Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

Comments

• Reply 121 of 219
    bkerkaybkerkay Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Your posts are just a travesty. Its been quite an annoying few weeks.

It just seems like weeks... he's only been on for about one. Even if his post count says other-wise.
  • Reply 122 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Could you name 10?

No hardware support for the 3G? Sounds suspiciously like the old "No MMS for the older model" bull they rolled out last upgrade. What a farce, yey they will all call it great.

This is miles behind Android, and Google haven't even updated yet, plus they now have a list of things to top, which wont be hard. UNless they want to stick in more adverts, everyone likes that.
  • Reply 123 of 219
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gin_tonic View Post

By the way, radio still not available

What is 'radio'?
  • Reply 124 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Nope. But the presentation was not a complete list of every new thing.

Lots of stuff was not mentioned, but Voice Recognition and built-in turn-by-turn navigation come to mind as some of the most glaring omissions. Baked-in search functionality is missing too.

The interface improvements are welcome. The folders thing is long overdue.

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same, with no ability to make them look like, for example, a "Games" folder or a "Documents" folder. Needing to read the caption below the icon in order to distinguish them from one another easily pretty much makes the icon superfluous. I don't get it.

Pretty meh offerings overall. Surprising, given the competitive climate in the cellphone OS space these days.

Yeah. Apple is (incorrigibly) doomed.?
  • Reply 125 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

not a "game changer"? iAd is not something very new and different in the portable universe? not a vanguard for HTML5 and another nail in Flash's coffin? iBooks spreading synched readers across the entire Apple portable product line is not new and different (who else does)?

and while the Game Center is certainly not a new and different concept for the industry, Apple's portable device implementation may take it one step beyond anything now. but even more significant, it marks Apple's first serious effort to establish an Apple-branded presence in the social web, with new head-to-head competition with Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, and a major expansion of Apple ambitions as a game platform ...

plus a hundred other things ... but, hey, no big deal, right?

You raise good points.

Maybe I am unimpressed because those things don't really matter to me.

I am unexcited by viewing advertising in apps, instead of on associated webpages. I dislike both, unless I am specifically seeking out the info.

I already have several good eReader programs.

And I don't play many games. It could be that the Games thing will work out very well for Apple. I don't know.
  • Reply 126 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

This is miles behind Android, and Google haven't even updated yet, plus they now have a list of things to top, which wont be hard. UNless they want to stick in more adverts, everyone likes that.

They only talked about 7 out of 100. There's more there... we just don't know what it is.
  • Reply 127 of 219
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

Like free turn-by-turn navigation?

actually there are 3rd party free turn by turn apps on the app store.

Also Google map's API specificly prohibits people to develop turn by turn apps with google map. So unless Apple one day switches their map provider, it's pretty inconvenient to build turn by turn into the iPhone map app.

And google voice is compatible with the basically all phones..
  • Reply 128 of 219
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Your posts are just a travesty. Its been quite an annoying few weeks.

I don't know about that guy's previous posts, but what he just said (and you quoted) was pretty much spot on.

OS 4.0 is still behind Android in several key areas, chiefly true multi-tasking, GMail support, voice control through all system apps, and built in turn by turn.

There was also no mention made today of increasing the resolution of the iPhone's screen, which is another area where Android has a huge lead.
  • Reply 129 of 219
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah. Apple is (incorrigibly) doomed.?

Apple is doomed since forever.
  • Reply 130 of 219
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

I didn't expect Apple to change the industry with a software update.

However, I DID expect them to see at least one big deal point that would make the iPhone OS stand out as better than Android.

You don't like Macs. You don't have an iPhone. You dis everything anybody says positive about OS X, the iPhone, the iPad, etc., etc. In fact you basically hate everything about Apple.

You know virtually nothing about anything you criticize.

Why are you here?
  • Reply 131 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post

Wow, advertising is considered not only a feature, but a major feature. Sure am glad they're not gonna charge me for such a wonderful feature.

