Adobe introduces Creative Suite 5.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Monday formally announced Adobe Creative Suite 5, the latest release of its design and creative workflow software that delivers full-version upgrades to all of the company's flagship creative tools in order to offer workflow enhancements to designers and developers.

Featuring integration with online content and digital marketing measurement and optimization capabilities for the first time, Creative Suite 5 products include access to Omniture technologies, to capture, store and analyze information generated by Web sites and other sources. Additionally, a brand new component, Adobe Flash Catalyst, joins the Creative Suite, ushering in the ability to design interactive content without writing code and improve the collaborative process between designer and developer.

"While Creative Suite 5 continues Adobe?s storied history of delivering astonishing new creative features, this release puts us front and center of the big issues facing publishers and creatives worldwide ? how to build businesses around digital assets and content," said Shantanu Narayen, president and chief executive officer, Adobe. "With Omniture Web technology we?re integrating critical business analytics directly into the creative process, shortening the time it takes to create and deploy high-impact content."

Due to to ship within the next 30 days, the Adobe CS5 product family also enables the creation of content and applications for Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR 2, which Adobe says are optimized for high performance on mobile screens and designed to take advantage of native device capabilities for a richer, more immersive user experience.

Product Family

This release line-up includes the following Creative Suite 5 editions:

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection ($2599)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium ($1899)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard ($1299)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Web Premium ($1799)

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Production Premium ($1699)

Included with the various suite editions are 15 point products, associated technologies and integration with new Adobe CS Live services: (CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time.)

Photoshop CS5

Illustrator CS5

InDesign CS5

Acrobat 9 Pro

Flash Catalyst CS5

Flash Professional CS5

Flash Builder 4

Dreamweaver CS5

Fireworks CS5

Contribute CS5

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

After Effects CS5

Encore CS5

Soundbooth CS5

Adobe OnLocation CS5

Adobe Bridge CS5

Adobe Device Central CS5

Adobe Dynamic Link

Comparison Tool

Adobe offers a Creative Suite 5 editions comparison tool that breaks down the components included with each suite edition:

New Features

Among the suites major new features are:

Truer Edge technology in Photoshop CS5 Extended offers improved edge detecting technology and masking results in less time. Photoshop CS5 Extended also lets users remove an image element and immediately replace the missing pixels with Content-Aware Fill.

InDesign CS5 powers the transition to digital publishing with new interactive documents and enhanced eReader device support.

Native 64-bit support in Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects enables customers to work more fluidly on high resolution projects.

New Text Layout Framework in Flash Professional CS5 provides professional-level typography capabilities with functions like kerning, ligatures, tracking, leading, threaded text block and multiple columns.

New stroke options in Illustrator CS5 allow users to create strokes of variable widths and precisely adjust the width at any point along the stroke.

The NVIDIA GPU accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine allows Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 users to open projects faster, refine effects-rich HD sequences in real time and play back complex projects without rendering.

The new Roto Brush tool in After Effects helps users save time by isolating moving foreground elements in a fraction of the normal time.

Dreamweaver CS5 now supports popular content management systems Drupal, Joomla! and WordPress, allowing designers to get accurate views of dynamic Web content from within Dreamweaver.

Adobe CS Live

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium also integrates with new Adobe CS Live, a set of five online services that accelerate key aspects of the creative workflow and enable designers to focus on creating their best work. CS Live online services are complimentary for a limited time and currently include:

Adobe BrowserLab, a tool for testing Web site content across different browsers and operating systems.

Adobe CS Review, which enables online design reviews directly from within Creative Suite 5 applications.

Access to Acrobat.com services, such as Adobe ConnectNow Web conferencing, to enhance discussion and information exchange with colleagues and clients around the globe.

Adobe Story, a collaborative script writing tool that improves production and post-production workflows in CS5 Production Premium.

SiteCatalyst NetAverages from Omniture, which provides Web usage data that helps reduce the guesswork early in the creative process when designing for Web and mobile.

Pricing and Availability

Adobe Creative Suite 5 and its associated point products are scheduled to ship within 30 days, with availability through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales. At 11:00 am ET (8:00 am PT) today, Adobe will offer a live streaming preview of CS5 through its website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    You should too.
  • Reply 2 of 73
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    No 64 bit Illustrator no upgrades for my firm, guess we'll stay on CS3 for another 2 years. Can't stand these bundles either, we end up paying for a bunch of apps we never use, what a waste. I hate the monopoly Adobe has become in the creative biz.
  • Reply 3 of 73
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Bloated software, bloated prices. I'll pass.
  • Reply 4 of 73
    devindevin Posts: 8member
    OMG!! WHERE'S MY FLASH TO IPHONE SUPPORT?!

lol...

