Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

My take is that in Jun oor July, Iphone os4 will have almost caught up to where Android is today.

I really expected to see some innovation here, and not just me-too additions of things which have been glaring omissions.

And iAds? WTF? Will I be able to turn off that "feature"?

I was waiting. But as of now, I've decided to ditch the iPhone and get a Nexus One.

As with copy/paste, Apple didn't just want to race in a "me-too" feature. They wanted to do it "right" as opposed to "right now". I think they've managed to do that.

Thompson
  • Reply 62 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple has never been about checking off the features. The iPod lacks features that other MP3 players have had since the beginning and it's wildly popular. If all you want to do is reference a list of features and check them off, by all means buy an Android. Or Windows Mobile-- that has many of these features as well.

Yeah? Which features is the iPod missing? I've always used my PDA or phone as an MP3 player, so I never looked into the standalone ones.

And I'm not sure what the comment is all about WRT "reference a list of features and check them off".
  • Reply 63 of 219
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Apple has never been about checking off the features. The iPod lacks features that other MP3 players have had since the beginning and it's wildly popular. If all you want to do is reference a list of features and check them off, by all means buy an Android. Or Windows Mobile-- that has many of these features as well.

So true!

Its funny how people are so blind to the subtleties of Apple.

Essentially these are the same people who saw no difference between the Mac OS and Windows when it was first introduced. Just not the same thing.

In the case of this update it may be a bit *more* subtle, but again, iPhone OS 4.0 and Android are clearly not the same. Not for users, not for developers, not for the user experience.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

As with copy/paste, Apple didn't just want to race in a "me-too" feature. They wanted to do it "right" as opposed to "right now". I think they've managed to do that.

Thompson

Sure. No argument.

But what struck me was the lack of any surprising, game changing stuff. While today's stuff seemed (for the most part) welcome and well-implemented, none of it was compelling, and none of it made the iPhone stand out to any great degree.
  • Reply 65 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    From a developer over at MR:

Originally Posted by JulienNantes

Guys, as a developer, I just took a look at the API diff and "what's new in iPhone OS 4" docs, and I saw some gems Steve didn't talk about !

For instance, Grand Central Dispatch is now integrated to iPhone OS 4 (!!!!!!!), and UIKit is now "thread safe"... those two tips make me think that the next iPhone will probably be MULTICORE!

Another interesting point in the doc, is the description of the new framework, accelerate :

"The Accelerate framework (Accelerate.framework) contains interfaces for performing math, big-number, and DSP calculations, among others. The advantage of using this framework over writing your own versions of these libraries is that it is optimized for the different hardware configurations present in iPhone OS?based devices. Therefore, you can write your code once and be assured that it runs efficiently on all devices."

I don't know you, but the word "DSP" is flashing red before my eyes!

Now that Apple master their own CPU production, I bet that the next A4 evolution that will ship with the new iPhone will be multicore and will get a DSP or the equivalent to the MMX addon the x86 have!

• Reply 66 of 219
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Sure. No argument.

But what struck me was the lack of any surprising, game changing stuff. While today's stuff seemed (for the most part) welcome and well-implemented, none of it was compelling, and none of it made the iPhone stand out to any great degree.

Actually, for some of us, seeing a well thought out implementation of a common feature that everyone else just slapped on IS compelling and outstanding.
  • Reply 67 of 219
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

[sigh]

Some people live in the real world, while other just seem to visit from time to time, and only when their meds are working properly.

...and some people post completely useless insults with no benefit to anyone. the previous reply to my message had some actual info accompanying it, and was a good argument. perhaps you need to have your meds checked?
  • Reply 68 of 219
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Ya' know...

It's the things that they leave out that make Apple's products so enjoyable (less unnecessary cruft, distraction, confusion, irritation)....

... others (some posters to forums like this) could learn from their example.

• Reply 69 of 219
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Wow, advertising is considered not only a feature, but a major feature. Sure am glad they're not gonna charge me for such a wonderful feature.

