Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

Comments

• Reply 101 of 219
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

This should be a sticky.

For sure, really eloquent and well rounded post.

I am very happy with the updates, well targeted, robust and they seem well implemented too. I especially like the thought and complexity that has gone into multi tasking.

I (unlike some) am not overcompensating on tec tools, I just want to get my job done, and my life just a bit simpler.

Apple has made some very steady progress with the iphone OS and now the idevices have the best platform out there to stand on and showcase their excellence, in terms of capabilities, ease of use and software and hardware integration.

I especially like the security and encryption frameworks, would be nice if AI gives us the low down of these soon.

One thing that went I amiss, btw, and was on a lot of people's list for a long time is bluetooth keyboard support.
  • Reply 102 of 219
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The multi-tasking stuff was a big let down. No 3G support is just bizarre, as an iPhone 3G can multi-task when jail broken, and no support for IM clients or twitter clients either. Just odd, and reeks of a bungled, half baked solution.

I think the multitasking is an excellent implementation! Apps are suspended when put in the background and only certain functions like audio playback, GPS etc. continue to run in the background. So only the portion that really needs to run does actually run.

Quote:

The big focus on ads was downright bizarre as well. That's really just what we all want, an ad every 30 seconds. Thanks Steve, thanks a lot.

You have ads in some free apps already. Actually, I think some of those ads can actually put some extra value to the user.
  • Reply 103 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Game changing" is a tech blog term for the easily bored ADD gearhead set. Apple is patiently and thoroughly developing a platform. They don't rush out APIs because if they get them wrong and have to fix them later they break things.

Android, OTOH, seems hell bent on spinning out whatever crosses the mind of the bright children at Google as fast as they can, because that's their idea of "innovation." Whatever ease of use or elegance of UI they might have managed to lift from the iPhone is quickly getting swamped by the feverish pace of iteration, hardware and custom UI.

Here's the thing, though: as much as some folks want the iPhone/Android story to be a repeat of the Mac/PC trajectory (and they certainly are using exactly the same arguments, caveats and rationalizations) there's a huge difference. There isn't a commodity cheap place for Android phones to go.

As long as the vast majority of cell phone cost is tied up in the service plan, TCO of the iPhone and any Android handset is going to be roughly the same. Even for the impulse "this one's cheaper" shopper, there is almost certainly going to be an iPhone 3Gs for $99 available this summer, which can run the latest OS.

So it's going to come down to ease of use and ecosystem. Yes, Android has been growing rapidly, but Apple's in it for the long haul. If people buy Android handsets because it's the "new thing" and discover that they're actually more difficult to use (and despite what we've been repeatedly told by Android fan boys, for the average user that's just a fact) they may start shopping around next time their contract is up.

If the Android effort gets increasingly muddled while the iPhone effort gets increasingly focused, that's going to have an effect on sales. Android can't hide behind commodity hardware like the PC industry did, and "good enough" isn't if you can have better for the same money.

Yes, Apple's "innovation" now consists of stealing many of Android's current features. You can bet your butt that many of the features unveiled today were directly influenced by Android. That's not a bad thing though; competition is great and makes everyone work harder. I can't wait to see the next OS improvements for both companies.

Also, if Android is more difficult to use, so be it. Apple caters to the lowest common denominator so anyone can use it, while also preventing them freedom or from doing advanced tasks. Android might be more difficult to learn, but in the end will give users much more capabilities. Both are viable strategies.
  • Reply 104 of 219
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

I created a few screenshots of iPhone OS 4.0 changes I have found so far. Sorry, screenshots are in German but explained in English.

http://gallery.me.com/riedrich/100109

Thanks for your screenshots!

I see that we can now turn off cell data!

http://gallery.me.com/riedrich#10010...&bgcolor=black

Awesome news!
  • Reply 105 of 219
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Good to see Xbox Live-style gaming support.
  • Reply 106 of 219
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I'm jealous of the email >:/
  • Reply 107 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Thanks for your screenshots!

