iPad shortage forces Apple to delay international launch until May

Comments

• Reply 81 of 131
    clixclix Posts: 10member
    If your ready to pay a 200$ premium, for those who can't wait. There's always ebay.
  • Reply 82 of 131
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

I wish the AppleInsider report hewed a little more closely to what Apple's announcement actually said. Apple did not say it "sold" 500,000 iPads, it said it "delivered" that number of devices. Apple always words its public statements very carefully so I think the use of the word "delivered" was not casual but a clear and conscious choice, especially because less than a week ago at the iPhone 4.0 preview, Jobs said Apple had "sold" over 450,000 units. There is a switch in language. Somehow, AppleInsider and most of the other sites reporting this story this morning have transformed "delivered" into "sold." They're not synonyms.

I don't doubt that those "delivered" iPads will in fact be sold into people's hands very quickly. I think the iPad is already a big success; I bought one on the first day. But I think for journalism's sake, it's important to point out the distinction that Apple itself is making between something "delivered" and something "sold."

They don't mean delivered to stores. They are talking about delivered to actual customers. They are using this language to differentiate between fulfilled and unfulfilled pre-orders. They are not referring to stocking stores. They don't want to count pre-sales because they can be canceled without penalty and counting those customers says nothing about the supply chain.
  • Reply 83 of 131
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by clix View Post

If your ready to pay a 200$ premium, for those who can't wait. There's always ebay.

Or a vacation to the States. The weather in Chicago is unseasonable good right now. It is supposed to hit 80 today.
  • Reply 84 of 131
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

That's Natick.

Did you check out the flagship store on Boylton Street in Boston? Architecturally, it is an eyesore, but it is the biggest in the Boston area.

Thanks for the heads up. After a week in Oakham, I had a hard time pronouncing Worcester, let alone spell it.

Boston? Been there and a couple of dozen stores from London to Beijing to my wife's chagrin.

Make that three dozen. And more to soon come.
  • Reply 85 of 131
    ddarkoddarko Posts: 22member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They don't mean delivered to stores. They are talking about delivered to actual customers. They are using this language to differentiate between fulfilled and unfulfilled pre-orders. They are not referring to stocking stores. They don't want to count pre-sales because they can be canceled without penalty and counting those customers says nothing about the supply chain.

I agree that Apple - or anyone else for that matter - doesn't count pre-orders as "sold" since as you say, those pre-orders can be canceled and Apple won't even charge customers for the pre-orders until they ship. But since it's clearly industry practice that pre-orders don't count as sold, then why did Apple go out of its way to use the word "delivered" instead of "sold"? Why didn't it just use the word "sold" to mean "delivered to actual customers" since it's understood that "sold" doesn't include pre-orders?

It seems to me the use of the word "delivered" is more ambiguous than your explanation. I don't think it's clear at all that "delivered" mean "delivered to actual customers." I think it could very well encompass "delivered to Best Buy stores and other independent retailers but not yet sold by those third party retailers into customers hands." I don't know. But I do think this uncertainty as to what "delivered" means suggests that reporting on this story should have included a short discussion of what exactly Apple is saying instead of just assuming that delivered=sold. I don't think that assumption is obviously correct. As I said, I think this is fairly minor quibble of mine but I do think it's a valid one.
  • Reply 86 of 131
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

The iPad features/specs should be no different as are Apple's Macs.

The iPad is not restricted to one operator.

More operators does not equal lower plan costs. We have 4 in Canada and nothing changed.

By the way, what is the roaming/long distance charges between the UK and Malta? As you can see in the attachment*, there is none from Maine to California.

*http://goeurope.about.com/od/europea...arison-map.htm

No Poland, Finland etc in the 'Europe Map'. Americans ...

Usual roaming charges apply each time you cross any country in Europe, but the charges have now been unified, more or less, after the European Parliament's intervention a few years ago. For instance, O2 (a Spanish-owned UK-based operator) charges me 35 pence per minute for each call I make and 18 pence for any call received while I'm roaming in another EU country. Text is 11 p to send and free to receive.

Someone who travels frequently (as I do) can have a bundled option (which costs 5 GBP per month) on top of my 45 GBP contract with O2, as a result of which I pay nothing for receiving calls and texting when roaming, and pay a minimum fee (8 pence) for making a call. All in all, the roaming costs in Europe have dropped significantly over the years.

