IPad Camera Kit. HD video?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Has anyone here used, or have the camera kit for the iPad yet?

Apple says it transfers photos and video from your digital camera either thru an SD card reader or a USB connection cable.

I was wondering about the video tho. Can it transfer HD video shot on the Kodak zi8, flip or a canon dslr via the SD card. (or in the case of the flip via the usb attachment) ?

Or are you limited to non HD video transfers?

Is there a size or format limit?

Thanks.

-Regan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wilwil Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Has anyone here used, or have the camera kit for the iPad yet?

Apple says it transfers photos and video from your digital camera either thru an SD card reader or a USB connection cable.

I was wondering about the video tho. Can it transfer HD video shot on the Kodak zi8, flip or a canon dslr via the SD card. (or in the case of the flip via the usb attachment) ?

Or are you limited to non HD video transfers?

Is there a size or format limit?

Thanks.

-Regan

It's not yet available until late this month. Sorry
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    I don't know the answer to the original question but I have tried to cheat the lack of availability of the camera connection kit by joining my camera cable to the iPad cable with a male to male USB adapter. The bottom line is, it doesn't work. Either the camera doesn't see the iPad or vice-versa. I'm guessing that when the kit ships, we will see added software.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I'm guessing that when the kit ships, we will see added software.

Maybe only version 4 will support it.

Video support seems to be H.264 and MJPEG but not AVCHD, which some digital cameras use for video. 720p maximum and 30fps so digital cameras that can do 1080p or higher frame rates for slo-mo won't be supported currently.

Once people start using them with cameras, they'll probably update support to make sure a suitable audience is covered, though I think AVCHD might be too taxing to playback on a mobile device.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Maybe only version 4 will support it.

Video support seems to be H.264 and MJPEG but not AVCHD, which some digital cameras use for video. 720p maximum and 30fps so digital cameras that can do 1080p or higher frame rates for slo-mo won't be supported currently.

Once people start using them with cameras, they'll probably update support to make sure a suitable audience is covered, though I think AVCHD might be too taxing to playback on a mobile device.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was referring to my digital still camera. The connection kit is supposed to available this month, so it can't be a 4.0 support issue. I am guessing that the Photo app will be updated to permit it to detect a connected device, which apparently it cannot do now.

Has anyone else tried this? Any success?