Apple sells 450,000 iPads in 5 days, users download 3.5 million apps

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple said Thursday that it has shipped over 450,000 iPads since the device went on sale this past Saturday, spurring 3.5 million app downloads for the new tablet device by its earliest adopters.

The Cupertino-based company said it's now serving over 185,000 applications through its App Store, including 3,500 designed for the iPad. In total, App Store shoppers have downloaded over 4 billion applications since the service went live.

The iBook's capability of the iPad has also seen a 'tremendous' response, with users downloading over 600,000 eBooks in the first 5 days.

In addition to the 450,000 iPads sold thus far, Apple also said it has shipped 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod touches, for a total of 85.5 million multitouch devices running that are running the iPhone OS and are capable of accessing the App Store.

Each of those devices runs a flavor of Apple's Safari Web browser, helping the iPhone OS garner a commanding 64% share of the mobile browser market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I guess its a flop then huh - watch for the stock to drop.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ifoneifone Posts: 15member
    Total flop....
  • Reply 3 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I admit it ... It was me.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    worth noting that at most 20 Apple stores were open on Sunday. so it's really more like 4 days for that sales number. say 4.5 since not all Best Buys were sold out

at this pace, if it holds they will hit 1 million around the 20th. before the rumored 3g and UK/Canada release date of the 24th.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    they better add flash to that thing, it's a total failure
  • Reply 6 of 25
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Is it time to announce that Apple is doomed and the iPad is a total failure
  • Reply 7 of 25
    they fell way short of the million units i projected, which was an arbitrary number i pulled out of my rear end. clearly the iPad is a flop.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    oxygenhoseoxygenhose Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr_furious View Post

they fell way short of the million units i projected, which was an arbitrary number i pulled out of my rear end. clearly the iPad is a flop.

Yes, I agree... total flop.

However since it's not popular with cool kids, I guess I can order one and not threaten my disenfranchised tech geek loner status.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    This whole iPad phenomenon suxs. I was hoping the stock would sell on the news big time... with a nasty drop. I wanted to increase shares with my SEP-IRA for 2009.

My next big chance to buy is going to come when Apple announces blowout earnings and the stock tanks as usual.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I guess its a flop then huh - watch for the stock to drop.

I hear the iPad is snappy, though.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Apple is doomed™.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

worth noting that at most 20 Apple stores were open on Sunday. so it's really more like 4 days for that sales number. say 4.5 since not all Best Buys were sold out

at this pace, if it holds they will hit 1 million around the 20th. before the rumored 3g and UK/Canada release date of the 24th.

No - five days: Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    extremeskaterextremeskater Posts: 2,248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I believe this article is a little misleading. Apple didn't sell an additional 450,000 iPads in five days this number included the pre orders.

So since the iPad has hit the stores and consumers have been able to try them Apple has sold 150,000 units the other 300,000 were pre ordered.

Which overall are still solid numbers.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

This whole iPad phenomenon suxs. I was hoping the stock would sell on the news big time... with a nasty drop. I wanted to increase shares with my SEP-IRA for 2009.

My next big chance to buy is going to come when Apple announces blowout earnings and the stock tanks as usual.

I'll see you on the way to $300.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The article said "since it went on sale Saturday"

So you can't count Friday \ now we are back to 4 days

with a rotten apple that definitely flopped out of the apple tree before it was ripe

Rotten apples taste so sweet
  • Reply 16 of 25
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I believe this article is a little misleading. Apple didn't sell an additional 450,000 iPads in five days this number included the pre orders.

So since the iPad has hit the stores and consumers have been able to try them Apple has sold 150,000 units the other 300,000 were pre ordered.

Which overall are still solid numbers.

First, it's well established that the 300,000 sold in the first 24 hour figure includes pre-orders. No one is attempting to hide that.

Second, your assumption all 300,000 purchases in the first 24 hours were pre-orders is very likely mistaken. Undoubtedly a large part was preorders but Apple sold plenty of walk-ins on that first day. Anecdotally, at my neighborhood Apple Store on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, the pre-opening lines of reserved and non-reserved were roughly the same size. Once everyone in both lines got their iPads - which happened pretty quickly, by 10 o'clock - all subsequent sales were walk-ins. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sold more iPads to walk-in buyers than pre-orders in that 24 hours and full weekend, at least in NYC, where Apple stores were open on Sunday. Even if it didn't, I think it's safe to say walk-in sales make up a healthy chunk of that first 300,000.

Ultimately, it's quite amazing that Apple is approaching 500,000 units less than a WEEK after this device went on say. That's probably more than all e-book readers have sold to date, Kindle included (if only Amazon would reveal real sale figures rather release deliberately opaque PR achievements like "most wished for device on Amazon on days starting with the letter 'S'" or nonsense like that.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Apple said they sold over 300,000 on the first day. Somewhere along the line that got translated to exactly 300,000. We don't know how many they sold that day.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

First, it's well established that the 300,000 sold in the first 24 hour figure includes pre-orders. No one is attempting to hide that.

Second, your assumption all 300,000 purchases in the first 24 hours were pre-orders is very likely mistaken. Undoubtedly a large part was preorders but Apple sold plenty of walk-ins on that first day. Anecdotally, at my neighborhood Apple Store on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, the pre-opening lines of reserved and non-reserved were roughly the same size. Once everyone in both lines got their iPads - which happened pretty quickly, by 10 o'clock - all subsequent sales were walk-ins. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple sold more iPads to walk-in buyers than pre-orders in that 24 hours and full weekend, at least in NYC, where Apple stores were open on Sunday. Even if it didn't, I think it's safe to say walk-in sales make up a healthy chunk of that first 300,000.

Ultimately, it's quite amazing that Apple is approaching 500,000 units less than a WEEK after this device went on say. That's probably more than all e-book readers have sold to date, Kindle included (if only Amazon would reveal real sale figures rather release deliberately opaque PR achievements like "most wished for device on Amazon on days starting with the letter 'S'" or nonsense like that.

Apple did not approach 500k units in less then a week, they sold 450k since the start of pre orders. This article is misleading. If Apple sold 450k units in 5 days they would have certainly announced 750kl units because that would have helped the stock price.

The 450k includes all pre orders which Apple has already stated has been 300k. So since the true release they hawe sold 150k units. This is simple math.

The iPad launch as been okay but I have been to the Apple store twice this week, there are no lines 9 our of 10 sold at my local Apple store is the basic model at 499.00. They also have plent of stock. I have used ti for hours and hours, its a big iPod Touch an okay device but not really all that exciting in fact the more you use it the more you discover its limitations. I know hard to believe on this forum
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'll see you on the way to $300.

Fingers crossed
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

I hear the iPad is snappy, though.

Speaking as one working with a tricked out Mac Pro on FiOS extreme normally, I can vouch the fact the iPad is VERY snappy