All this applies to the EU of course. Once I go to Russia or even Croatia, the roaming prices are again exorbitant ...
  • Reply 87 of 131
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Thanks for the heads up. After a week in Oakham, I had a hard time pronouncing Worcester, let alone spell it.

Boston? Been there and a couple of dozen stores from London to Beijing to my wife's chagrin.

Make that three dozen. And more to soon come.

The locals pronounce it Wist'a. Or Woost'ah.

Or something like that
  • Reply 88 of 131
    I have no information about supply issues, but there does seem an unresolved wireless power approval issue, at least as reported for Israel.
  • Reply 89 of 131
    The delay is no problem for me in Australia. I see iPad as a desirable luxury which won't be fully functional (i.e. iBooks availability, most sites still using Flash, etc) for some time anyway. Also, alternatives are coming and more news will probably surface about those before the international iPad release.

The U.S. market knew the price the day Steve Jobs did the Key Note, but outside the U.S.A. we're still in the dark as to what we'll be paying.

A delay is one thing, but international pricing announcements are another. I'm probably going to buy an iPad but it's a bit rude that on the 15th of April Apple have not yet announced a price in Australia.
  • Reply 90 of 131
    Gives me a little extra time to save up some more moola! (I'm planning on getting an iPad as well as a new MacPro)
  • Reply 91 of 131
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    fuck!
  • Reply 92 of 131
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Now I far less silly for having driven down to Walden Galleria in Buffalo from the Waterloo area the night before launch and picking my 64GB iPad up the morning they launched in the US. Smug? Yes, perhaps a bit. Happy with my iPad? Hell, yeah!

Must mention this to my wife at lunch and gloat just a bit more.

You must really enjoy sleeping on the couch!
  • Reply 93 of 131
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Trust me. Pronounce it "Wustah" and you'll fit in like a native.
  • Reply 94 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

That's Natick.

Did you check out the flagship store on Boylton Street in Boston? Architecturally, it is an eyesore, but it is the biggest in the Boston area.

That's Boylston.
  • Reply 95 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Trust me. Pronounce it "Wustah" and you'll fit in like a native.

It all depends on which side of Wustah you were brought up in. Trust me.

Or whether you were brought up at all. Trust me.
  • Reply 96 of 131
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    A couple observations:

1. At least no one can accuse Apple of "stuffing" the channel.

2. iPads are like a tub of hot, freshly popped popcorn at the movies. You don't want a candy bar or cotton candy or a giant pretzel - nothing else will do. You'll just have to stand in line until the next batch is popped.

3. Some of those waiting in line for awhile are showing obvious signs of saturating their disposable diapers. Anyone willing to hold their places for them temporarily while they go change?
  • Reply 97 of 131
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Any canadian have declare an ipad to the customs? I want to know whats the duty on them, if any

any good made in US/Mexico can be imported without duty in Canada but if the iPad is like the iphone with a label "Designed by Apple in California, Assembled in China", I have no idea how the canadian customs will consider it.
  • Reply 98 of 131
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Brilliant move.

Declaring unprecedented demand . . . in order to help drive up demand.

Apple's goodies sell themselves, I know, but this is smart.

They only copied Nintendo (who followed what's in the book).
  • Reply 99 of 131
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The worst bit is that when it does get released we know we will have to pay more for it too, late and more expensive the Apple international way!

We do the same thing to the Americans with our footballers!
  • Reply 100 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

No Poland, Finland etc in the 'Europe Map'. Americans ...

Usual roaming charges apply each time you cross any country in Europe, but the charges have now been unified, more or less, after the European Parliament's intervention a few years ago. For instance, O2 (a Spanish-owned UK-based operator) charges me 35 pence per minute for each call I make and 18 pence for any call received while I'm roaming in another EU country. Text is 11 p to send and free to receive.

Someone who travels frequently (as I do) can have a bundled option (which costs 5 GBP per month) on top of my 45 GBP contract with O2, as a result of which I pay nothing for receiving calls and texting when roaming, and pay a minimum fee (8 pence) for making a call. All in all, the roaming costs in Europe have dropped significantly over the years.

All this applies to the EU of course. Once I go to Russia or even Croatia, the roaming prices are again exorbitant ...

Yow. My mistake. I took the title of the link literally without reading the text. Missed Eastern Europe entirely.

My profound apologies to anyone I may have offended. And I profess to be a student of world affairs. Obviously a blind one at that. And an elder Canadian to boot. Eh.