A closer look at new Photos, iPod, Folders features in iPhone OS 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Can the built-in apps be put in folders?

I would assume so if you can fill up the limit of spaces with folders, the built-in ones would have to be in a folder.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I wish they would let Iphone be more independent from syncing with desktop. I would like to see the ability to create picture albums and collect the photos as I see fit. Then when you do sync, it can mirror the changes back to the desktop if desired. Hell you can't even delete photos on the iPad. At least you can delete from the iPhone. I guess they enabled that feature since it has a camera.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Not sure, haven't actually downloaded the SDK.

I assume they can...otherwise my math falls apart.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    . . .
  • Reply 25 of 54
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish they would let Iphone be more independent from syncing with desktop. I would like to see the ability to create picture albums and collect the photos as I see fit. Then when you do sync, it can mirror the changes back to the desktop if desired. Hell you can't even delete photos on the iPad. At least you can delete from the iPhone. I guess they enabled that feature since it has a camera.

Actually you can only delete the photos in the camera roll, not the the stuff you sync from your photo library.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:

Anything and everything can be in folders. 1st party apps, 3rd-party apps, Settings app, Home Row apps (Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod) and Webclips. You can even put the folders in the Home Row.

PS: There is one caveat, though it's minor. You can't make folders of items in the Home Row, but you can pull them out of the Home Row into a folder or onto and item to create a folder, and then move that folder into the Home Row.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Anything and everything can be in folders. 1st party apps, 3rd-party apps, Settings app, Home Row apps (Phone, Mail, Safari, iPod) and Webclips. You can even put the folders in the Home Row.

PS: There is one caveat, though it's minor. You can't make folders of items in the Home Row, but you can pull them out of the Home Row into a folder or onto and item to create a folder, and then move that folder into the Home Row.

Are you on an NDA?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Are you on an NDA?

No, but you can preface everything I'll say about any Betas as "I heard a rumour that..."
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by longfang View Post

Actually you can only delete the photos in the camera roll, not the the stuff you sync from your photo library.

Thanks I did not know that since I don't have any pictures on the mac I sync with. You can save images from other sources like email and web and they can be deleted thankfully.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Only 12 apps per folder? Why the limitation? I need at least 30 or 40. That's how many apps my 3-year-old has on her screens. Be nice if they could all fit inside the "Ava" folder.

Based on Apple's UI Guidelines, I believe it is the objective to reduce scrolling, if not to eliminate it completely. Especially now with multitasking.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

I think the 170 is wrong. I think it is 180.

170 folders *12 apps = 2040

180 folders *12 apps = 2160, which is the stated number of total apps.

The 180 also makes sense because there are 11 screens

11 available screens * 16 folders per screen = 176

176 + 4 spots in the 'dock' = 180 folders in total

180 * 12 = 2160, again the number of allowed total apps.

170 just doesn't fit with the math.

As for why the limitation to 12 apps per folder, likely purely for aesthetics.

It seemed to be an error. That number just didn't add up, OR make sense. It's too bad they went with the 12 apps per, that was a waste of screen resource. They didn't have to show the folder and a line along with the apps inside it. It's also too bad because many people are going to have many more apps in one category than 12. Games, for instance, will need a number of folders. So we have different folders for different kinds of games, but after a few folders, that becomes clumsy as well. I still would have liked to see at least one more layer of folders. If one folder could hold 12 more inside, or better yet, 16, that would likely resolve the problem (for now).
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your post looks convincing.

Anyone what to test this?

You don't need the grin. There are enough free apps so that you can try it yourself.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

The math makes sense. And I agree with the limit being purely aesthetics - it also doesn't confuse the user by thinking they are on a different page when really they are in a folder. Having the first line on the screen showig you what folder you're in makes sense since there's no navigation bar like you would generally have when selectng sub-menus in an app.

I would think that one would know which folder one is in by the apps on the screen. Apple could also have simply put the name of the folder at the top of the screen. The type size they now use for the folders doesn't take up much space, and there's space on the bar above now.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    There are a couple of things I'd like to see changed/fixed in the iPod app:

1 - Scroll long file names. iPods have done this forever, but the iPhone OS never has and it drives me nuts. I have lots of podcasts with very long names, so I have no idea which is which as I can only see the first 3 or 4 words.

2 - Show podcast show notes. A simple centre click on an iPod brings these up, but not so on an iPhone. It will display lyrics, and some podcast providers now copy and paste the notes into the lyrics section to get around this bug. But come on Apple, just fix it already.

It would also be nice if the iPod app didn't crash so much. My poor, painfully sluggish, ready for retirement in a landfill iPhone 3G crashes in the iPod app 3 or 4 times a day. Annoying, yes.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Yeah any app can be put into a folder, no folders cannot be put in folders. Since syncing with iPhoto places crashes less frequently, it actually starts to load before crashing. Great feature, if you have your iphone synced with iPhoto 09, and you sync an album with facebook. When you tag people on facebook and resync that album the tags get brought into iPhoto and then onto your iPhone. Pretty neat.

Also iPod on there supports genius mix's now
  • Reply 36 of 54
    brendanbrendan Posts: 13member
    I wonder if apple will finally make a radio app for the ipods. Only the second and third gen idevices and the iPad, have the chip that could let them do it, and only the second and third gen idevices and the iPad are getting the update.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexisonfire View Post

Also iPod on there supports genius mix's now

Or mixes.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Next opportunity for Apple. Make downloadable apps available for OSX on Macs, not just iPhones/iPod touch's/iPads.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Next opportunity for Apple. Make downloadable apps available for OSX on Macs, not just iPhones/iPod touch's/iPads.

There are already lots of those. You want Apple to add a Mac section to the App Store?
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

After seeing what iPhone apps look like on the iPad I no longer think that is a good idea.