Actor says Apple's 'Get a Mac' ads could be at an end

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

You are stalking me. What's up with that?

How did you know he was talking about you?

Oh, wait. He referred to "self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!"... I guess it was obvious.

Never mind.

Quote:

They are hardly the alpha male when it comes to computer sales. More like the runt of the litter.

Right. Apple is the #5 computer vendor in the world. They have 90% of the sale of systems over $1,000. The rest of the industry's main selling point for the past 15 years has been 'more like a Mac'.

Runt of the litter, indeed.

Quote:

If so, please refute my points.

As soon as you come up with any rational ones.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beardo with the Weirdo View Post

I, trying to be as objective as possible, am very glad the commercials are going by the way side. Although extremely effective, they were IMO misleading to the average consumer, their target audience, like I said effective.

The problem is Apple has somehow mis-directed the world to make people believe that a Mac is magic box that doesn't have all the same architecture as a PC... The commercials need to focus on the true difference, the OS, and justify why the average consumer should spend an extra premium on the same hardware that could be bought for less on an IBM compatible machine. As well as justify why the consumer should spend that premium on very outdated hardware.

I also don't think it is fair to directly correlate every PC to Windows when one could just as easily use Linux, based on the same UNIX structure as OSX.

Sorry about the rant.

Except that the user who is being targeted with these ads doesn't know that there's even such a thing as an OS. They see what's on the screen and that is the computer to them.

Apple has NEVER considered Linux users to be their target audience. They're different extremes of the spectrum.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    Every time I see a MS ad that uses the "I'm a PC" line, I am reminded of the Apple ads and get this feeling that MS wants to portray themselves as some sort of victimized group that has been insulted by Apple. As if these PCs are people that we should feel sorry for, and look at these poor PCs, finally standing up for the respect that has been eluding them for so long.

It's just too much!

Why not just improve their product, maybe innovate? Instead it's this passive aggressive taking back of the PC epithet.
  • Reply 84 of 99
    ....as the current Microsoft TV ads are (and they are BAD, not just by Apple's standard, but by ALL TV ads standards in general), I believe the blame should go to the ad agency who came up with this lame concept, as much as it should go to the MS execs who picked the ad agency....and of course, the execs who actually approved of the ads....

Microsoft....as unsatisfying an experience as lip-syncing.
  • Reply 85 of 99
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Comment on the underlined part. It's my experience that Dells are used on TV shows more than Macs. Sometimes they cover up the logo, but you can definitely tell it's a Dell.

Granted, we probably watch different shows though.

House

Heroes

CSI-NY

CSI-Miami

Numbers

Without a Trace

... etc...
  • Reply 86 of 99
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beardo with the Weirdo View Post

I, trying to be as objective as possible, am very glad the commercials are going by the way side. Although extremely effective, they were IMO misleading to the average consumer, their target audience, like I said effective.

The problem is Apple has somehow mis-directed the world to make people believe that a Mac is magic box that doesn't have all the same architecture as a PC... The commercials need to focus on the true difference, the OS, and justify why the average consumer should spend an extra premium on the same hardware that could be bought for less on an IBM compatible machine. As well as justify why the consumer should spend that premium on very outdated hardware.

I also don't think it is fair to directly correlate every PC to Windows when one could just as easily use Linux, based on the same UNIX structure as OSX.

Sorry about the rant.

You just FAILED marketting 101. You're thinking what you (like all us geeks) want to see, not what your audience wants to see. A good part of the targetted audience are people that don't know anything about their computers and don't want to. So as you put Apple's "magic box" is the perfect concept, as the target audience doesn't care what's inside, as long as it does what it should without without problems.

Second, Apple doesn't win by talking about price. It's not about price, it's about how easy it works, plain and simple.
  • Reply 87 of 99
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How did you know he was talking about you?

Oh, wait. He referred to "self-hating time-wasters who collect pointless negative posts on Apple forums!"... I guess it was obvious.

Never mind.

Keep flinging the content free insults if you want to make this forum a better place. Not.

But so long as you asked, he was responding to my post. And my guess is that the connection between my post and his response was obvious to every intelligent person reading his response.

Quote:

Right. Apple is the #5 computer vendor in the world.

With 5% of the market. Hardly the alpha male. Not even a runner-up. More like an also-ran.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveStuff View Post

Every time I see a MS ad that uses the "I'm a PC" line, I am reminded of the Apple ads and get this feeling that MS wants to portray themselves as some sort of victimized group that has been insulted by Apple. As if these PCs are people that we should feel sorry for, and look at these poor PCs, finally standing up for the respect that has been eluding them for so long.

I think that you are exactly right.

Quote:

Why not just improve their product, maybe innovate? Instead it's this passive aggressive taking back of the PC epithet.