No offense but this keynote was NOT targeted at you... It was a developers keynote used to alert APP developers of the new features that will make their debut in the v4.0 release (due for this Summer and/or Fall for iPads).

And YES the AD based services ARE a big deal to developers... A developer who doesn't charge ANYTHING for an AP is working for FREE.... How often do YOU do that?? ..and NO doing what the wife tells you to do does not count! So developers have choices when they release their APPs...

1 - Release a full featured version for free and get nothing for your trouble...

2 - Release a limited version for free and a 'paid' full version (however the limited version might not allow the potential buyer to really appreciate the extra stuff found in the paid version

3 - Release a full featured version for a short period of time and then move to a pay method. This is tricky in that .. yes people who download your app are likely to tell others how they like it but will also tell them they got it for free and the possible customer might feel PO'd about not getting in on the free download.

4 - Finally... release a FREE full featured version that is AD supported (generating money for the developer by the AD instead of a payment from you). Now if ADs don't bother you then GREAT you can continue to use the game/app with all of its features intact and simply put up with the ADs **OR*** if you like the app/game/whatever and HATE ADs then MAN-UP and pay the money the developer is asking for.

This is actually one of the best ways for lots of APPS to do things... since it might be a very minor code change to turn on or off ADS as opposed to limiting APP features manually. So the code base can be 'almost' the same for both the paid as well as the free versions.

The only potentially troubling though is this...

Lets say an APP developer sells a game/whatever for $2.99 and also offers a full featured free version that is supported by ADs. Now fast forward to the end of the year... What happens when the APP developer finds the 'FREE" versions are netting him/her $6.99 or more per year (on average) while the paid versions only bring in $2.99?

First reaction MIGHT be for the developer to remove the pay version and only offer the AD supported version... but that could be a BIG mistake.. Some people could be equally turned OFF by the ADS and never play your game again instead of putting up with ADs. Changing the APPs price (higher) is another possible option but usually higher price = less sales... What about if AD based version brought in less than the paid version? Increase the number of ADs or just leave things alone since 'some money' is better than no money... Lots of stuff to deal with...

The final outcome is a developer has a lot to think about before they choose to implement AD based (full featured) versions of their titles and A LOT MORE to think about before 'pulling' paid versions all but FORCING new customers to watch ADs or not play.

Lots of developer discussions already exist on this topic... that I'm sure of...
  • Reply 70 of 219
    gto65lgto65l Posts: 42member
    Quote:

They did, it was called iPhone OS 1. Why do people expect Apple to change the industry EVERY time they make an announcement?
  • Reply 71 of 219
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

From a developer over at MR:

Originally Posted by JulienNantes

Guys, as a developer, I just took a look at the API diff and "what's new in iPhone OS 4" docs, and I saw some gems Steve didn't talk about !

Yeah, there's a whole lotta' stuff that didn't make the preso... can't wait for my download to finish so I can start experimenting...

• Reply 72 of 219
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

...and some people post completely useless ..... etc etc etc etc

DaveGee -- a few posts above -- has spelled out a number of reasons iAd is good for devs and end users. (Short version: choice.)
  • Reply 72 of 219
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:

Sure. No argument.

Maybe the hardware of the new iPhone will make it stand out. Time will tell.
  • Reply 74 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    so as much as i would love multi-tasking, we don't get it on old platforms.

my biggest wishlist if this update on the 3G would be:

1. iBooks App

2. Improved mail features with central inbox

3. App folders

The rest i'll have to read/see more about...
  • Reply 75 of 219
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Sure. No argument.

"Game changing" is a tech blog term for the easily bored ADD gearhead set. Apple is patiently and thoroughly developing a platform. They don't rush out APIs because if they get them wrong and have to fix them later they break things.

Android, OTOH, seems hell bent on spinning out whatever crosses the mind of the bright children at Google as fast as they can, because that's their idea of "innovation." Whatever ease of use or elegance of UI they might have managed to lift from the iPhone is quickly getting swamped by the feverish pace of iteration, hardware and custom UI.

