is "Choose a Vista" where PC spins the wheel and gets, "Lose a turn" and Mac says, "Didn't you make this?"

It's like when Windows when it crashes and working with a person from Microsoft. "Didn't you make this?" I can help but laugh. He knows about the ad and that I am a Mac person.
  • Reply 68 of 99
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

First rule of sales

First rule of rules: Too many rules....lol
  • Reply 69 of 99
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

...It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.....

Dunno.. probably product placement, and sometimes it's because that's the actual computer they use!! Apple has developed such a strong brand though; strong marketing + great products.

Funny how MSFT hired Seinfeld as a response, and MSFT stopped their ads.
  • Reply 70 of 99
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

You collect TV ads for products you like? I've never heard of that.

Do you save the ads for your car? Your breakfast cereal?

I have a original sales brochure for my 86 Jeep Cj7. Most people think its pretty cool when I show it to them. Both the Jeep and the brochure.
  • Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

They should go out with one big ball busting bang filled with as much misinformation as possible. Like so much so that people will never EVER buy a PC. A commercial so intense that families will sit around together and watch it, and headlines will be dedicated to it.

Here's my idea:

"Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm :COUGH: a PC"

"What's wrong PC?"

"I have AIDS! PC'S GIVE YOU FULL BLOWN AIDS"

Then the commercial ends with Apple logo and boom, Mac sales through the roof!

Ouch. My sides hurt from laughter. Damn you!
  • Reply 72 of 99
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Apple should stick to marketing its usability and longevity instead of bashing its competition.

I say Copy your iphone and ipad Ads. Just Show a person turning on the imac or laptop or what ever and using it then at the end flash the Name of the product .

I think those ads were quite effective. But you are right about leaning over and showing your neighbour how easy it is to do stuff on an Apple product. They will say "wow that is cool" all by themselves.
  • Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have a original sales brochure for my 86 Jeep Cj7. Most people think its pretty cool when I show it to them. Both the Jeep and the brochure.

That is cool.

But if you were to collect every sales brochure that Jeep made, I'd wonder about you.

Unless you were in the business of making sales brochures, in which case it would be more understandable.
  • Reply 74 of 99
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I have an original circa 1981 sales brochure for the (pre-Mac) Apple II line. Most people think it's pretty cool when I show it to them....both the Apples and the brochure...but they're SHOCKED at the prices, especially when translated into today's dollars.
  • Reply 75 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I have an original circa 1981 sales brochure for the (pre-Mac) Apple II line. Most people think it's pretty cool when I show it to them....both the Apples and the brochure...but they're SHOCKED at the prices, especially when translated into today's dollars.

It is pretty shocking. What did the original IBM PC cost? Was it something like $5,000 in 1980's money?
  • Reply 76 of 99
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

I dunno. This is all guesswork.

Truer words were never spoken .... congrats!
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Good. I was never a fan of those commercials. They're very well made and well acted of course but I prefer the iPhone ad campaign that just shows off how good the product is.
  • Reply 78 of 99
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    I will be sorry to see them end. They were great. But again as a lot of people have said , time to move on. I sure they will be replaced with something even more elegant and fun.
  • Reply 79 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Truer words were never spoken .... congrats!

I realize that your comment was a back-handed compliment.

That being said, I think that there's nothing wrong with being unsure, or guessing, or not having all the available info, or being wrong. And there's nothing wrong with admitting errors or uncertainties. All are preferable to being certain about untrue or unknowable things.
  • Reply 80 of 99
    I, trying to be as objective as possible, am very glad the commercials are going by the way side. Although extremely effective, they were IMO misleading to the average consumer, their target audience, like I said effective.

The problem is Apple has somehow mis-directed the world to make people believe that a Mac is magic box that doesn't have all the same architecture as a PC... The commercials need to focus on the true difference, the OS, and justify why the average consumer should spend an extra premium on the same hardware that could be bought for less on an IBM compatible machine. As well as justify why the consumer should spend that premium on very outdated hardware.

I also don't think it is fair to directly correlate every PC to Windows when one could just as easily use Linux, based on the same UNIX structure as OSX.

Sorry about the rant.