iPad copy: HP Slate specs and prices leaked

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
See it all for yourself

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/ga...atespecs1.jpeg

Article

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...-less-netbook/

Edit: added YouTube Video link (it has a camera and uses the main screen as a viewer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeDal...layer_embedded

HP doesn't have the benefit of retail locations or media attention that Apple enjoys in order for this device to be a serious threat to the iPad in my estimation.

They also fail to mention if the Slate is a tablet computer or a accessory device like the iPad is.

I would seem to think it would be it's own standalone device given the specs, if so, it's a better option than the iPad, which requires owning a computer for updates and such.

People can get away with not owning a computer with the iPad, if they can borrow one from time to time. But not having access to one limits the iPads features and abilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    They are marketing it as a controlling device:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/05/h...-and-custom-i/

Their advertising is interesting because a few weeks ago, I posted the following:

and this seems to be exactly the route they are taking in their latest video:

Video camera on the front and back, the front for video conferencing, itunes to manage media content and sync to peripherals, HDTV output via HDMI, SD slot on the side (SDXC too). The HDTV thing is interesting because people who download P2P TV shows can have the device just for that purpose and play them direct to the TV, along with Youtube, Hulu etc.

It runs the HP Touchsmart UI on top of Windows 7, although I read somewhere there would be an Android model. It's x86 so it can run anything really (including OS X and/or an iPhone OS emulator should that ever come to light).

There are a few surprises with the HP though. The non-upgradable 1GB RAM, 802.11g only and no 9400M - it uses Intel GMA 500 graphics, which is a PowerVR chip like the iPad - might even be the same SGX 535, just rebranded by Intel.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-G...0.12614.0.html

It can do 1080p but it's not going to be great for any major Windows gaming. It's about 1/3 the speed of the GMA950.

The storage will likely be a PCI SSD 32GB/64GB so fast storage (>100MB/s vs 20MB/s for iPhone/iPad) that allows Virtual Memory so the 1GB RAM shouldn't be as bad but 2GB would have been better.

It will have a wide-angle TN but a TN nonetheless and gestures obviously won't be as good as the iPad.

I think it will certainly add some interest to the netbook sector but if the UI doesn't win people over, it ends up being a slower, more expensive netbook without a keyboard and people would be as well just buying the HP Mini 311 or upcoming Ion 2 netbooks.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Serious design flaws in the HP Slate.

TN Panel? Are you serious?

5hr Battery - Dealbreaker

The HP slate may not last on long flight including going through checkout in the airport.

Again if you're looking for an Apple portable computing for one single device buy a Macbook series notebook.

The iPad is a companion device and Apple has never stated otherwise.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    After all these years, HP and the also-rans *still* don't get it. They *still* don't get why and how Apple continues to amaze and impress.

Fighting a spec-war against Apple is a sure way to lose.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

After all these years, HP and the also-rans *still* don't get it. They *still* don't get why and how Apple continues to amaze and impress.

And yet, I would still rather have that than the iPad. I'm done supporting Apple's walled garden approach to devices.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

And yet, I would still rather have that than the iPad. I'm done supporting Apple's walled garden approach to devices.

And HP/Microsoft does not create their own walled garden? Every company wants to control their users and maximize profits so that's not the relevant point. HP and you seem to buy into the idea that stuffing the typical PC user experience into a tablet works, but that has failed with every mass market tablet, and putting Windows 7 on it won't suddenly fix the problems. Apple understands that a touch screen needs a touch based OS and apps designed for a touch screen. Yeah maybe that works into Apple's grand scheme, but that does not make them wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Serious design flaws in the HP Slate.

TN Panel? Are you serious?

5hr Battery - Dealbreaker

That would imply every laptop shipped to date has serious design flaws too though. Also, only Apple's latest laptop models reach 7 hours of battery usage. While IPS quality is much better, TN displays are usable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The HP slate may not last on long flight including going through checkout in the airport.

Long haul flights are not common and you probably won't use it for even 5 hours straight. Plus, 5 hours is taken from average power draw vs battery capacity. If you use a low power video mode with the GPU or low brightness book reading, it may be longer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610

Droid has done ok so far. I don't think a spec war is needed here. The HP Slate can be the only device you need, iPad can't. The HP Slate really goes for the netbook users.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacFP View Post

And HP/Microsoft does not create their own walled garden? Every company wants to control their users and maximize profits so that's not the relevant point. HP and you seem to buy into the idea that stuffing the typical PC user experience into a tablet works, but that has failed with every mass market tablet, and putting Windows 7 on it won't suddenly fix the problems. Apple understands that a touch screen needs a touch based OS and apps designed for a touch screen. Yeah maybe that works into Apple's grand scheme, but that does not make them wrong.

Please, spare me. You know exactly what I mean when I say walled garden and that is the relevant point. I'm tired of Apple deciding what I can and cannot run on devices I own. What really set me off is when they equated jailbreaking with attempting to take down the network. I'm tired of no multitasking (and that half assed crap they introduced today doesn't cut it) and I'm tired of seeing ads on devices I already pay for (also looking at you, TiVo). And if you had even an iota of experience using HPs other touch based PCs, you would know that the interface they use is far from the typical PC experience.