Apple approves Opera Mini app for iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Opera has announced Apple's approval of the company's Opera Mini browser in the iPhone App Store.

The new browser should become available in the App Store within the next day, and will be a free download. It will work on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad as a classic app that can be pixel doubled.

Opera submitted the app March 23, and observers have waited to see whether Apple would ultimately approve or deny the alternative web browser.

Back in October 2008, Opera co-founder Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner told the New York Times that his company had ported the Mini browser to the iPhone, but had assumed that it would not be approved because of Apple's policies.

Mozilla, the developer of Firefox, had similarly complained that Apple would probably not approve of its alternative web browser on the iPhone, so it simply did not try to submit one.

The Mini in Opera Mini

Opera Mini is unique both in that it does not use the WebKit browser engine, and that it uses a proxy compression scheme to greatly reduce web traffic. All the pages a user browses in Opera Mini are relayed through Opera's servers, which reduce the size of content by as much as 90%.

This design results in speedy browsing, which is specifically useful to mobile users with limited network access. Opera Mini claims page loading speeds up to six times faster than Apple's Mobile Safari when using a mobile 3G network. However, the features also bypasses SSL security, making it undesirable for accessing banking information.

Opera Mini also offers other features Safari doesn't, including the ability to search the contents of web pages. It does not include a pinch to zoom feature, which is something that Apple has insisted on reserving for its own bundled apps.

In a press release, Opera chief executive Lars Boilesen said, "We are delighted to offer iPhone and iPod touch users a great browsing experience with the Opera Mini app. This app is another step toward Opera's goal of bringing the Web to more people in more places."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    A good move by Apple that provides choice for their users.
  • Reply 2 of 77
    Did Apple just remove it? lmao

I did a search for it but no go.

I went to Opera's website and clicked on their iTunes link but I got a "Your request could not be completed." message from the AppStore.

I guess Steve found out and blew a gasket.
  • Reply 3 of 77
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    That'll shut a lot of people up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fernando View Post

I went to Opera's website and clicked on their iTunes link but I got a "Your request could not be completed." message from the AppStore.:

Dude, give it 24 hours.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I have a feeling they're going to pull it.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:

I went to Opera's website and clicked on their iTunes link but I got a "Your request could not be completed." message from the AppStore.

They said it should be available in the next day in the main article, there in the second sentence:

Quote:

"The new browser should become available in the App Store within the next day, and will be a free download. It will work on the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad as a classic app that can be pixel doubled."

• Reply 6 of 77
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

The website also says the release is on the 13th and today is the 12th. Apps usually appear within 24 hours after approval. Check tomorrow.
  • Reply 7 of 77
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, the features also bypasses SSL security, making it undesirable for accessing banking information.

And a host of other websites. But I'm sure it's safe for you guys... Be sure to let me know how it works out for you.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    I wonder if the increases or decreases the odds of a FireFox and/or Chrome for iOS?

If'n I were a bettin' man, and I am, I would bet against Firefox and especially Chrome for the iPhone/IPad.

So, how soon until someone ports Chrome/Android to run on the iPhone hardware?
  • Reply 9 of 77
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    It's available in the UK store. I downloaded it a couple of hours ago.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/opera...363729560?mt=8
  • Reply 10 of 77
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reliason View Post

I wonder if the increases or decreases the odds of a FireFox and/or Chrome for iOS?

If'n I were a bettin' man, and I am, I would bet against Firefox and especially Chrome for the iPhone/IPad.

So, how soon until someone ports Chrome/Android to run on the iPhone hardware?

2) Sigh... please don't start a trend of calling it iOS. Cisco has been calling the OS that runs it's hardware IOS for years.. Not to mention it's called iPhone OS. Do you call "Mac OS X" "MOSX"? Almost as bad as people calling the iPod touch the iTouch...

2) if you're going to go through all the trouble it would take to install Android on an iPhone, why not just jailbrake the phone to get around App Store restrictions and keep the superior UX?
  • Reply 11 of 77
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

It's available in the UK store. I downloaded it a couple of hours ago.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/opera...363729560?mt=8

Hmm, how did they get away with rating it 4+ when an app simply including a web browsing feature has to be rated 17+?
  • Reply 12 of 77
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Downloaded it.

Installed it.

Opened appleinsider.com.

Cringed.

Tried some more complex sites.

Almost fainted.

Deleted it.

Rated it 1 star.

Rendition is terrible. Pinch to zoom is like sawing a marshmallow. Makes Mobile Safari look like the greatest browser ever.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    I've just recently started using the Opera Mobile 10 browser for Symbian on my Nokia (don't judge - I prefer a real keyboard - plus I have a new iPad) and its been a revelation, making the crappy MEdiaNet browser look just as bad as it is. I had been hoping that Mozilla would eventually relent and release some Fennec-type version for Symbian, now that is moot. Personally on Mac OS X I much prefer Firefox over Safari; I think its fine for Apple to have some software competition on all of its devices.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Wow! this is good. Especially since i?ll be getting my fourth generation iPhone soon. Imagine the Opera speed on the at&t 3G network? it?ll be super fast. But, if the so called Verizon iPhone were to put it up to the test, it will just be a, normal safari like web browser speed. Pretty much..
  • Reply 15 of 77
    crimguycrimguy Posts: 124member
    No matter how good it is, if it was developed using 3rd party cross-compilers or tools it will be a dead end when OS 4 comes out. And that's a bad thing . . .
  • Reply 16 of 77
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Downloaded it.

Installed it.

Opened appleinsider.com.

Cringed.

Tried some more complex sites.

Almost fainted.

Deleted it.

Rated it 1 star.

Rendition is terrible. Pinch to zoom is like sawing a marshmallow. Makes Mobile Safari look like the greatest browser ever.

All comments should be written in this format.
  • Reply 17 of 77
    dromendromen Posts: 2member
    After a week of "Apple against the world" headlines, this is refreshingly non-adversarial news. Opera does some good work, I am glad to see that Apple is willing to play ball.
  • Reply 18 of 77
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    It may well be that Apple tried to avoid the position that M$ maneuvered themselves in in Europe by initially tying Explorer with their OS. Now they have to offer all browsers that will run on Windoz.

If so, smart move on Apple's part (especially if the browser is not worth downloading, see above)
  • Reply 19 of 77
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

All comments should be written in this format.

Hehe, sorry, but since these Opera guys were creating such a ballyhoo around this junk, including an original blackmail countdown timer... I figured it deserves some space
  • Reply 20 of 77
    ijohnijohn Posts: 16member
    I don't like the idea of having all my web traffic passing through Opera servers. I'm happy with Safari.