Apple releases new MacBook Pros with Intel Core i7, i5 processors

Comments

• Reply 121 of 366
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

...and if they were going to go 'high resolution' why stop at 1050. give us true 1080 and then shock and delight folks with native support for playback of BR discs from an external in the next OS pointdate

Ahh, wishfull thinking. I think it truly would have been a shock and delight if they had surprised us with BR support. However, every update that goes by without BR introduction makes it that much less likely that it will ever happen.
  • Reply 122 of 366
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    These look to be exactly what I expected, except for the surprise screen options... I think Hi-res anti-glare is going to be a huge seller...

So now I face that dreaded decsion, do I buy one now, earlier than I really need but inline with what I planned for to replace my 2008 MBP, or wait 6 months in hopes they add USB 3? Being that currently most of my external drives are FW800, waiting is really about being able to buy USB3 extenal drives now which have a longer useful horizon that FW seems to... my favorite portable the Seagate FreeAgentGo Pro for Mac FW800 kit seems to of been discontinued, I'd have bought two more 500gb versions if a could have.
  • Reply 123 of 366
    ff11ff11 Posts: 5member
    On another note, if I am reading the graphs correctly, there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between i5 and i7. Am I missing something? Is the difference worth $200?
  • Reply 124 of 366
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocknerd View Post

They make killer pro machines and decent consumer machines, but are forgetting about the prosumer. Those of us who want more power but don't want a one piece desktop system or a powerful but very portable laptop.

It is currently unknown whether Apple will keep making killer pro machines at all. Doing so would be very different from everything they have done in the last 12 months or so.

"Good enough for the sweet spot in the market" is what they have stressed now for a long time.
  • Reply 125 of 366
    nomadnomad Posts: 11member
    Does anyone have numbers comparing a "possible" i3 to the c2d still used in the 13inchers? My guess woudl be, that there isn't that much performance gain (of none whatsoever) an no or just marginal lower wattage. I also stumbled over C2D being rebranded as i3s? Anyone got details information on that topic?
  • Reply 126 of 366
    warpwarp Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by X38 View Post

Still no touch screen?

no, you can touch the screen, just don't forget to wipe off the fingerprints :-)
  • Reply 127 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

And it is disappointing that there is no option on any of the laptops for quad core, they should have at least one machine that competes at the high end if they want to call these things 'pro".

That would require compromising on battery life.

Apple will never compromise on battery life. Especially for the "high end" consumer, who exists in numbers too small for a company like Apple.
  • Reply 128 of 366
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I was tempted by the 13" model but Core-i5 and a high res screen was just too tempting. 15" model coming my way.
  • Reply 129 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Both of these sections mention they are dual core, not quad.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/performance.html

Thanks for the link. Still, odd that there's no mention on the tech specs page, which would seem to be the first place to look for that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Battery life. You don't need a faster chip, but you need 10 hours between plug-ins.

Correction, YOU need 10 hours. You don't know what HE needs.

And that's why BTO options exist, not all consumers need the same thing.
  • Reply 130 of 366
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marik View Post

Wow. Just found this, and I'm very confused. http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/25/i...for-video-med/

The link seems to suggest that the integrated Intel HD graphic chips are worse than the Nvidia offering in the previous models? ? :s

Much much worse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

The chances that Apple adopts BluRay is slim to none. Look at the overall strategy and industry trajectory. Physical media is dead. Apple wants to build up the iTunes platform as a distribution hub.

Problem for Apple here is that when it comes to videos, the consumer is largely saying no. Apple wants a monopoly like they have in music players, but the consumers aren't interested in that.
  • Reply 131 of 366
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ff11 View Post

On another note, if I am reading the graphs correctly, there doesn't seem to be much of a performance difference between i5 and i7. Am I missing something? Is the difference worth $200?

Absolutely. Read the Apple Store spec sheet.

