A closer look at new Photos, iPod, Folders features in iPhone OS 4

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

After seeing what iPhone apps look like on the iPad I no longer think that is a good idea.

I'm hoping he doesn't mean iPhone or iPad apps.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, he doesn't.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, he doesn't.

My bad. I'd like to see a Mac App Store, too, but you know that if they do announce that people will cry that Apple is going to lock down Mac OS like iPhone OS.

Note that running iPhone apps on your Mac has been a very common request since the App Store was first announced.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:

My bad. I'd like to see a Mac App Store, too, but you know that if they do announce that people will cry that Apple is going to lock down Mac OS like iPhone OS.

Note that running iPhone apps on your Mac has been a very common request since the App Store was first announced.

They are waiting for the next refresh, when they add multitouch screens to all the Macs
  • Reply 45 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new "Rotate Photo" feature will rotate an image 90 degrees counter clockwise when selected. People familiar with the pre-release iPhone OS 4 build said it does not offer an option of a direction to rotate.

Why wouldn't Apple just use the Twist gesture for this

The interface in screenshot seems painfully clunky. I noticed on my iPad that you can use the twist gesture on photos, but is will not save them. If you twist them past 180 degrees though they will do a full 360.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Why wouldn't Apple just use the Twist gesture for this

The interface in screenshot seems painfully clunky. I noticed on my iPad that you can use the twist gesture on photos, but is will not save them. If you twist them past 180 degrees though they will do a full 360.

First version.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:

First version.

My experience is that Apple would rather not implement a feature than implement it in a half-assed awkward way.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

No, but you can preface everything I'll say about any Betas as "I heard a rumour that..."

I heard a rumor that I don't much like the implementation of mutitasking. Furthermore I have been advised by said rumor not to let Skype run in the background or it will kill the battery The fact that you do need to manage it and it takes a lot more clicks to do so is not really an improvement except for a few Isolated circumstaces like listening to Internet radio.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I heard a rumor that I don't much like the implementation of mutitasking. Furthermore I have been advised by said rumor not to let Skype run in the background or it will kill the battery The fact that you do need to manage it and it takes a lot more clicks to do so is not really an improvement except for a few Isolated circumstaces like listening to Internet radio.

So far I'm not much of a fan of their implementation. I think the double-click will make it mess up and do a single-click. I heard a rumour that it works now but that it's just an app switcher that doesn't really save you any time. The APIs are great, through, and I'm sure Apple is smarter than me and thought this out more than I have so I'll have save final judgement until after my apps background-capable.

Speaking of internet radio. It was mentioned last week (I forget by whom) that Pandora does well to preserve battery life while running for hours over 3G. I had noticed this too and have been testing this. I don't have a way to capture the packets but whatever they are doing is pretty efficient.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

So far I'm not much of a fan of their implementation. I think the double-click will make it mess up and do a single-click. I heard a rumour that it works now but that it's just an app switcher that doesn't really save you any time. The APIs are great, through, and I'm sure Apple is smarter than me and thought this out more than I have so I'll have save final judgement until after my apps background-capable.

Speaking of internet radio. It was mentioned last week (I forget by whom) that Pandora does well to preserve battery life while running for hours over 3G. I had noticed this too and have been testing this. I don't have a way to capture the packets but whatever they are doing is pretty efficient.

I'd rather they used a 'flick upward' motion on the bottom of the home screen to go into multi-app mode, then side to side to choose the next open app.

Clicking twice on the home screen screws up the already understood action to go back to the home screen and activate the iPod controls. Bad decision, Apple peoples.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd rather they used a 'flick upward' motion on the bottom of the home screen to go into multi-app mode, then side to side to choose the next open app.

Clicking twice on the home screen screws up the already understood action to go back to the home screen and activate the iPod controls. Bad decision, Apple peoples.

That will work from the Home Screen and some apps, but iPhone OS apps already use flicking upwards for scrolling in apps. How would it know the difference?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

My experience is that Apple would rather not implement a feature than implement it in a half-assed awkward way.

Normally. Sometimes they think they've got it right, but they don't. That's software development for you.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:

This could be a first step. Next year, they'll likely expand on it.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

That will work from the Home Screen and some apps, but iPhone OS apps already use flicking upwards for scrolling in apps. How would it know the difference?

Hmm... good point. Maybe a three finger upward swipe, which would be uncommon otherwise, or a three finger rotation to the left or right (like turning a doorknob)?