Apple removes Google branding from iPhone OS 4 search

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The "Google" button that appears on the soft keyboards of existing iPhones when conducting a Web search has been changed to simply read "Search" in the beta of iPhone OS 4, removing a reference to Apple's rival.

The change was already made in iPhone OS 3.2 for the iPad, but the iPhone OS 4 beta for the iPhone shows that the subtle tweak, as discovered by iLounge, will likely make its way to Apple's handset when the software upgrade is released this summer. In the current iPhone OS 3.1.3, using Safari's search function offers a blue "Google" button in the bottom right corner of the touchscreen keyboard.

This week it was also revealed that Apple added Web search to the Spotlight search feature in iPhone OS 4. That option also does not mention Google, only saying "Search Web."

The small change to iPhone search could serve as more evidence to support claims from earlier this year that Apple and Microsoft have been in talks to make Bing the default search engine for the iPhone. Currently, searches conducted through the Safari Web browser go through Google by default, though Yahoo can also be selected.

In March, The New York Times profiled the increasing rivalry -- one that has reportedly become personal -- between Google and Apple. The newspaper said that Apple co-founder Steve Jobs feels that Google "violated the alliance" it had with Apple when it released phones based on the Android mobile operating system.

It was the introduction of Android, the Chrome browser, and Google's plans to release its own netbook operating system that forced Schmidt off of Apple's board of directors last August. Soon after that the two began competing for acquisitions.

This week, Jobs admitted that Apple tried to buy mobile advertising firm AdMob, but said that Google "snatched" the company away. Apple instead bought Quattro Wireless

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...
  • Reply 2 of 58
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

The reason is very simple, as there is no conspiracy at all: how can you have Google on it when you can use more than one search engine like Yahoo? Move along, citizens...

Nice to see Apple giving everyone a choice of search engines. Choice is good.

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    "violated the alliance" ha, he cracks me up sometimes.

Feed them to the lions.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Get your facts .

You can already with 3.1.2 (and as far as i remember even from 1.0.0) select your search provider, and if you've set "Yahoo!" as search provider, the button said "yahoo!"
  • Reply 5 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It should be labeled "Search" anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's not really that way though, and it only took half a minute to prove this. When you select Yahoo! as your preferred search, the search box in question says Yahoo!. Switch it back and the box says Google again.

edit: fabiopigi beat me to this.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...=&oq=&gs_rfai=
  • Reply 8 of 58
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

Out of curiosity, I went to Google, entered the word "Apple." and the result that I got said, "Your search - Apple - did not match any documents."

On what OS / device? A search for Apple shows up just fine on my OS 3.x iPhone 3G, your search just shows a series of five asterisks.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

It should be labeled "Search" anyway.

Exactly. This is trivial.

What iLounge did NOT show is the screen BEFORE that. What text appears in the search box itself? I bet it still says Google (or Yahoo), all the time, on top of every single Safari page view. And then once they hit Search, the page that comes up is still Google’s own page, that still says Google in rainbow letters! Plenty of Google branding.

So in OS4, once people tap the ever-present Google object at the top of Safari, on the way to be fed a whole Google page, they are no longer shown this particular third instance of Google branding in the middle of the process?

This is a big deal?

(Worth hits for iLounge, though. Any Apple conspiracy hints are good ad bait.)

Now, maybe we’ll see more screenshots and know that they changed the main field to say Search too. Even that’s not a big deal—it’s a good, consistent choice for labeling an onscreen function. And it lets documentation and support staff say “tap Search” instead of “tap Google or Yahoo or Bing or Wikipedia according to your Settings."

Even in that case, Google is still what comes up AFTER you click Search, and it’s still plastered on the Maps credits too. And now, with OS4, you can Google right from the Spotlight bar! People will be seeing more Google pages than ever wit OS4. There may be a feud between parts of Apple and parts of Google, but little change tells us nothing.

And no matter what, AI’s headline is misleading. Search results will still be Google-branded in OS 4 (if the user chooses Google, as most will). One particular BUTTON does not mean all branding is gone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On what OS / device? A search for Apple shows up just fine on my OS 3.x iPhone 3G, your search just shows a series of five asterisks.

He’s pranking you.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    tomozjtomozj Posts: 54member
    Quote:

Hahaha, nice!

Is this really front page news?!
  • Reply 11 of 58
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    It seems rather to be a fix from Apple so everyone actually knows what the heck that button means than "heating up the war with Google" if you ask me.

Quote:

It works here.
  • Reply 12 of 58
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] as discovered by iLounge [...]

to paraphrase clancy wiggum, that's some nice work boys.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabiopigi View Post

Get your facts .

You can already with 3.1.2 (and as far as i remember even from 1.0.0) select your search provider, and if you've set "Yahoo!" as search provider, the button said "yahoo!"

I am aware of my facts sir. I never said earlier OS's didn't offer a choice. They always did which is, as I said, a good thing. I would like to see more of that from apple in the future. Wouldn't you?
  • Reply 14 of 58
    Quote:

I am honestly surprised Apple hasn't launched their own search engine yet.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

He?s pranking you.

Shhhhh.

It's Google's way to get even with Apple for taking the Google name from the search window.

I like the way that people were checking Google to see if what I said was true.

Something else that I recently found out is that the word"gullible" is a made up word that has simply been learned through word of mouth, and it doesn't even exist in any dictionary.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Apple is starting to flex.

Alienating MS, Google, Adobe, AT&T, MPAA, countless other developers...

Are they strong enough to be an island?

This is what happened to Apple in the late 80's/early 90's with desktop computing and allowed MS to clobber them - reducing their Market share to 1%.

This time, however, there is no printing/design/creative industry to support them through tough times. They made sure to piss them all off. (glossy displays anyone? )

The consumer market changes fast. Overnight sometimes. It would be wise for Apple to tread carefully with their quixotic approach of late, and play a little nicer... lest history repeat itself.

... or are they strong enough to be an island?
  • Reply 17 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Now if they would only let me choose my phone provider.

Once you have some phone providers using international standard cell-phone technologies then Apple will let you have you provider choice. CDMA sux.

Don't worry, LTE is coming and you'll have several carriers to choose from.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Now, maybe we?ll see more screenshots and know that they changed the main field to say Search too.

No.

(Taken from Apple Special Event, Get a Sneak Peek of iPhone OS 4.0, April 2010)
  • Reply 19 of 58
    avidfcpavidfcp Posts: 381member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabiopigi View Post

Get your facts .

So it won't ship with google defaulted? I like Google. Used to be Yahoo but the kept changing their home page to often. Maybe that's why.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) It still states the search engine name in the search engine text field so any conspiracy that is Apple taking a stand against Google is a nonstarter.

2) I would love to have the Search feature allow me to choose between an internet search engine and searching for text on the page. Pretty much working just like on Safari on a Mac. IMo, there is enough space above search bar to add these buttons without taking up additional page space for the actual search results.