Apple adds seven major features, 100 minor features in iPhone 4.0

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 219
    My biggest disappointment so far with 4.0 is the lack of landscape mode in the home screen. That tells you how disappointed I am
  • Reply 202 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One thing I'm not understanding is the double-tap of the Home Button. Jobs clearly stated that it shows you all apps that are running (just watched that segment again to verify) yet every app I open ends up in the icon scroll list.

This included 3rd-party apps that have not updated for v4.0 multitasking and that clearly have to start back up again when you click them.

Right now it seems to just be fast app switching, only showing your most recently opened apps.

How is it running for you? So far I've had no issues that make me reject the install or attempt to go back to v3.x.

PS: I haven't seen anyone mention that devs can give access to SMS without leaving the app. While this is nice, I think it's important that this is available as a global function.

It is running fine.

The home button works (for me) as follows:

-- fast double-tap: reveals multitasked apps

-- slow double-tap: goes to search screen

-- single-tap: exits (suspends) app and returns to current icon page.

I haven't figured out how to quit an app.

I wrote an app that has several tabs with text entry, drill-downs, tallying, searching, etc. I save state wherever I can (conveniently), with callbacks.

One of the screens is a search of a items on a tally sheet. The search displays a kb that partially overlays the tally sheet. As search letters are keyed in the underlying tally sheet is updated to display items that match the search. Without leaving the search (the kb is still displayed) you can scroll and update the tally sheet by tapping on an item.

Another screen is a data entry screen (customer data). Similar to the above, a kb partially overlays the data entry form. You enter data directly into fields (and scroll the underlying form) with the kb displayed.

I tried switching to another app in the middle of:

1) entering a search and updating the tally shy

2) entering data into a field (text area) of the customer form.

3) in the middle of sending an email with the app's data

In every case it returns state to exactly where it was... That's pretty amazing: in the middle of entering data into a filed; a partial search; sending an email.

It is doing more-granular state management than I do in the app.

How'd they do that?

• Reply 203 of 219
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It is running fine.

The home button works (for me) as follows:

-- fast double-tap: reveals multitasked apps

-- slow double-tap: goes to search screen

-- single-tap: exits (suspends) app and returns to current icon page.

I haven't figured out how to quit an app.

I wrote an app that has several tabs with text entry, drill-downs, tallying, searching, etc. I save state wherever I can (conveniently), with callbacks.

One of the screens is a search of a items on a tally sheet. The search displays a kb that partially overlays the tally sheet. As search letters are keyed in the underlying tally sheet is updated to display items that match the search. Without leaving the search (the kb is still displayed) you can scroll and update the tally sheet by tapping on an item.

Another screen is a data entry screen (customer data). Similar to the above, a kb partially overlays the data entry form. You enter data directly into fields (and scroll the underlying form) with the kb displayed.

I tried switching to another app in the middle of:

1) entering a search and updating the tally shy

2) entering data into a field (text area) of the customer form.

3) in the middle of sending an email with the app's data

In every case it returns state to exactly where it was... That's pretty amazing: in the middle of entering data into a filed; a partial search; sending an email.

It is doing more-granular state management than I do in the app.

How'd they do that?

Most iPhone apps save their state regardless of where you are. Especially ones just adding data. The way to quit an app is to just click the Home Button once. When you doubtle-tap the Home Button you are NOT seeing apps that are running in the background, you are seeing a list of recent apps.

I tested this using SpeedTest to see my network bandwidth. This is a good test because it take a good 30 seconds for the test to complete. If you double-tap the Home Button it's still running, showing you your recently ran apps. I then choose Shazam, which is also good because it takes time to complete. I started it and then doble-tapped the Home Button and choose SpeedTest again. SpeedTest booted from scratch and so did Shazam when I went back in, neither with a record of the data I was trying to capture for bandwidth and song title, respectively.

Obviously they don't have the multitasking APIs in place, but that is my point. They are showing up in the area we were told is for background capable apps when it's currently showing all recently ran apps.
  • Reply 204 of 219
    Quote:

Most iPhone apps save their state regardless of where you are. Especially ones just adding data. The way to quit an app is to just click the Home Button once. When you doubtle-tap the Home Button you are NOT seeing apps that are running in the background, you are seeing a list of recent apps.

I tested this using SpeedTest to see my network bandwidth. This is a good test because it take a good 30 seconds for the test to complete. If you double-tap the Home Button it's still running, showing you your recently ran apps. I then choose Shazam, which is also good because it takes time to complete. I started it and then doble-tapped the Home Button and choose SpeedTest again. SpeedTest booted from scratch and so did Shazam when I went back in, neither with a record of the data I was trying to capture for bandwidth and song title, respectively.

Obviously they don't have the multitasking APIs in place, but that is my point. They are showing up in the area we were told is for background capable apps when it's currently showing all recently ran apps.

Ahh... I see!

Maybe, as the beta evolves, the suspended apps will be badged and grouped ahead of the recent (terminated) apps.