Well, in fact, Win7 is reported to not only much better than the previous product, Vista, but in addition, the equivalent of OS X in all important respects. So I'm not sure what you mean here. ISTM that they did indeed improve the product.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Second, Apple doesn't win by talking about price. It's not about price, it's about how easy it works, plain and simple.

That has been true traditionally. I was struck, however, that the price of the iPad is something which Apple emphasized, and continues to emphasize. I saw it as a new and interesting development.

Additionally, when asked why the Touch had no camera, Steve mentioned price.

Is this a new thing for Apple in general?
  • Reply 90 of 99
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    With the touch UI, the distinction between Apple and Microsoft et al. becomes self-evident, and to continue advertising in that vein becomes passe. Abandonment of the "I'm a Mac" advertising theme is consistent with hefty migration of touch UI features to the iMac and MacBook series of "appliances". Any advertisement of the touch UI becomes an advertisement of a much larger proportion of Apple's entire product line, making those advertising dollars much more efficient and helping to distance Apple even farther from the "competition".

Simultaneously, Microsoft's "I'm a PC" ads will seem completely backwater. (Thank goodness we won't have to see those painful ads anymore.)
  • Reply 91 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

You just FAILED marketting 101. You're thinking what you (like all us geeks) want to see, not what your audience wants to see. A good part of the targetted audience are people that don't know anything about their computers and don't want to. So as you put Apple's "magic box" is the perfect concept, as the target audience doesn't care what's inside, as long as it does what it should without without problems.

Probably why I'm a biochemist and not in marketing, haha. You make a good point and it has worked for them so far.

Now I'm just curious what the next strategy is going to be seen at every commercial break.
  • Reply 92 of 99
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

just shows how much of a success Windows 7 is. Now Apple has no grounds for an attack because Windows 7 is simpler, safer and very easy to use. even easier to use than MacOSX if you ask me. It's gonna be interesting to see what Apple does now.

I've got some slightly used Enron stock that you will probably want to buy as well...
  • Reply 93 of 99
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Quote:

What bugs me about MS using the "I'm a PC" tagline is that they've completely missed the point of the Apple ads.

Then again, so do many people on the Mac side. I have a T-Shirt from Mac World to prove it.

Long and Hodgman are not portraying a Mac User and a PC User, they are actually representing a Mac and a PC. "PC" doesn't have a problem with his computer crashing, he crashes himself. "Mac" doesn't have a computer with the features he mentions, he has those features himself. MS just don't seem to get the metaphor.

Also, the Windows 7 was my idea ads? You think MS are stealing your ideas while you sleep because you thought of some basic functionality that they decided to implement? Maybe you should sue them. Or at least wear a tinfoil hat at night.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anome View Post

What bugs me about MS using the "I'm a PC" tagline is that they've completely missed the point of the Apple ads.

Then again, so do many people on the Mac side. I have a T-Shirt from Mac World to prove it.

Long and Hodgman are not portraying a Mac User and a PC User, they are actually representing a Mac and a PC. "PC" doesn't have a problem with his computer crashing, he crashes himself. "Mac" doesn't have a computer with the features he mentions, he has those features himself. MS just don't seem to get the metaphor.

I know... this bugs the crap outta me. Every time I hear someone say "I'm a PC" I tell them they need to get some professional counseling, because they are in fact human... ignorant or stupid ones, but human none the less.
  • Reply 95 of 99
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Yep, they are classics. I have many but intend to get the complete set and save them for posterity.

Here they are, conveniently all in one place...

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/get-...-campaign.html
  • Reply 96 of 99
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Interesting sidelight on how this thread played out today. One user, who only made his first post on April 4, managed to get himself banned in four days after 253 posts, of which 18 among the first 90 on this thread today were his in less than a four-hour period. That'll happen when you camp under the basket and throw elbows at any and all comers, simply for the sake of a fight. Sic semper tyrranis.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Interesting sidelight on how this thread played out today. One user, who only made his first post on April 4, managed to get himself banned in four days after 253 posts, of which 18 among the first 90 on this thread today were his in less than a four-hour period. That'll happen when you camp under the basket and throw elbows at any and all comers, simply for the sake of a fight. Sic semper tyrranis.

Actually, I don't think that was a new user. I think he just started with a new nickname on April 4. That seems to be fairly standard practice for some of the Apple-haters here.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Actually, I don't think that was a new user. I think he just started with a new nickname on April 4. That seems to be fairly standard practice for some of the Apple-haters here.

Point well taken. In that case, there's an individual with some even more substantial emotional and behavioral problems.
  • Reply 99 of 99
    ps88jkps88jk Posts: 6member
    Microsoft continue to get great press with videos like these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEaiLtrH4HI

makes them seem more 'human'