Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 366
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    So, the difference between the $1799 15" and the $1999 version is 0.13Ghz of cpu speed and a bigger hard drive?

Before you got the addition of the discrete graphics for that step up.

Sweet for me, I would have bought the $1999 version before to get the discrete graphics. So Apple is offering a much better machine at the $1799 price point.

I was hoping for the matte display option on the 13", but I don't know if I would have pulled the trigger on that given that they are still using the core 2 duo...

Time to bust out the wallet and order a 15"...

I currently don't have a mac, just a fairly recent thinkpad. I don't mind the hardware, but can't wait to dump windoze.

I just went to configure a 15" model. You HAVE to get the higher res screen if you want the matte display. So the $50 option is now $150 option. Apple giveth, Apple taketh away... Still a better deal than having to pay $200 to get the discrete graphics and $50 for the matte display.
  • Reply 42 of 366
    Well I was really really hoping Apple would have realized their mistake and put the Expresscard slot back in the 15" model. Other than that, I wasn't really expecting more than what we got. Oh, well.
  • Reply 43 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    [QUOTE=HMayes;1611557Do you really think adding eSATA is even on Apple's roadmap for their portables? If you do you may want to look elsewhere. It's just not going to happen because they have no good reason to add it.

[/QUOTE]

Faster backups is a plenty good reason.

What does the MBP that will allow backups as fast as eSata?
  • Reply 44 of 366
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

OK:

WTF? Still no bluray

The continued use of Core 2 Duos in the 13" is a bit dissapointed, but overall a pretty good update, bordering on great for the 15 and 17 inch models. I would have also preferred 16:9 displays, but they did just update the form factor.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Digital downloads:

Even bigger bag of hurt.
  • Reply 45 of 366
    kbeatkbeat Posts: 48member
    After waiting months for Apple to finally update their MacBook Pro line to catch up in performance with Dell and HP, they finally release new models. However, while they finally went i5 and i7, they only used the new dual core models. You can't even get a quad core version as a BTO. Considering you've been able to buy a quad core laptop from Dell and HP since 2009, this is a pretty big let down.

I had been waiting for quad core models to assist with all the heavy duty RAW work I do, but looks like Apple intends to keep that as a desktop only option. The dual core i5 and i7 don't represent that much of a leap over the 3.06 GHz dual core processor they replace. Even Apple's own tests, which are notoriously generous, peg the improvement in Aperture 3, a performance hog, at 1.1 times faster. 1.1? That's likely not noticeable in real world use.

Looks like the gap between PC and Mac laptop performance is only going to grow given Apple's decision to keep the laptop line at dual core.
  • Reply 46 of 366
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Really surprised the 13 inch didn't get a resolution update. That baseline 15 inch is looking pretty good. Solid updates.
  • Reply 47 of 366
    motleemotlee Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly..... let me pre-empt the whiners: No Blu Ray, matte, touch screen, USB3, pixie dust, 20-hour battery, user-removable battery..... moan moan.......

Get on with it, folks!

Don't forget " I can get a similar PC for waaaayyyy less $$"

My favorite.
  • Reply 48 of 366
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    So glad the new MBP is finally here.

Base line 15 + High Res
  • Reply 49 of 366
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

So, the difference between the $1799 15" and the $1999 version is 0.13Ghz of cpu speed?

How do you say, No, in less than 5 characters?
  • Reply 50 of 366
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KBeat View Post

After waiting months for Apple to finally update their MacBook Pro line to catch up in performance with Dell and HP, they finally release new models. However, while they finally went i5 and i7, they only used the new dual core models. You can't even get a quad core version as a BTO. Considering you've been able to buy a quad core laptop from Dell and HP since 2009, this is a pretty big let down.

I had been waiting for quad core models to assist with all the heavy duty RAW work I do, but looks like Apple intends to keep that as a desktop only option. The dual core i5 and i7 don't represent that much of a leap over the 3.06 GHz dual core processor they replace. Even Apple's own tests, which are notoriously generous, peg the improvement in Aperture 3, a performance hog, at 1.1 times faster. 1.1? That's likely not noticeable in real world use.

Looks like the gap between PC and Mac laptop performance is only going to grow given Apple's decision to keep the laptop line at dual core.

