iPad and older iMac G5. Do I need a computer?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hey all. I have the last version of the G5 imac before Apple switched to intel. It currently runs OSX 10.4.11

I was planning on getting a new imac in the future, so thats why I stopped updating the Operating system.

However, I plan to travel soon...and wanted to nab the iPad for the trip. Problem is, it says you need to have OSX 10.5.8 or greater on your computer for it to sync with the ipad.

My question is this. Can I avoid spending money on the OSX upgrade and just buy the iPad now for my trip. And then worry about getting a new mac later?

Someone said I need to have a computer tho to "register" my iPad before I can use it. Is this true? Or can I get around doing that for now, since I don't want to spend the money to upgrade my imac before I go on my trip?

I don't need to load up my ipad with any songs or anything. I just want to use it to surf the web and update my blog while traveling.

Thanks for any help with this question.

-Reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mtmbpmtmbp Posts: 12member
    Hi there,

Unfortunately, the iPad requires you to connect it to you computer and iTunes before it will let you use it. Until it is connected it just shows a picture telling you to connect it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Someone just emailed me that you can get the ipad activated at the apple store if you want....which may solve my dilemma. At least for now.

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yes, you can have an Apple Store activate it for you ... but you'll not be able to upload any content to it from your home computer until you update your OS. (You can still download content directly onto the iPad from the App Store, or iTunes Store.)

That G5 is still a pretty nice computer though!... I'd get a copy of Leopard for it if I were you... 2GB of RAM and it'll run Leopard OS just fine!
  • Reply 4 of 12

I am running into this same issue with my Mom. 

I have a PC and I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL connecting to Itunes.

Unfortunately for my Mom, she has an Imac G5. I persuaded her to purchase an Ipad 2, as a means to embrace the new technology, and this is the headache she gets for listening to her son.  

Apple is amazingly messed up if they honestly cannot allow Imac G5 owners the ability to purchase an Ipad 2 and sync with Itunes. This is totally LUDICROUS!

To note: I recommended to my Mom to purchase the Leopard upgrade to enable the Itunes upgrade to enable her Ipad 2 to sync.  So she purchased the Leopard.  The Leopard will NOT load because it requires a computer with Intel on it.  

So now we are sitting with an Ipad 2 that won't work, and a piece of software that will never be used.  

On the other side of the coin, every non-Apple computer owner in the world has access to purchase the Ipad 2 and sync with Itunes through their PCs.

But virtually EVERY Apple iMac G5 or older owners are totally OUT OF LUCK.  

THIS mentality is why I own a PC, and most likely I will be moving to Android products as soon as I can do so feasibly.  

• Reply 5 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWMessenger View Post

Apple is amazingly messed up if they honestly cannot allow Imac G5 owners the ability to purchase an Ipad 2 and sync with Itunes. This is totally LUDICROUS!

Your computer is seven years old at minimum. You need to calm down.

Quote:

The Leopard will NOT load because it requires a computer with Intel on it.

Blatant lies, first of all. Leopard works fine on your machine. Snow Leopard does not. iTunes 10.2, required for the iPad 2, works on Leopard. Buy Leopard.

Quote:

So now we are sitting with an Ipad 2 that won't work, and a piece of software that will never be used.  

Because you did ZERO research and bought the wrong thing. This is YOUR fault.

Quote:

On the other side of the coin, every non-Apple computer owner in the world has access to purchase the Ipad 2 and sync with Itunes through their PCs.

Obviously they don't, but I'll indulge this fantasy.

Quote:

THIS mentality is why I own a PC, and most likely I will be moving to Android products as soon as I can do so feasibly.  

So why are you wasting your time telling us? You screwed up, you're whining about it, and then you come here thinking you're all high and mighty waving around "threats" of going to Android.

GO. We couldn't care less. I'm sick of people not doing their fair share and then coming here and complaining that it's Apple's fault and demanding we fix it for them. Enjoy Android. And I say that with as much humor intended as possible. Your mother's not going to, that's for sure.

And don't necro threads like this.

• Reply 6 of 12

Hi All,

I'm having a similar problem to this actually.

I just bought a new iPad (iPad 3, I guess). When I connect it to my old iMac and open iTunes, nothing happens. I'm guessing it's because my iTunes is outdated. It's version 9.2.1 and when I try to update it, it says I already have the current version.

