New MacBook Pros off to strong start, 13-inch model selling out

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    josh.b.josh.b. Posts: 353member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Dell is one of the worst brand out there

Why do you say that? Do you have any basis for what you stated?
  • Reply 22 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

the only difference between nvidia's consumer geforce chips and the "pro" quadro chips is the name, driver and the price

I was thinking of the mid-range CPU. I know less about the GPU.

Is the GPU and the memory for it in the 17" MBP a high-end solution? I heard it was a disappointment, but I'm no expert.

Please tell me all about the high-end graphics built into the MBP.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202;1612689

Macs low-end, PCs high-end. It is all that matters and all you need to know -- [B

the PC buyer's guide according to Josh B.[/B]

CGC

No need to be nasty.

Do you maintain that the 17" MBP constitutes high-end hardware?
  • Reply 24 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

So how is it possible that the 13" is selling out? I think I know the answer.

Production is less than demand. Apple misunderestimated demand.

That's not so hard.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh.B. View Post

Apple misunderestimated demand.

Another hilarious GWB-ism.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

I was thinking of the mid-range CPU. I know less about the GPU.

Is the GPU and the memory for it in the 17" MBP a high-end solution? I heard it was a disappointment, but I'm no expert.

Please tell me all about the high-end graphics built into the MBP.

in the big picture it's a mid to low range

with nvidia the way they do it is the same as intel. the best GPU's get labeled as the most expensive model. those with manufacturing errors get circuits disabled and labeled as lower end products
  • Reply 27 of 85
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgc0202;1612689

Macs low-end, PCs high-end. It is all that matters and all you need to know --

the PC buyer's guide according to Josh B.

CGC

No need to be nasty.

Do you maintain that the 17" MBP constitutes high-end hardware?

Already answered indirectly by an insane Mac owner, in response to another:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatfred View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As with all higher end MBP's its the price that isn desirable. People will pay 1200.00 for a notebook but for a 17" with a core i7 to pay 3000.00 with Applecare is insane.

I just paid 3.8k for the 15" without applecare :]

But obviously, you did not get the nuance in the response***. Thus, my retort. Shall I explain what was implied in the aforementioned statement from an insane Mac owner? Better still, I will let others clafiry the point.

"The Zune is considered by some as high end, relative to the iPod."

CGC

Quote:

You could have spend $3899.00.

What did you leave out?

• Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fatfred View Post

I just paid 3.8k for the 15" without applecare :]

I am sure you got a sweet machine for that - did you get the solid state drive?

Does the "fat" in fatfred refer to the size of your wallet?

I am going to get a 15, hopefully this weekend, but will probably end up paying around $2k for it. I just can't justify spending more (on my income). I think it would be really sweet to have a solid state disk.

Note: this post intended to be humorous, no offense intended...
  • Reply 29 of 85
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Why oh why, don't these stupid Mac users, especially media professionals, listen to technical experts, like Josh.B. He knows everything about Macs and PCs.

Macs low-end, PCs high-end. It is all that matters and all you need to know -- the PC buyer's guide according to Josh B.

CGC

It's more like a passage from the book of Teckstud. Sad that he spends all his time trolling on AI instead of doing something with his life.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Aren't you satisfied with your previous macbook(mac pro, mini, i)? Most probably you love it. So why you bitch about apple not including the top of the line hardware in the new range? Do you think apple went wrong? Most likely not.

P.S. Imagine the price, the weight and no battery life if the top hardware was included

P.P.S. And if you aren't satisfied with your mac leave the mac forum and buy yourself a nice PC.
  • Reply 31 of 85
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Why do you say that? Do you have any basis for what you stated?

Sure he does, Josh. It's called a personal opinion. You seem as if this is surprising to you. And that is surprising in itself; given that everything you post is simply YOUR own opinion. The funny thing is; why you think anybody cares about yours?

My opinion?... You are actually a troll. Just my opinion.
  • Reply 32 of 85
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Production is less than demand. Apple misunderestimated demand.

That's not so hard.

Is "misunderestimated" even a word? Not according to Dictionary.com.

Anyways, according to critics like yourself, supply should be quite adequate since nobody in their right mind would buy a 13" given the pitiful specs and lack of an i5.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Dell just refreshed the Business Latitude line. It got some media mentions, but it really is no big deal:

"Dell Latitude E-Family Refresh

Dell this week launched new enhancements to its Latitude line of business notebooks. The PCs include the latest Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors, fast DDR3 memory, HD displays and new colors. Dell also has bolstered data protection, asset monitoring and remote management to complement the new PCs."

The sort of refresh Apple did usually happens when the new tech is available, rather than months later. And the prices of the newer, better machines usually goes down, rather than up.

When are the mods going to DO THEIR JOB and get rid of this guy? I got news for you, JB, if you think you're being clever by posting a "thinly veiled commercial" about a competitor on an Apple fansite and trying to disguise it by saying it's no big deal ... you're wrong. But there are two things that I don't understand: .... One, How low can a competitor go when they have to have people like you populate an Apple fansite to bash Apple (shouldn't they just try making better products?) ... and two: How can the mods not see this person for what he is ..... or do they just don't give a damn?
  • Reply 34 of 85
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    Nearly purchased a 13" Macbook Pro 2.5xGHz model last week, held back on the rumours that updated machines were being introduced and decided to go with the 2.66GHz model. None of the several Apple Stores I spoke to had received this model, and don't expect any before the weekend.

Does this mean that the 2.66 is popular and being offered to US customers first (as with the iPad)?

OR

Maybe Apple itself just hasn't taken delivery of these yet?

It is possible that Apple is sending the new 13" models out to those who ordered last week?
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Oh heck...... looks like trolls have hijacked an AI thread again.... bye...
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Another hilarious GWB-ism.

He's got scads of them. Likely he's unmatched by anybody except, maybe, Dan Quayle.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

in the big picture it's a mid to low range

with nvidia the way they do it is the same as intel. the best GPU's get labeled as the most expensive model. those with manufacturing errors get circuits disabled and labeled as lower end products

I wasn't aware of that.

I've never had a need for high-end graphics, so I've always investigated last-year's-best, and have never really followed the industry closely.

I expected cool stuff when AMD bought ATI, but nothing much has caught my attention even there.

If the MBP is made for use by graphics pros, what explains Apple's choice of graphics hardware?
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

Already answered indirectly by an insane Mac owner, in response to another:

But obviously, you did not get the nuance in the response***. Thus, my retort. Shall I explain what was implied in the aforementioned statement from an insane Mac owner? Better still, I will let others clafiry the point.

"The Zune is considered by some as high end, relative to the iPod."

CGC

That's quite a rant. Most of it was not illuminating, however. Why not just say whatever the heck is on your mind? I don't' follow your points.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Aren't you satisfied with your previous macbook(mac pro, mini, i)? Most probably you love it. So why you bitch about apple not including the top of the line hardware in the new range? Do you think apple went wrong? Most likely not.

P.S. Imagine the price, the weight and no battery life if the top hardware was included

P.P.S. And if you aren't satisfied with your mac leave the mac forum and buy yourself a nice PC.

Apple produces rugged, lightweight laptops that last for hours and hours, while looking extremely sexy and performing very well for the types of tasks done by "average Joes".

Everything else, including both performance and price, is subordinate. And tApple is very successful at it.

You can substitute "tablet computer" in the first paragraph and it is still true. Substitute "cellphone" and except for exceptional battery life, the sentence is still true.

Their mobile computer offerings are entirely in line with their other mobile device lines.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Sure he does, Josh. It's called a personal opinion.

Yes, precisely. I asked him for the basis for his opinion. Thanks.