Apple's iPad can stay in bag for airport security screenings

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

If this were a computer then the flyer would need to take it out and be prepared to turn it on. Because it is not a computer, the flyer doesn't have to.

just wait, someone will try to smuggle in explosives inside a hollowed out ipad and then we'll have to turn it on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oxygenhose View Post

Yes those batteries are a huge problem for TSA, ya know, because it's ALWAYS Americans, business commuters, college kids and families trying to blow up airplanes.

Can you look at a random group of people and tell me just from looks who is an American and how is not. Who is a business commuter or college kid and who is a terrorist merely dressed up that way to slip past security.

the checks are supposed to apply to everyone the same to avoid that kind of trickery. and when they do random checks it's supposed to be random. not merely those that look X, Y or Z. and they are trained not to assume that a crazed terrorist would never bring her own kid on a flight she's going to blow up so there's no way there's explosives in that stroller. She is supposedly crazy right. So logic need not apply

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too.

if the functions you need are covered by the ipad sure.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

just wait, someone will try to smuggle in explosives inside a hollowed out ipad and then we'll have to turn it on.

with your reasoning we'll have to fear the next freak with 4 feet of sausage C4 up his bum. Imagine the security screenings after that!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

with your reasoning we'll have to fear the next freak with 4 feet of sausage C4 up his bum. Imagine the security screenings after that!

that's already a worry. Which is why major airports should have 100% screenings for bomb material traces. Some kind of chemical sniffer at the checkpoint and gate and/or dogs. had they had that in europe the whole Crotch bomb might not have happened
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Well lets see here, recently there was an article that said that the #1 use for the ipad would be for business purposes, and since travel is sometimes a big part of working people's lives, the thought of bringing an ipad instead of a laptop is now even sweeter knowing that you don't have to go through the hassle of pulling out your laptop, then putting it all back in it's bag once you're through the metal detector. You might not care about something like this, but for someone who's trying to decide if they should bring their laptop or their ipad, this new may help influence their decision.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I travel quite a bit myself and if it's the choice between pulling it out and not but getting my ass blown off, I'll stick with pulling it out. My God, this now whiner-central.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

if the functions you need are covered by the ipad sure.

Travel friendly or not has nothing to do with functions.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    betobbetob Posts: 7member
    I was expecting first hand reports of officers asking to remove the ipad's battery....

Do you really feel secure?

What a load of cr---

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that fliers who bring an iPad through security will conveniently be able to leave their device in its carry-on bag, unlike with a traditional laptop.

According to The Associated Press, the government agency said that most who travel will not need to remove the iPad from their bag, because the device is relatively small and doesn't have "bulky" accessories such as external drives. Those accessories can make it difficult for X-ray scanners, who see a cluttered image when a laptop and all of its accessories go through the machine in a bag.

However, the TSA cautioned that fliers may still be asked to remove their iPad if the scanners cannot get a clear image of the device.

Spokesman Greg Soule told the AP that the TSA is in the process of telling its employees how to handle the iPad for screening procedures. With 300,000 sold on the first day alone, and a 10-hour battery life perfect for watching movies or playing games on the go, it's a device they'll likely run into on a somewhat regular basis.

The convenience could be important to business-minded users who travel a lot and need to do light computing on the go. A March survey found that the No. 1 planned use for the iPad from prospective customers was working on the go.

Tuesday's report noted that although laptops, such as Apple's MacBooks, generally have to be removed from bags, some laptop sleeves that lie flat in an airport X-ray machine are considered acceptable. Such "checkpoint friendly" bags can be purchased online, though the TSA does not approve of specific bags.

"But it has encouraged manufacturers to design bags that will allow screeners to obtain clear images and give travelers the best shot of being able to keep computers in their bags," the report said.

At just 0.5 inches thick, 1.5 pounds in weight and with no physical keyboard, the iPad has been pitched by Apple has being thinner and lighter than any laptop or netbook. The Wi-Fi-only version of the device is now available with a starting price of $499. The 3G-capable model, which will allow travelers Internet access on the go through AT&T's wireless network in the U.S., is due to arrive later this month.

• Reply 27 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Another pro for the iPad. It's now deemed more travel friendly than laptops, and therefore netbooks too. Jobs seems to be right, "Netbooks aren't better than anything." They're not better at traveling either even though the netbook screens are smaller than an iPad.

Oh wait that's not necessarily better either.

Actually, all netbooks and e-readers can stay in your bag, too.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThankYou View Post

Actually, all netbooks and e-readers can stay in your bag, too.

Yes, I read that elsewhere.

http://technologizer.com/2010/04/07/...ent-notebooks/

After I posted that entry.

Pretty much a double standard in my opinion. Netbooks are foldable computers as are laptops. TSA is a moronic, myopic organization.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Who even flies domestically nowadays? Seems like any more it's faster to just get a 44-ounce Mountain Dew, jump in the Honda, crank some tunes up, and head for the hills....