Apple really isn't a professional minded company anymore. Its for lifestyle consumers with money to burn.
  • Reply 51 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Still no touch screen?

No Gorilla Arm, either. Bastards!
  • Reply 52 of 366
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

Does this Auto graphics switching thing mean the machine is going to be using the integrated intel video and my main system memory? If so is there a way to force this not to use the integrated graphics so it doesn't use my system memory? I don't want to be giving up system ram for anything video if there is discrete video ram.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly. This is why I was wondering if it's possible to override the auto setting.

No. There is no discrete video RAM any more, due to Intel's i3/i5/i7 chipset architecture. Read the very insightful articles on the new nVidia graphics I think on Ars Technica, but maybe here on AI. nVidia graphics will render the graphics and copy it into the Intel graphics frame buffer, and the Intel graphics will then do nothing more than output that frame buffer content to the video port.
  • Reply 53 of 366
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly..... let me pre-empt the whiners: No Blu Ray, matte, touch screen, USB3, pixie dust, 20-hour battery, user-removable battery..... moan moan.......

Get on with it, folks!

Yeah because something basic like Blu-Ray, which EVERY OTHER MAJOR PC MANUFACTURER OFFERS is unobtainable "pixie dust" when it comes to Apple. If they ever do offer it I'm sure it will be described as "magical"
  • Reply 54 of 366
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Weird, I was just configuring my 15" model and noticed there is no option to pre-install Bento.

I have looked at it a few times at the Apple store and thought it was cool. I wonder why it isn't there any more?

Do any of you have it? Do you like/use it? I thought it would be cool for tracking car repairs, big purchases, information about some of my hobbies.

Never mind, it is right there in front of my eyes! Doh! Still curious about other peoples opinions of it...
  • Reply 55 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Only 'cause SJ says it is.

Jobs mentioned the licensing fees were a "bag of hurt".

I LOVE my Blu-ray player. I keep it plugged into my HDTV. It even upsamples DVDs.

I could see using Blu-ray with my Mac for archival purposes. If I REALLY needed it, I'd buy an external. Unless the internal monitor, in my case a 15", doesn't support it, then what's the point?
  • Reply 56 of 366
    I'm buying a 15 inch next week when the paycheck arrives! I will say though I'm quite a bit bummed about the discrete graphics used in the update. Even the 335m can hardly play games on high settings with 30fps at 720p. So I'd imagine the 330m is a bit slower. Maybe medium at 720p. Complaints aside, I'm going to love going into system profiler and seeing that i7 there
  • Reply 57 of 366
    philotechphilotech Posts: 106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Wow. Just found this, and I'm very confused. http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/i...for-video-med/

The link seems to suggest that the integrated Intel HD graphic chips are worse than the Nvidia offering in the previous models? ? :s

Sure. It's still integrated Intel graphics which used to be and still is crap. nVidia 9400M was much better than Intel (good if you had one of the nVidia-only models), but still away off compared to discrete graphics.

But why should you care? If Intel is too slow, the discrete nVidia graphics kicks in, so so will never be slowed down by the Intel graphics.
  • Reply 58 of 366
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    • No eSATA

• No Express Card slot in the 15"

• No 1080p because 1050 lines sucks

• No BluRay, Intel IGP sucks worse than Nvidia IGP

• No 16:9 ratio

• No touchscreen (on a vertically mounted desktop display)

• 10% more cost for 5% more processing speed

And my personal favourite of the foolish complaints...

• No quad-core option (despite it using an old architecture and have a TDP 10 to 20W higher than the 35W cap used in the MBPs)

:rollseyes:
  • Reply 59 of 366
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Jobs mentioned the licensing fees were a "bag of hurt".

I LOVE my Blu-ray player. I keep it plugged into my HDTV. It even upsamples DVDs.

I could see using Blu-ray with my Mac for archival purposes. If I REALLY needed it, I'd buy an external. Unless the internal monitor, in my case a 15", doesn't support it, then what's the point?

I love my Blu-ray players too. However, I really wanted a BR drive in the new iMac.
  • Reply 60 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KBeat View Post

Apple has never been about building high-performance machines.

The battery life of these MBPs is astounding. For a lot of people, that is all that matters.

Raw computing power is a very small market. Most folks just want a nice looking, light machine that lasts a long time while doing word processing at the coffee shop.