Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 366
    hmayeshmayes Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

No USB 3.0 or eSATA. Just a performance bump. Better than nothing I guess. The 1680x1050 resolution on the 15" model is nice.

USB 3.0 would be ok. Do you really think adding eSATA is even on Apple's roadmap for their portables? If you do you may want to look elsewhere. It's just not going to happen because they have no good reason to add it.

Then again I guess you had to find SOMETHING to complain about.

-Mayes
  • Reply 22 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Does this Auto graphics switching thing mean the machine is going to be using the integrated intel video and my main system memory? If so is there a way to force this not to use the integrated graphics so it doesn't use my system memory? I don't want to be giving up system ram for anything video if there is discrete video ram.

Exactly. This is why I was wondering if it's possible to override the auto setting.
  • Reply 23 of 366
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Only 'cause SJ says it is.

That has ALWAYS been enough!
  • Reply 24 of 366
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    I was hoping they'd be made out of cake.
  • Reply 25 of 366
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Nice update.

An i3 in the 13" would have been perfect but we can't have everything I guess.

Next refresh will get one.

They stuck with the Core2 so they wouldn't need to do the dual graphics chipset thing. The next refresh will not change anything unless Intel changes their policies that don't allow other vendors to put a GPU in a chipset. I have not looked at the benchmarks, but there may be very little difference between the i3 and the Core2 anyway.
  • Reply 26 of 366
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Nice refresh. The only thing I'm concerned about is the Intel HD graphics...

Anyone have any specs for the Intel HD integrated graphic cards? I can't imagine that it's a step backwards from the integrated Nvidia cards in the older models, but I haven't heard a good thing about Intel's integrated offering for quite some time now.
  • Reply 27 of 366
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly..... let me pre-empt the whiners: No Blu Ray, matte, touch screen, USB3, pixie dust, 20-hour battery, user-removable battery..... moan moan.......

Get on with it, folks!

I'm actually quite disappointed the 13" MBP didn't get an i3 or i5 cpu. I really would like to replace my nearly 4 year old MBP with a new machine but this isn't enough of an upgrade for me to pry open my wallet.

Apple is making it easy for me to behave in a financially prudent manner in this difficult economic times.
  • Reply 28 of 366
    bosoxbosox Posts: 20member
    Apple is spoiling us with these weekly announcements and new products. What's next? The new Apple TV? \
  • Reply 29 of 366
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Wooooo! Finally!

Nice update! GT 330M *drools*
  • Reply 30 of 366
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Released within a day of each other:

The 2.53 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro $2,299

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection $2,599

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 31 of 366
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Nice refresh.

Anyone have any specs for the Intel HD integrated graphic cards? I can't imagine that it's a step backwards from the integrated Nvidia cards in the older models, but I haven't heard a good thing about Intel's integrated offering for quite some time now.

As I understand it, for most operations it's on a par with the older integrated NVidia cards, for the rest it's slower. Not great considering the age of that older Nvidia card. But, none of the MacBook Pros have the Intel HD graphics as their sole graphics chip, so I don't see a problem. For many tasks, even the capabilities of the Intel HD graphics chip are overkill.
  • Reply 32 of 366
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OK:

WTF? Still no bluray

I know.. WTF. Well at least we can still hear the fans blowing when we visit Flash sites.

Oh wait, let me guess. The MacBooks still don't come with backlit keyboards. LOL !!!

Apple has insisted for like 10 years now that backlit keyboards are a PRO feature.

Go pro and enjoy a Mystic Wizard Blue backlit keyboard.
  • Reply 33 of 366
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Released within a day of each other:

The 2.53 GHz, 17-inch MacBook Pro $2,299

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Master Collection $2,599

Just sayin'.

YES! Well done.
  • Reply 34 of 366
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:

No USB 3.0 or eSATA. Just a performance bump. Better than nothing I guess. The 1680x1050 resolution on the 15" model is nice.

USB 3 will come when it is built-in to chipsets. eSATA may never come to the Mac this late in the game. I think Apple is more likely to go for LightPeak next year. You could always get the 17" model and get an express card though.
  • Reply 35 of 366
    bosoxbosox Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I'm actually quite disappointed the 13" MBP didn't get an i3 or i5 cpu. I really would like to replace my nearly 4 year old MBP with a new machine but this isn't enough of an upgrade for me to pry open my wallet.

Apple is making it easy for me to behave in a financially prudent manner in this difficult economic times.

My 10 month old MBP is also fine for now. I suggest avoiding an Apple Retail Store and fondling the iPad. Prudence might give way to impulse in a New York minute.
  • Reply 36 of 366
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HMayes View Post

USB 3.0 would be ok. Do you really think adding eSATA is even on Apple's roadmap for their portables? If you do you may want to look elsewhere. It's just not going to happen because they have no good reason to add it.

Then again I guess you had to find SOMETHING to complain about.

-Mayes

Either USB 3.0 or eSATA. Honestly though, I didn't really expect eSATA. But you were right, I needed something to complain about.
  • Reply 37 of 366
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

USB 3 will come when it is built-in to chipsets. eSATA may never come to the Mac this late in the game. I think Apple is more likely to go for LightPeak next year. You could always get the 17" model and get an express card though.

Yes, it's been suggested. OWC has an eSATA adapter for $40.
  • Reply 38 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OK:

WTF? Still no bluray

No 1080p. No eSata.
  • Reply 39 of 366
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

**insert obligatory Apple complaint here**

There are 185,000 apps in the App Store and these MacBook Pros can't run any of them!

Unless I can install any app I want to on my portable it is not a real computer.

No touch screen, no accelerometer, no option for 3G... No deal!

• Reply 40 of 366
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Wow. Just found this, and I'm very confused. http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/i...for-video-med/

The link seems to suggest that the integrated Intel HD graphic chips are worse than the Nvidia offering in the previous models? ? :s