From "About This Mac" on my old iMac (bought in 2007), it is Mac OS X Ver 10.4.11

Processor 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 667 MGz DDR2 SDRAM

I'm guessing I need a more updated OS to be able to install the more recent version of iTunes, correct?

When I called Apple Support, the guy told me that I need at least Mac OS X 10.6 in order to install the more updated version of iTunes. He said I cannot install OS 10.6 if I only have OS 10.4 though. He said the only way to install OS 10.6 is to have OS 10.5. He then said that since Apple no longer sells OS 10.5 online, I would have to go out to an Apple authorized dealer to purchase a physical copy of OS 10.5. He then gave me a list of Apple Authorized dealers close to me. I called them, and they told me they don't sell any Apple OS.

Can someone please verify that this is correct? That my iPad is not talking to my old iMac because the iTunes on my iMac is outdated? And that I need Mac OS X 10.6 in order to get the more updated iTunes? And that I cannot install OS X 10.6 unless I have OS X 10.5 first, since I only have OS X 10.4? If this is correct, where can I find a copy of OS X 10.5?

Thanks!

• Reply 7 of 12

First, welcome. And you've actually given us EVERYTHING we need to answer your question! And you're correct; it's your OS and iTunes being too old to see the iPad that is preventing syncing. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimble Mongoose View Post

I just bought a new iPad (iPad 3, I guess). I'm guessing it's because my iTunes is outdated. It's version 9.2.1…

…iMac (bought in 2007), it is Mac OS X Ver 10.4.11

You can use iTunes 10.6 (needed for your iPad) with Mac OS X 10.5, as well as 10.6. I'm not sure why you'd be told otherwise… I recommend 10.6, however, as Snow Leopard is pretty dang awesome (it's going to be quite fast, even on your old machine). 

And you can install Snow Leopard without Leopard, despite what Apple says. Just back up your files first!

So all you have to do is find Snow Leopard on Amazon or somesuch and install it. As you already have the maximum RAM your computer can take, there's nothing we can do there, otherwise I'd recommend also grabbing more RAM (because it's really cheap right now, and you'd benefit from it, but alas).

• Reply 8 of 12
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nimble Mongoose View Post

Can someone please verify that this is correct? That my iPad is not talking to my old iMac because the iTunes on my iMac is outdated? And that I need Mac OS X 10.6 in order to get the more updated iTunes? And that I cannot install OS X 10.6 unless I have OS X 10.5 first, since I only have OS X 10.4? If this is correct, where can I find a copy of OS X 10.5?

That is correct. you have to have iTunes 10.6 to talk to any device that is using iOS 5. The support guy was a little off because Mac OS 10.5.8 will in fact load iTunes 10.6 but good luck finding a copy. A third party Apple shop might have one collecting dust to sell you but probably not. 

That said, if you are planning to use iCloud and you want to keep your computer in the loop you need Lion, which you can get if you have Snow Leopard from the Mac App Store or there's a thumb drive that would take you from Leopard to Lion. If you don't care about having your computer in the loop or loading anything on your computer to the iPad you really don't need anything but the iPad. it will connect to iCloud, it will back up to iCloud, it will load its own software updates. just don't get too crazy with the photos or the videos cause you won't be able to offload them to the computer and eventually you'll run out of your free space and buying more could get pricey

• Reply 9 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

a g5 won't load Lion and you need that for iCloud.

Well, you can manually input the iCloud addresses for mail and… Hey, he has a Core 2. Not that I'd recommend Lion on his specifically, as it's one of the first, but still. Anyway, you can manually input the iCloud server in Mail on your Mac and get almost the same experience, but you won't have any of the other syncing or seamlessness unless you get Lion.

• Reply 10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan View Post

Someone said I need to have a computer tho to "register" my iPad before I can use it.

As I said to Nimble, no you don't have to have a computer. All activation is right off the iPad. You just won't be able to sync anything off your computer, back it up with your computer, offload photos and video. 

• Reply 11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTMBP View Post

Hi there,

Unfortunately, the iPad requires you to connect it to you computer and iTunes before it will let you use it. Until it is connected it just shows a picture telling you to connect it.

Unfortunately that information is about 8 months out of date and at this point completely wrong. iOS 5 has never required you to connect to a computer to activate any device before use. 

• Reply 12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWMessenger View Post

yeah shame on them that they don't support a 6 year old computer that contains dead processor tech.

Shame on her for having a son that didn't do his homework about compatibility before telling her to buy an iPad or the software.