Apple exploring USB 3.0, DisplayPort combo in new mini connector

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    The proliferation of connectors is not as bad as this getting patented. I mean - where is the novelty in having more pins and a different shape ?
  • Reply 62 of 75
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Well they are working on LightPeak as we speak. Which will have its first lunch in late 2010. Even before Intel put out an USB 3.0 Chipset.

What we need now is an controller which could fit and soft layer translate USB 3.0 and DisplayPort Protocol into Lightpeak.
  • Reply 63 of 75
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

FireWire 800 which your iMac has now?

IEEE approved FireWire 3200 back in July 2008.
  • Reply 64 of 75
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Nope. sorry.

Much better to have ports designed around products, than to have products designed around ports.

One of these two ways is the way Apple has always, always, always done it. The other way is the way PC makers have always done it (with very few exceptions)

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

No port is designed without a concept for its use, and what kind of products it will be good for. No products are designed without using the relevant ports.

Neither is designed without knowledge of the other.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Well they are working on LightPeak as we speak. Which will have its first lunch in late 2010. Even before Intel put out an USB 3.0 Chipset.

What we need now is an controller which could fit and soft layer translate USB 3.0 and DisplayPort Protocol into Lightpeak.

The two are related. It's thought that Intel withdrew their USB chipset because of Lightpeak. It was pretty much finished a while ago.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    At one of the computer stores that I worked at years ago, the sales team had a mark-up based target rather than a conventional sales target. The stores computer system allowed you to go in and check the mark-up of each item for sale.

Of all the products that we sold, cables had the highest mark-up, by far. The profit margin on cables is unbelievable, even higher than printer cartridges. They were selling £75 SCSI-3 cables which cost the store 70p.

As a result, the switched-on sales team members used to hang around the cables aisle. You couldn't get anybody to help you if you wanted to purchase a computer or monitor etc., but if you stepped anywhere near the cable aisle they descended on you like a flock of seagulls.

I would suspect that most MacBook users purchase some form of Apple proprietary cable at some point. Apple has a long history of using non-standard video interfaces, going back to the G4 with its non-standard DVI connector. ADC was arguably the worst. But if you look at more recent products, the MacBooks used Mini DVI, the MacBook Airs used Micro DVI, and now everything uses Mini DisplayPort.

At the University that I work at, the various Apple display connectors have become a bit of a running joke. The video adaptors have collectively become known amongst the staff as 'lollipops', and you always have to double-check that you have the respective lollipops with you. To make matters worse, you can't always daisy chain adaptors together because, again, Apple uses non-standard implementations. If I've got a black MacBook, and I want to drive a VGA projector, I can't go from Mini DVI to DVI, to DVI to VGA because the male and female DVI connectors have different pin configurations (they won't physically mate).

Everyday I'm lecturing I personally have to carry:

Apple MagSafe charger

Apple Dock cable

Mini DisplayPort to DVI

Mini DisplayPort to VGA

Mini DVI to DVI

Mini DVI to VGA

DVI to VGA

Micro DVI to DVI
  • Reply 67 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

How much do you think Apple gets for those cables? Very little. The 30 pin port is a special port which is rather complex. Apple has been approached by music player and phone manufacturers to license that port, but Apple wisely refused. That port gives Apple a major advantage over other companies. The amount they make from licensing it is minor. Licensing is a way of controlling who uses the design. Apple wants to do some QC over the manufacturing process. That's the only way they can do it. Otherwise we get $0.99 cent cables that fail quickly and can damage Apple's products.

Again I'll mention that they licensed the Mini Displayport to VESA for nothing.

Look all I know is they sell MDP -> DVI and Mini DVI-> DVI for $30. But you can get the same exact thing at any other seller as a generic cable for $4. (Google Shopping) Apple rips us off with accessories and has been since...at least since I can remember in the early 90s. Do I care? Nope. I'll just buy cheapo adapters and cables.
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

And I'm seriously wondering if there is a better, current solution. Mel clued me in on the extra power cable issue, which is relevant when using portable external drives. USB 3.0 seems superior in that application.

It's not a problem if they used the integrated USB/eSATA port that most PCs use. That allows the USB port to provide the power for the eSATA drive. I think a couple of portable drives already utilize that feature.
  • Reply 69 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

At one of the computer stores that I worked at years ago, the sales team had a mark-up based target rather than a conventional sales target. The stores computer system allowed you to go in and check the mark-up of each item for sale.

