Evidence of possible Apple-branded car kit found in iPhone OS 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Apple should do MUCH more with the physical aspects of the iPhone. They are touted as seamlessly integrating hardware and software, and yet the iPhone is missing LOTS of such integration.

Take the Nexus One, for example. Plug it into the car dock, and it turns into a GPS system. Plug it into the bedside dock, and it turns into a bedside companion with alarm clock, radio, etc.

Why is Apple leaving iPhone users in the dust? The 30 pin connector has a lot of capabilities, and is not being used to the benefit of Apple owners.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Apple should do MUCH more with the physical aspects of the iPhone. They are touted as seamlessly integrating hardware and software, and yet the iPhone is missing LOTS of such integration.

Take the Nexus One, for example. Plug it into the car dock, and it turns into a GPS system. Plug it into the bedside dock, and it turns into a bedside companion with alarm clock, radio, etc.

Why is Apple leaving iPhone users in the dust? The 30 pin connector has a lot of capabilities, and is not being used to the benefit of Apple owners.

The iPhone places just behind a baby and a puppy as a 'chick magnet'

Try that with your Nexus One.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

The Nexus One has a lot of great strenghts (IMO, the best being the alert system and customization of the home screen). I feel like Apple has been cautious and a bit slow and DOES have some ground to make up at this point... I'm psyched about the 4.0 addtions and feel like their moving in the right direction... I would actually NOT list your points as particular strenghts... It's funny... Being thought of as so "open" I actually dislike the idea of these docs that force your phone into a particular mode. Often in my car I open the iPod first to select a playlist before the GPS...Personally I like the control. On an iPhone you can get a GPS app, you can get desk clock app as well....I don't see the Nexus One having any advantage here.

The real threat in what you mentioned is actually the software....the GPS Navigator that Google is simply giving away for free... I would be very nervous if I were a stock holder in Tomtom or Garmin.....so much for "Don't be evil". SJ was right about Google....

I actually feel like the 30 pin connector is something that slowed Apple down (USB is so much more widespread). What I'm most excited about in 4.0 is how Bluetooth is opening up.... They're now allowing external, fullsize keyboards to link with the phone....I'm never using my laptop again!
  • Reply 24 of 27
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swinge View Post

The real threat in what you mentioned is actually the software....the GPS Navigator that Google is simply giving away for free... I would be very nervous if I were a stock holder in Tomtom or Garmin.....so much for "Don't be evil". SB was right about Google....

I actually feel like the 30 pin connector is something that slowed Apple down (USB is so much more widespread). What I'm most excited about in 4.0 is how Bluetooth is opening up.... They're now allowing external, fullsize keyboards to link with the phone....I'm never using my laptop again!

The 30 pin connector is fine as USB - the adapter comes free with the phone.

I agree, though, that the software included with the Nexus One is a significant advantage for Android.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    I'm confused by the significance of this. My Ford has a USB port. I plug in my iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 and the car takes control of the iPod functionality. Bluetooth handles the Phone functionality.

Ok, admittedly I either rely on the Bluetooth Audio or a mini-jack cable to input the audio. So perhaps this is about audio output via USB.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I'm just looking at car kits now. For me the challenge is that I really need two docks, or some kind of smart pass-through.

Car kits made for a specific car allow the iPhone to connect to the car's head unit's CD changer port. This allows full control of the iPhone's iPod through the console and steering wheel, including selecting playlists and seeing track names on the car's console. They also take the superior digital audio signal. All very nice, via the iPhone's dock.

Then you have a car kit like the TomTom one, which uses the dock itself and expects you to connect the audio via the headphone socket - losing all that nice synergy with the car's native systems.

I want both. Perhaps for the Apple car kit to replicate the dock which can then talk to the car-specific car kit.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    What if it's a car kit for the iPad ???!!!