Still, without the developer doing anything we have a decent app switcher.

I just had my first hang... Had to Reboot! I wrote another app that plays streaming AV. With a lot of apps previously started (and some suspended): I started playing a video, then resumed the iPod app, then resumed my app. It hung on resumption. To be honest my app needs to be upgraded to incorporate the latest changes to the AV APIs.

But, still, I am just trying to break/test multitasking (app switching).

• Reply 205 of 219
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... I see!

Maybe, as the beta evolves, the suspended apps will be badged and grouped ahead of the recent (terminated) apps.

Still, without the developer doing anything we have a decent app switcher.

I just had my first hang... Had to Reboot! I wrote another app that plays streaming AV. With a lot of apps previously started (and some suspended): I started playing a video, then resumed the iPod app, then resumed my app. It hung on resumption. To be honest my app needs to be upgraded to incorporate the latest changes to the AV APIs.

But, still, I am just trying to break/test multitasking (app switching).

Does anyone know what other features won't be available on 2nd & 3rd gen iPhones & touches?
  • Reply 206 of 219
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNoodles View Post

No, look at the JB app, LockInfo. Awesome app. One of the large reasons I stayed with my iPhone.

Great point. I'm going to have to look into it I reckon and bite the bullet.
  • Reply 207 of 219
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Good news, but I d have preferred the even better news of turning the cellular component off altogether, I don't see why I need to have the extra few sars of radiation if I don't want to receive any calls. I am talking about airplane mode with the wifi enabled. It's marginal request, but it could come out handy to some users.

As far as I know this has always been doable on the iphone. When I go to sleep I flick on airplane mode but leave wifi mode on so it can receive mail or I can use it to check something, but I wont get any calls overnight,
  • Reply 208 of 219
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I am more and more impressed with the state saving,

I started my app-- it saves state to a file, a transaction file containing a lot of dictionaries: customer data; item data; shipping data, etc. The name of the file is generated using Customer Name and a date/time stamp (when the file was originally created).

When there are any updates the transaction file is saved. The files are quite big with hundreds of line items.

If the customer name has changed, a new transaction file (with a new name) is created from all the data in the old file, it is saved, then the original file is erased.

I changed the customer name, but did not leave the name field (no textFieldDidEndEditing callback).

But everything worked as expected-- the new file was created and saved and the old file deleted.

The only way I was able to avoid properly saving state was to home/power off the iPhone. The only thing incorrect (statewise) was that the name change hadn't been captured, but everything was still available prior to the name change.

The other thing... I tried running lots of supposedly RAM-hog apps, but was never able to force my app from suspended state to terminated state.

I wonder why?

• Reply 209 of 219
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

The are other multitasking APIs that addresss this making accessing the app fast. Even nkw with Tweetie 2 and Beejive I probably only lose 2seconds that could be saved by the fast app switching.

The PNS is genius. The real issue here is a need for a between system notification system and log.

PS: What app do you use that takes 30 seconds to load?

IM+ takes at least 30 seconds to log in over 3G. Beejive takes between 10 seconds and 30 seconds. Palringo is even more random, ranging between 10 seconds and 1-2 minutes.

None of them are anywhere near quick enough and make the process of logging in and sending an IM very frustrating.

I hope Apple have a solution in mind for IM and Twitter as I didn't see one mentioned at the OS 4 event, and for me this is the no.1 reason I wanted multi-tasking. Basically I want it to work like Android,- to be pulling in new IMs in the background all the time and stay permanently logged in so I can switch back instantly and send a reply.
  • Reply 210 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

IM+ takes at least 30 seconds to log in over 3G. Beejive takes between 10 seconds and 30 seconds. Palringo is even more random, ranging between 10 seconds and 1-2 minutes.

None of them are anywhere near quick enough and make the process of logging in and sending an IM very frustrating.

I hope Apple have a solution in mind for IM and Twitter as I didn't see one mentioned at the OS 4 event, and for me this is the no.1 reason I wanted multi-tasking. Basically I want it to work like Android,- to be pulling in new IMs in the background all the time and stay permanently logged in so I can switch back instantly and send a reply.

I checked Facebook, Foursquare, Tweetie 2 and Beejive. All start up within 2 seconds even after multiple tries on my 3GS. I am using v4.0 Beta 1, but the experience didn't seem any differently than before.

As for a solution for making it faster, that was addressed in the multitasking segment with Fast App Switching, allowing applications to save its state and stop running, and then restart instantly where you left it. Between that Push Notifications I think Apple has the most efficient multi-tasking environment of any mobile OS.
  • Reply 211 of 219
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think I posted some of this already, but here's the relevant exchange from the post presentation Q&A:

Quote:

Q: Background APIs. You don't seem to support anything that keeps track of a Twitter timeline or IM conversation. Is there a reason you're not letting people keep track of timelines?