Of all the products that we sold, cables had the highest mark-up, by far. The profit margin on cables is unbelievable, even higher than printer cartridges. They were selling £75 SCSI-3 cables which cost the store 70p.

As a result, the switched-on sales team members used to hang around the cables aisle. You couldn't get anybody to help you if you wanted to purchase a computer or monitor etc., but if you stepped anywhere near the cable aisle they descended on you like a flock of seagulls.

I would suspect that most MacBook users purchase some form of Apple proprietary cable at some point. Apple has a long history of using non-standard video interfaces, going back to the G4 with its non-standard DVI connector. ADC was arguably the worst. But if you look at more recent products, the MacBooks used Mini DVI, the MacBook Airs used Micro DVI, and now everything uses Mini DisplayPort.

At the University that I work at, the various Apple display connectors have become a bit of a running joke. The video adaptors have collectively become known amongst the staff as 'lollipops', and you always have to double-check that you have the respective lollipops with you. To make matters worse, you can't always daisy chain adaptors together because, again, Apple uses non-standard implementations. If I've got a black MacBook, and I want to drive a VGA projector, I can't go from Mini DVI to DVI, to DVI to VGA because the male and female DVI connectors have different pin configurations (they won't physically mate).

Everyday I'm lecturing I personally have to carry:

Apple MagSafe charger

Apple Dock cable

Mini DisplayPort to DVI

Mini DisplayPort to VGA

Mini DVI to DVI

Mini DVI to VGA

DVI to VGA

Micro DVI to DVI

I used to work electronics dept. as well...yep cable sale commissions were the highest. Better to sell a few monster cables than a huge TV and a lot quicker to make the sale, too. I still can't believe Apple was so stupid as to invent all these custom connectors. I thought they learned their friggin' lesson with ADB and NuBus and crap. I guess not. At least we have x86 anyway. Their nuts expensive adapters are pure profit for AAPL but I wonder how much less business and pro sales they're making because of stupid product design decisions like this. Non-standard stuff doesn't do too well in business. It's sad because Macs could be great work computers. But unless they drop this "cool" shtick and silly designs such as these silly adapters that unclutter precious Steve Jobs' desk, most businesses just aren't going to get Macs.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Look all I know is they sell MDP -> DVI and Mini DVI-> DVI for $30. But you can get the same exact thing at any other seller as a generic cable for $4. (Google Shopping) Apple rips us off with accessories and has been since...at least since I can remember in the early 90s. Do I care? Nope. I'll just buy cheapo adapters and cables.

What you're saying isn't necessarily true. There are bad cables and good cables. The truth is that there are brands that do cost far too much, and there are brands that are priced properly. I can usually tell if a cable is junk or not.
  • Reply 71 of 75
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    The last time they tried something similar, they ended abandoning it and going back to normal DVI.
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Light Peak appears to be an attempt to replace a huge assortment of connector formats with a new standard. Unfortunately it looks like they will use the same crappy connector design as USB, with no discernible polarization.

To me the ultimate connector design would be a 3.5mm barrel, with power carried on the inside and outside cylinders, and an optical fiber in the center, like a coaxial cable. Small, rugged, and NO polarization/insertion hassles.

But...does anyone know if a single fiber can carry data in both directions at once? or is there too much reflection from the fiber endpoints?
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The-Steve View Post

Light Peak appears to be an attempt to replace a huge assortment of connector formats with a new standard. Unfortunately it looks like they will use the same crappy connector design as USB, with no discernible polarization.

To me the ultimate connector design would be a 3.5mm barrel, with power carried on the inside and outside cylinders, and an optical fiber in the center, like a coaxial cable. Small, rugged, and NO polarization/insertion hassles.

But...does anyone know if a single fiber can carry data in both directions at once? or is there too much reflection from the fiber endpoints?

Fiber these days is multi-modal. It can carry many signals at once in both directions, as light won't intefere with itself if it's on different frequencies. That's the way communications fiber optics work now.
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Fiber these days is multi-modal. It can carry many signals at once in both directions, as light won't intefere with itself if it's on different frequencies. That's the way communications fiber optics work now.

OK Apple, make it so!
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The-Steve View Post

OK Apple, make it so!

That should be; "Ok Intel, make it so." Until they get it finished, by the end of the year, hopefully, we ain't gonna see it.