Apple's iPhone Software 4.0 suggests next-gen iPhone will have camera flash

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

You're drinking the koolaid if you think they're going to release a 4G version of the phone this iteration.

4G as in 4th generation, not 4G network. The iPhone is on the 4th model.

I guess it would be less confusing to have something like 3GS+ so you know it's on 3G and has speed but also comes with a better camera.

Then the model named 4G can come next year when AT&T and Verizon roll out their LTE networks.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

if not AVCaptureDevice.hasFlash():

window.location = "http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/";

A Flash is a great addition to the iPhone and overdue. 720p H.264 video recording with digital zoom while recording would be nice. Optical zoom isn't going to happen obviously as it means mechanically moving the lens.

Doesn't iPhone 3GS have optical focusing? I thought that requires mechanical action, which was why I was surprised to see focusing on the 3GS feature sheet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

No, digital zoom.

I suppose there's some room for it before going larger than 1:1 on the pixels, though digital zoom often has the connotation of simply multiplying pixels.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Yeah, but MacLife's review of the Droid called the camera "5 megapixels of suck."
  • Reply 24 of 35
    This is terrible news for anyone who goes to movies, restaurants, museums, and other public places.

It's bad enough we have to listen to the inane conversations of thoughtless idiots, now we are going to have to b put up with iFlashes going off everywhere.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    zwebenzweben Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In making the jump to the iPhone 3GS last spring, Apple was content in focusing on enhancements to the overall user experience of its mobile phone to maintain its high level of satisfaction amongst consumers. Improvements to the device's camera technology were limited to an updated image sensor capable of capturing 1.1 more megapixels, and software technology to improve the quality of motion photos and those taken in poor lighting.

You forgot the biggest addition: auto-focus. \
  • Reply 26 of 35
    YAY! Go apple!

They certainly seem to be focused on catching up to Android's features today.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Hopefully, Apple wiil give us FLASH and OPTICAL ZOOM!!!

Even if the phone costs more, It would be worth it
  • Reply 28 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focuspuller View Post

This is terrible news for anyone who goes to movies, restaurants, museums, and other public places.

It's bad enough we have to listen to the inane conversations of thoughtless idiots, now we are going to have to b put up with iFlashes going off everywhere.

Weird. It's like the inverse of the charge that Apple enthusiasts don't think features are useful until Apple does it.

In this case, it's not irritating until Apple does it, I guess because you can put an "i" in front of it?

Camera phone flash, fine, camera phone flash, fine, AHHHHH iFLASH MY EYES!
  • Reply 29 of 35
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Am I the only one that's thinking "let there be light" in a reference to a certain Jesus Phone?
  • Reply 30 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopefully, Apple wiil give us FLASH and OPTICAL ZOOM!!!

Even if the phone costs more, It would be worth it

Optical zoom requires moving, stacked elements that Apple would be hard pressed to fit into the iPhone's case.

Well, unless they went with some esoteric deformable liquid lens deal, but seems pretty unlikely.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Yeah, but MacLife's review of the Droid called the camera "5 megapixels of suck."

Well, megapixelcount says nothing about the quality of the sensor or the lens. There are loads of 10, 12 and 14 megapixel compact camera's out there that produce crap pictures.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    doorman.doorman. Posts: 159member
    I wanted so much to buy MBP with Core i7...
  • Reply 33 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Optical zoom requires moving, stacked elements that Apple would be hard pressed to fit into the iPhone's case.

Well, unless they went with some esoteric deformable liquid lens deal, but seems pretty unlikely.

Or it would end up looking like this:

http://gizmodo.com/5369970/samsung-a...x-optical-zoom

Just to get 3x zoom. Jonathan Ive wouldn't allow it. They'd be better with switchable lenses like on a rotating pivot or something but to be honest, I think in it's 3GS form, it's good enough. As Steve would say:

You want zoom? Move closer, not that big of a deal.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member

Aaargh... my eyes!!!

In the interests of your readers, in cases like this you should implement an "ugly" alert in the same way that one can reference a "spoiler" alert.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Aaargh... my eyes!!!

In the interests of your readers, in cases like this you should implement an "ugly" alert in the same way that one can reference a "spoiler" alert.

Obviously, Apple isn't going to do it, but that's what it takes to have a phone with a half-decent camera.