Here's the thing, though: as much as some folks want the iPhone/Android story to be a repeat of the Mac/PC trajectory (and they certainly are using exactly the same arguments, caveats and rationalizations) there's a huge difference. There isn't a commodity cheap place for Android phones to go.

As long as the vast majority of cell phone cost is tied up in the service plan, TCO of the iPhone and any Android handset is going to be roughly the same. Even for the impulse "this one's cheaper" shopper, there is almost certainly going to be an iPhone 3Gs for $99 available this summer, which can run the latest OS.

So it's going to come down to ease of use and ecosystem. Yes, Android has been growing rapidly, but Apple's in it for the long haul. If people buy Android handsets because it's the "new thing" and discover that they're actually more difficult to use (and despite what we've been repeatedly told by Android fan boys, for the average user that's just a fact) they may start shopping around next time their contract is up.

If the Android effort gets increasingly muddled while the iPhone effort gets increasingly focused, that's going to have an effect on sales. Android can't hide behind commodity hardware like the PC industry did, and "good enough" isn't if you can have better for the same money.
  • Reply 76 of 219
    Is there a way to watch the keynote online anywhere?
  • Reply 77 of 219
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Game changing" is a tech blog term for the easily bored ADD gearhead set. Apple is patiently and thoroughly developing a platform. They don't rush out APIs because if they get them wrong and have to fix them later they break things.

Android, OTOH, seems hell bent on spinning out whatever crosses the mind of the bright children at Google as fast as they can, because that's their idea of "innovation." Whatever ease of use or elegance of UI they might have managed to lift from the iPhone is quickly getting swamped by the feverish pace of iteration, hardware and custom UI.

Here's the thing, though: as much as some folks want the iPhone/Android story to be a repeat of the Mac/PC trajectory (and they certainly are using exactly the same arguments, caveats and rationalizations) there's a huge difference. There isn't a commodity cheap place for Android phones to go.

As long as the vast majority of cell phone cost is tied up in the service plan, TCO of the iPhone and any Android handset is going to be roughly the same. Even for the impulse "this one's cheaper" shopper, there is almost certainly going to be an iPhone 3Gs for $99 available this summer, which can run the latest OS.

So it's going to come down to ease of use and ecosystem. Yes, Android has been growing rapidly, but Apple's in it for the long haul. If people buy Android handsets because it's the "new thing" and discover that they're actually more difficult to use (and despite what we've been repeatedly told by Android fan boys, for the average user that's just a fact) they may start shopping around next time their contract is up.

If the Android effort gets increasingly muddled while the iPhone effort gets increasingly focused, that's going to have an effect on sales. Android can't hide behind commodity hardware like the PC industry did, and "good enough" isn't if you can have better for the same money.

This should be a sticky.
  • Reply 78 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idanceapps View Post

I'm psyched that Multitasking is coming. iPhone looking better. But now that iPad (4.0 available on the Fall) is out, even more people will rush to get them. All that it would be missing will be a front facing camera for chatting and hopefully the ability to make skype video calls

unless you have rock-steady kung-fu grip action, i wouldn't want to be on a video chat with anyone on an iPad or iPhone. Talk about Blair Witch effect!!! Sure they could put some kind of steady software on there as well, i supposed...
  • Reply 79 of 219
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Masterz1337 View Post

Is there a way to watch the keynote online anywhere?

Tuesday for sure.

This was clearly targeted to developers. Game changing? yes, in a subtle way. Impressive to a regular joe? no. This is an OS, the features will be progressive and in most cases mundane additions or refactoring / rethinking of existing features. It makes it a solid operating system that is well thought out and usable. The less I have to 'do' to make it work the more productive I am in the long run.
  • Reply 80 of 219
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    I created a few screenshots of iPhone OS 4.0 changes I have found so far. Sorry, screenshots are in German but explained in English.

http://gallery.me.com/riedrich/100109