Ads are going to be there with 'free' things, whether you like it/want or not. For instance, you can't escape them here in AI. You just have to deal with it.

Apple will simply implement it in a more civilized and less annoying way than the others. And make some money in process (which makes me happy as a shareholder).
  • Reply 132 of 219
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Quote:

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same

No, the folder icon actually has up to nine miniature app icons in it of the apps that are in this folder. They are very small, but recognizable. See my screenshot at http://gallery.me.com/riedrich#100109/IMG_0909 and http://gallery.me.com/riedrich#100109/IMG_0910
  • Reply 133 of 219
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scaramanga89 View Post

No hardware support for the 3G? Sounds suspiciously like the old "No MMS for the older model" bull they rolled out last upgrade. What a farce, yey they will all call it great.

The 3g simply won't have multitasking, fair choice for a two year old device which is mobile phones is quite old.

I am still waiting to hear the "miles" that Android has covered ahead of apple or the applications that run "extremely well" on it and are not available to the iphone, in concrete terms, to justify this tired fanfare. Might you be referring to the android ui and the nexus one looking like shit?
  • Reply 134 of 219
    crift2012crift2012 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Nope. But the presentation was not a complete list of every new thing.

Lots of stuff was not mentioned, but Voice Recognition and built-in turn-by-turn navigation come to mind as some of the most glaring omissions. Baked-in search functionality is missing too.

The interface improvements are welcome. The folders thing is long overdue.

But it looked like all the folders icons will be basically the same, with no ability to make them look like, for example, a "Games" folder or a "Documents" folder. Needing to read the caption below the icon in order to distinguish them from one another easily pretty much makes the icon superfluous. I don't get it.

Pretty meh offerings overall. Surprising, given the competitive climate in the cellphone OS space these days.

uh huh android user...and what would you have added? I am pretty curious..and dont list things networks can not handle...such as video chat, which no one would use for one, and be a pointless drain on the cell network for a novelty..
  • Reply 135 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Also Google map's API specificly prohibits people to develop turn by turn apps with google map. So unless Apple one day switches their map provider, it's pretty inconvenient to build turn by turn into the iPhone map app.

I thought the Maps app on the iPhone IS google maps.
  • Reply 136 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I don't know about that guy's previous posts, but what he just said (and you quoted) was pretty much spot on.

OS 4.0 is still behind Android in several key areas, chiefly true multi-tasking, GMail support, voice control through all system apps, and built in turn by turn.

There was also no mention made today of increasing the resolution of the iPhone's screen, which is another area where Android has a huge lead.

Frankly, a vast majority of us here couldn't give a hoot about Android. If you like it so much, stay with it and don't buy an iPhone. And, if you don't buy it, you would have no need to spend time annoying people in an Apple forum.

There.....
  • Reply 137 of 219
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Could you name 10?

Har!

I try not to bite on troll bait, thankyouverymuch.
  • Reply 138 of 219
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

And google voice is compatible with the basically all phones..

And it's pretty useless if you ask me...
  • Reply 139 of 219
    el3ktroel3ktro Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

chiefly true multi-tasking

What is "true multitasking"?

Quote:

GMail support

The iPhone does have GMail support ...

Quote:

voice control through all system apps

Hmm, well would be nice probably.

Quote:

built in turn by turn.

Would be nice too. But hey, it's still a few months until 4.0 ...

Quote:

This was a software event, not a hardware event. If you know Apple, you'd know that they wouldn't tell us anything today that would give us a hint about new hardware features ...
  • Reply 140 of 219
    inoodlesinoodles Posts: 17member
    Quote:

lockinfo is also buggy and unreliable.

Highly disagree, I have had nothing but sheer bliss with it. Not a single problem.

HOWEVER, this is not all users experiences and I know this, however, almost everyone I know who has a JB'ed iPhone (about 13) have LockInfo and zero problems, small sample I know.