Hint: It is here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...CBOOKPRO-INDEX
  • Reply 132 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

I'm not questioning the "economics of information goods". What I am questioning is the quality of those information goods.

Convenience trumps quality. Every time.

This is America. Look at the coffee market for a good example. Or the take-out food industry. There are a million McDonalds for every fine restaurant. Or the prevalence of MP3s over SACDs.

Quality is a niche. Convenience is mass-market.
  • Reply 133 of 366
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

**insert obligatory Apple complaint here**

WTF?? No sparkly Unicorn? Wah...
  • Reply 134 of 366
    Does anyone know if these are already at the Apple Stores? I was planning on picking one up this morning. Can any east coasters verify if they have already been delivered to the stores?
  • Reply 135 of 366
    Quote:

"Good enough for the sweet spot in the market" is what they have stressed now for a long time.

If that's true, they're starting to sound like Bose. Their philosophy is to sell to the 60%-70% of the public who wants audio gear that's "good enough". That's the "sweet spot" in the market and I think Apple makes products that are better than just "good enough".
  • Reply 136 of 366
  • Reply 137 of 366
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Perhaps even more telling is that I had just preconfigured my ideal MPB 17 C2D two days ago in the event Apple did not provide the refresh.

Even with the same maximized options, the new model will be nearly $500 cheaper.
  • Reply 138 of 366
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Correction, YOU need 10 hours. You don't know what HE needs.

And that's why BTO options exist, not all consumers need the same thing.

I understand your point. I was unclear. What I should have said is that "Apple thinks you need 10 hours of battery life, and a nice form factor, and that you do not need any faster processor in a mobile device".

I was unclear. IMO, 6 or 7 hours is enough.
  • Reply 138 of 366
    Quote:

Convenience trumps quality. Every time.

This is America. Look at the coffee market for a good example. Or the take-out food industry. There are a million McDonalds for every fine restaurant. Or the prevalence of MP3s over SACDs.

Quality is a niche. Convenience is mass-market.

This is the unfortunate truth. We're always settling for less.
  • Reply 140 of 366
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by debusoh View Post

Weird, I was just configuring my 15" model and noticed there is no option to pre-install Bento.

You don't save any money with a pre install and when has Apple software ever been that hard to put on yourself.

and it's a pretty good program when your needs are light.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Apple really isn't a professional minded company anymore. Its for lifestyle consumers with money to burn.

Quote:

Easy to use, looks good, lightweight, long battery life.

Those are the important aspects, with geeky performance fantasies taking a back seat.

I don't know a single professional or geek that gets less than a 15 inch laptop for their serious machine. Half of the ones I know go for a 17 inch

so that the 13 inch is left for hobby folks, students etc isn't an issue for them. and probably isn't for most like them

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

Yeah because something basic like Blu-Ray, which EVERY OTHER MAJOR PC MANUFACTURER OFFERS is unobtainable "pixie dust" when it comes to Apple. If they ever do offer it I'm sure it will be described as "magical"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1984 View Post

He's full of it. Why is it not a "bag of hurt" for any other manufacturers?

Because they can spread out the licensing costs over thousands of units and not hundreds.

as for your magical, they will skip bluray and go to smaller better quality digital files on SD cards and then (when the size is small enough) direct downloads. that will be Apple's magic.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by q dude View Post

Sadly, however, digital copies available for download currently do not offer the audio/video quality of a blu-ray disc. Until parity is reached, I for one have no interest.

Most folks will agree. but the fault of that is not on Apple completely. Yes part of the issue is file size. but the bulk of it is simply that the studios don't want it. they are clinging to the old world of DVDs and Bluray to the point of changing contracts so places like Netflix can't rent even optical discs until at least a month after the sales start. They cling to the outdated tv ratings system and won't embrace ideas like itunes (in part cause they are too lazy to do the math to pass out the proper credits to each show) and so on

Until the studios join the revolution they will keep gimping digital downloads with no fewer features and lower quality to not hurt their precious discs