Scott: we believe a lot of things like Twitter and stuff are great with push notifications. As far as saving your state, all of the fast app switching is much deeper than what I showed. Developers will learn when they read the documentation

It can save the state away, can see if more memory is needed, the app doesn't have to worry about it so for an app like that, the app can store exactly the state and when you come back to it, it'll pull in all the new feeds

Q: So will OS 4 be better at handling those kinds of constantly moving timelines than the current OS?

Scott: It'll be far better than today because today, the app quits

• Reply 212 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think I posted some of this already, but here's the relevant exchange from the post presentation Q&A:

I want to smack these people at the Q&A. I thought the presentation explained fast app switching quite well. On top of that, not one person inquired about robust system notifications.
  • Reply 213 of 219
    Quote:

I want to smack these people at the Q&A. I thought the presentation explained fast app switching quite well. On top of that, not one person inquired about robust system notifications.

Yeah, I kept waiting for a question about that or about a customizable homescreen. Those two: revamping notifications and putting more useful info on a homescreen, are the the two most prominent requests I see in pretty much every "what would you change in the iPhone OS" discussion around. There's one over at Ars this very minute, and homescreen/notifications are at the top of pretty much every list. File management is usually third, with things like orientation lock and OTA sync running a distant fourth.

I'm completely mystified why Apple doesn't seem to think that glanceable but fairl y detailed info about whatever the user likes (upcoming appointments, unacknowledged notifications, lists of messages, weather, etc) isn't a priority for a pocketable mobile device.

Especially with their obvious zeal to go hard against Android, did they not think this was a competitive addition? I mean, they're adding some pretty fine grained, esoteric functionality to the OS at this point, which is cool and all, but not finding the time to rethink a notification system that almost everyone thinks is broken? What do they think people are using their phones for?
  • Reply 214 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Yeah, I kept waiting for a question about that or about a customizable homescreen. Those two: revamping notifications and putting more useful info on a homescreen, are the the two most prominent requests I see in pretty much every "what would you change in the iPhone OS" discussion around. There's one over at Ars this very minute, and homescreen/notifications are at the top of pretty much every list. File management is usually third, with things like orientation lock and OTA sync running a distant fourth.

I'm completely mystified why Apple doesn't seem to think that glanceable but fairl y detailed info about whatever the user likes (upcoming appointments, unacknowledged notifications, lists of messages, weather, etc) isn't a priority for a pocketable mobile device.

Especially with their obvious zeal to go hard against Android, did they not think this was a competitive addition? I mean, they're adding some pretty fine grained, esoteric functionality to the OS at this point, which is cool and all, but not finding the time to rethink a notification system that almost everyone thinks is broken? What do they think people are using their phones for?

Are there any good arguments over at Ars or elsewhere for Apple adding it to a later Beta? Perhaps it wasn't ready in time for the presentation so they removed it entirely from v4.0 until they can take it from an Alpha stage to a later Beta or am I just being overly optimistic?
  • Reply 215 of 219
    Quote:

Are there any good arguments over at Ars or elsewhere for Apple adding it to a later Beta? Perhaps it wasn't ready in time for the presentation so they removed it entirely from v4.0 until they can take it from an Alpha stage to a later Beta or am I just being overly optimistic?

All I've seen is that bit about Steve being a little coy when asked about a more informative homescreen for the iPad. Haven't seen anything dug up in the new SDK that alludes to anything.

I dunno, maybe it's some weird Steve thing where live info on the homescreen breaks the symmetry of his device. Sometimes I wonder if illness and age haven't driven him a little insane. You know, where you cross over from the good "son of a bitch gets things done and has laser focus" sort of monomania to the bad "Steve says from now on all system sounds must be like the sighing of the wind on an empty plain where no man dares to go" sort of monomania.

If he does go the full Howard Hughes at least we can look forward to keynotes where he's wearing Kleenex boxes for shoes and all the new hardware features have to do with keeping the germs at bay.
  • Reply 216 of 219
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

I checked Facebook, Foursquare, Tweetie 2 and Beejive. All start up within 2 seconds even after multiple tries on my 3GS. I am using v4.0 Beta 1, but the experience didn't seem any differently than before.

As for a solution for making it faster, that was addressed in the multitasking segment with Fast App Switching, allowing applications to save its state and stop running, and then restart instantly where you left it. Between that Push Notifications I think Apple has the most efficient multi-tasking environment of any mobile OS.

Okay, that sounds encouraging and a world apart from my experience on my creaky old iPhone 3G with OS 3.

I would still have much preffered Android's multi-tasking model though. Being able to instantly pull up a Twitter client with all the latest tweets already downloaded sounds a lot nicer than Apple's solution.
  • Reply 217 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by el3ktro View Post

Cool, you can now set the language for voice control to a different one than the OS language.

That one is in the current OS as well. I have English as the system language and Finnish for voice over.
  • Reply 218 of 219
    So where the heck is iPhone OS 3.2 for *iPhone*?!

They better at least have another 3.x update for the original iPhone!!! Pretty poor policy to dump the early adopters from only 3 years ago!
  • Reply 219 of 219
    What the heck is "iPod Out"?