New MacBook Pros off to strong start, 13-inch model selling out

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Demand for Apple's newly upgraded line of MacBook Pro notebooks was strong on the first day, with scattered reports of the low-end 13-inch model selling out in some retail locations. Also, Apple has already issued a software update for the 15- and 17-inch models.

Analyst Maynard Um with UBS Investment research said checks with various Apple stores indicated that the Mac maker is sold out of the new 13-inch MacBook Pro model, introduced Tuesday. The Core 2 Duo-equipped machine has the Nvidia GeForce 320M, a graphics processor created especially for Apple's new low-end MacBook Pro machine.

"Apple should benefit from the refresh," Um said of Tuesday's upgrades, " as it positions it for share gains heading into the education spending & back to school season, & we see (continued) Mac momentum as a key driver of upside to (estimates)."

The 13-inch MacBook Pro is available in two configurations: one with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 250GB hard drive priced at $1,199; and one with a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 320GB hard drive priced at $1,499. It has graphics 80 percent faster than its predecessor, and offers an Apple-estimated 10 hours of battery life.

Um said he has also found that some stores are out of stock of iPads, supporting the announcement made earlier Wednesday by Apple, that a hardware shortage would delay the device's international launch until late May. The analyst said this news means it is likely his estimate of 1.2 million iPads sold in the June quarter will likely prove conservative, depending on manufacturing constraints.

"Longer term, we maintain our view that Apple is working on a foundation for a service to provide seamless access/mobility of content across its products," he wrote. "We envision a service that allows access to media-focused content of iTunes, user generated content of MobileMe & social networking integration from any Apple product. We believe this will be the service that will be the draw (halo) that drives additional sales."

Supporting Um's findings of constrained notebook supplies, AppleInsider's checks with authorized resellers has found that while the high-end 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro models are in stock, none have the 13-inch model available, and stock of the low-end 15-inch MacBook Pro is limited. Pricing and availability can be found in the Mac Pricing Guide, included below:

Apple this week already issued the first software update for its just-released mid-2010 MacBook Pro models. The update applies to those who bought the new 15- and 17-inch models, and contains improvements for graphics stability for high-performance video and gaming applications. It also includes various bug fixes, according to Apple. The 258.32MB download, entitled "MacBook Pro Software Update 1.3," is available for download direct from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Hmmm?

Should one take this to mean that there's less interest in the Core 2010 versions?

One would have reasoned that the i5/i7 versions would have been the more desirable ones...
  • Reply 2 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Macs always do well.

The critics know nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 85
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hmmm?

Should one take this to mean that there's less interest in the Core 2010 versions?

One would have reasoned that the i5/i7 versions would have been the more desirable ones...

This was nothing really different from what every other notebook maker does every few months.

The only thing notable about it is that Apple does it infrequently. And the hardware is falling further behind the competition.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    Quote:

Hmmm?

As with all higher end MBP's its the price that isn desirable. People will pay 1200.00 for a notebook but for a 17" with a core i7 to pay 3000.00 with Applecare is insane.
  • Reply 5 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As with all higher end MBP's its the price that isn desirable. People will pay 1200.00 for a notebook but for a 17" with a core i7 to pay 3000.00 with Applecare is insane.

I just paid 3.8k for the 15" without applecare :]
  • Reply 6 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

This was nothing really different from what every other notebook maker does every few months.

The only thing notable about it is that Apple does it infrequently. And the hardware is falling further behind the competition.

Dell just refreshed the Business Latitude line. It got some media mentions, but it really is no big deal:

"Dell Latitude E-Family Refresh

Dell this week launched new enhancements to its Latitude line of business notebooks. The PCs include the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, fast DDR3 memory, HD displays and new colors. Dell also has bolstered data protection, asset monitoring and remote management to complement the new PCs."

The sort of refresh Apple did usually happens when the new tech is available, rather than months later. And the prices of the newer, better machines usually goes down, rather than up.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

If you're buying a 17-inch Core i7 with Applecare, chances are its for your own business or your employer's picking up some or most of the cost.

The 17-inch model is for those who spend hours a day working with media applications such as Apple's Pro apps or the Adobe's CS, in order to make money.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

compare the price with the HP Envy. the HP has better graphics, but once you add in the extra battery it's the same price or maybe a bit less than Apple. and who would you trust with that much money if you need support? going to the genius bar and speaking English to someone? or calling 5000 miles away and fighting the battle of the script for 2 hours after being on hold for another 2 hours?

i just had my 3GS exchanged and it took me 20 minutes in the Apple store including the wait time
  • Reply 9 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatfred View Post

I just paid 3.8k for the 15" without applecare :]

You could have spend $3899.00.

What did you leave out?
  • Reply 10 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The 17-inch model is for those who spend hours a day working with media applications such as Apple's Pro apps or the Adobe's CS, in order to make money.

The hardware is fairly low-end for media professionals.
  • Reply 11 of 85
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    My 15" high res w/ 500GB 7200 RPM didn't ship yet?

I ordered it a few hours after announcement? I really hope I get it by this weekend for a conference.
  • Reply 12 of 85
    Has anyone seen a hands on review of the new 2.4gig 13 incher? I'm wondering how significant the perf boost is compared to the old one?
  • Reply 13 of 85
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    At my company, we ordered 2 of the i7 15inch.

Nice machine.

Might upgrade them later with some Intel SSDs.. :

We develop for Microsoft, but everyone uses Apple.

Can't beat that hardware.
  • Reply 14 of 85
    Dell is one of the worst brand out there
  • Reply 15 of 85
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

the only difference between nvidia's consumer geforce chips and the "pro" quadro chips is the name, driver and the price
  • Reply 16 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    You can't beat the quality of Apple computers. They last a long time and can upgrade to a new OS several times. I have the 2007 highest version 15" MBP with LED back lit which is now running SL. It is still going strong and does everything I need which is a bit of a bummer because I can't rationally justify buying a new one. At least I have express card which I do use for 3G.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why oh why, don't these stupid Mac users, especially media professionals, listen to technical experts, like Josh.B. He knows everything about Macs and PCs.

Macs low-end, PCs high-end. It is all that matters and all you need to know -- the PC buyer's guide according to Josh B.

CGC
  • Reply 18 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Hmmm?

Wait just one darn minute. Mac sites are reporting that Steve Jobs is personally defending the Core 2 Duo choice for the 13". The geek squads are apoplectic over the 13". Forums are full of 13" death knells and epic fail comments.

So how is it possible that the 13" is selling out? I think I know the answer.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    Apparently the Macbook Pro listed for $1687.79 on MacMall's site at this link: http://www.macmall.com/p/product~dpn...PINSDRMWB24900 and in the table provided in the article is a typo?
  • Reply 20 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It has its place. Some people like the potability for freelancing and working from home. I agree that it is not as powerful as a Mac Pro, which I use all day long. I don't like working hours on end on a MBP. The angle and position of the screen is not that ergonomic. Also the keyboard is not as easy for functions and numeric input.