I see that we can now turn off cell data!

http://gallery.me.com/riedrich#10010...&bgcolor=black

Awesome news!

Good news, but I d have preferred the even better news of turning the cellular component off altogether, I don't see why I need to have the extra few sars of radiation if I don't want to receive any calls. I am talking about airplane mode with the wifi enabled. It's marginal request, but it could come out handy to some users.
  • Reply 108 of 219
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Gizmodo has probably done the best job of summarizing the new features to now. They obviously haven't had time to get right into the new SDK and even so, it is going to take a while to peruse the 1500 new APIs and really appreciate what we have to work with and what we can do with it.
    Quote:

The curtain has been pulled back on iPhone 4, and the list of new features is massive: There's multitasking (finally!), a refreshed interface, and literally hundreds of other changes, all coming this summer.

http://gizmodo.com/5512635/iphone-os...yline=true&s=i

Can't wait for the next WWDC. It will be another sell out.
  • Reply 109 of 219
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Good news, but I d have preferred the even better news of turning the cellular component off altogether, I don't see why I need to have the extra few sars of radiation if I don't want to receive any calls. I am talking about airplane mode with the wifi enabled. It's marginal request, but it could come out handy to some users.

that's exactly what airplane mode is.

You just need to manually turn on wifi.
  • Reply 110 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

that's exactly what airplane mode is.

You just need to manually turn on wifi.

Oh, thanks for that tip. Although to be exact, if I am not mistaken, airplane mode does turn off wifi too by default. I wasn't aware that you could turn it back on though while still being in airplane mode.
  • Reply 111 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

First, you would probably put the iPhone or iPad in a dock or case in an upright position.

Second, with a powerful enough, integrated, CPU, GPU and DSP you could do some image stabilization.

Third...will apple do this...don't count on it!
  • Reply 112 of 219
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

It looks as if 4.0 won't be available for 1st gen iPhone/iPod Touch at all. At least there are no download links for these two devices in the Dev Center...

you guys obviously didn't read the full article:

"A developer preview of iPhone 4 is available now, the release will ship sometime this summer. All of the features will be available to last year's iPhone 3GS and the 3G iPod touch.

The 2008 iPhone 3G and 2G iPod touch will get "many things," but will not support multitasking, as their hardware is significantly slower and has less installed RAM."
  • Reply 113 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Actually, for some of us, seeing a well thought out implementation of a common feature that everyone else just slapped on IS compelling and outstanding.

How do you feel about features that some others are doing extremely well?
  • Reply 114 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

How do you feel about features that some others are doing extremely well?

Could you name 10?
  • Reply 115 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ya' know...

It's the things that they leave out that make Apple's products so enjoyable (less unnecessary cruft, distraction, confusion, irritation)....

... others (some posters to forums like this) could learn from their example.

Like free turn-by-turn navigation? Google voice?

Yes. The simplified interface is nice. But the lack of basic capability is not.
  • Reply 116 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

They did, it was called iPhone OS 1. Why do people expect Apple to change the industry EVERY time they make an announcement?

I didn't expect Apple to change the industry with a software update.

However, I DID expect them to see at least one big deal point that would make the iPhone OS stand out as better than Android.
  • Reply 117 of 219
    Quote:

Like free turn-by-turn navigation? Google voice?

Yes. The simplified interface is nice. But the lack of basic capability is not.

Yeah turn by turn and google voice are all so basic and so required...
  • Reply 118 of 219
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

No, look at the JB app, LockInfo. Awesome app. One of the large reasons I stayed with my iPhone.

lockinfo is also buggy and unreliable.
  • Reply 119 of 219
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I didn't expect Apple to change the industry with a software update.

However, I DID expect them to see at least one big deal point that would make the iPhone OS stand out as better than Android.

Your posts are just a travesty. Its been quite an annoying few weeks.
  • Reply 120 of 219
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sacrilegend View Post

No new hardware? Discouraging...

Other than a completely new device last week, and a revamp of their laptop line next week, no. Disappointing, to say the least.