Just kidding =)
  • Reply 5 of 73
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

If this is the best that they can do a lot of folks are going to switch to a PC. Adobe has treated Apple owners like second class citizens for too long!

And now that Adobe software cannot be used to create iPad and iPhone apps, the writing is on the wall. Developers will not want to develop for corporate brochures, interactive web sites, Android, WebOS, Win7 and everything else all at once if they CANNOT also develop for the iPad at the same time.

Adobe should have delayed this release until they could do it right.
  • Reply 6 of 73
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.
  • Reply 7 of 73
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well. If you want to buy Photoshop you have to buy a bunch of other stuff that you may not want. It's like buying some eggs at the grocers only to be told you cannot have them unless you buy bacon too! Both the pricing and the bundling are indications of Adobe 'abusing their dominant market position' as the legal term has it. I cannot understand why the EU has not hauled them in and told them to play fair with consumers.
  • Reply 8 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

$200 to upgrade my Photoshop CS4 to CS5 isn't so bad.

My entire Final Cut Pro Studio was $99 to upgrade last year and that included all the apps!
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well. If you want to buy Photoshop you have to buy a bunch of other stuff that you may not want....

You can still buy Photoshop by itself for $699.
  • Reply 10 of 73
    If anyone fancies a chance of winning the CS5 Premium Edition just head over to the graphic design forum.

Really easy competition - just post a link somewhere, your blog, a forum and tell them in the comments where it is.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    just find a student and ask them to use their i.d. and get the entire bundle for around $500 from their school bookstore.

i did this years ago when i was in school. of course, now i have to pay around $500+ for the design suite upgrade, but it's still better than paying over a grand for it.
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My entire Final Cut Pro Studio was $99 to upgrade last year and that included all the apps!

Mine was $199. How'd you get yours for $99? Even still, Photoshop is still a good program and worth the $200 for me.
  • Reply 13 of 73
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Jeezus . . . there's more bloat there than on a ten-dollar pork chop.
  • Reply 14 of 73
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    Again, too expensive. I passed on CS4, so now they are penalizing me by asking me to pay $800! for CS5 Premium. I think CS4 was about $600.

I don't want Flash. I would still like Dreamweaver, although it seems a lot of Web people are not using it anymore...
  • Reply 15 of 73
    Yep, go for Coda instead.
  • Reply 16 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Wow look at those prices! This practise of 'bundling' apps together is egregious as well.

Yep. I need Photoshop and Illustrator (or something to replace them) and After Effects (to play around and see what all it can do) and I might end up paying the same amount getting them separate as I do in the bundle

The game for Adobe is that they have gotten so entrenched in the market that they are the 'standard' and so they can charge professional level prices. They do a nice education discount but getting that license isn't easy. You can't fake it and say you are a student. You have to prove it. In detail.

And they only do a 'consumer' version of Photoshop (elements) which is decent but programs like Pixelmator are catching up. And I think they still do a Premiere junior. But nothing else from what I recall.
  • Reply 17 of 73
    Is it Cocoa 64 now?
  • Reply 18 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Mine was $199. How'd you get yours for $99? Even still, Photoshop is still a good program and worth the $200 for me.

I phoned up Apple and begged . Actually I did, I had just bought the previous update a few months earlier and asked if they'd cut me a break and they did. I buy through the business department as I get a lot of stuff. But yes, $199 was the full price but still one heck of a deal for all those apps, and what apps!!!
  • Reply 19 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justbobf View Post

Again, too expensive. I passed on CS4, so now they are penalizing me by asking me to pay $800! for CS5 Premium. I think CS4 was about $600.

I don't want Flash. I would still like Dreamweaver, although it seems a lot of Web people are not using it anymore...

I only want Photoshop these days.
  • Reply 20 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I phoned up Apple and begged . Actually I did, I had just bought the previous update a few months earlier and asked if they'd cut me a break and they did. I buy through the business department as I get a lot of stuff. But yes, $199 was the full price but still one heck of a deal for all those apps, and what apps!!!

Keep in mind also that that was from either previous suite. Not like Adobe where CS 3 to 4 was like a bump of $500 and CS1 or 2 to CS4 was like $800