Apple fixes 27-inch iMac glitches, issues Mac OS X security updates

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Hmm well my iMac i7 quad core seems to run perfectly... I was under the impression everything was fixed?
  • Reply 22 of 52
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

Will this update make the screen matte....

Bit of 4 ot (0000) steel wool will buff that right out.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    And all this time I thought updates and patches and security problems were Windows problems. I guess its a myth that Apple products don't have these problems is not true. I will go back to my Commodore 128.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    I purchased a refurbished Quad Core 27" iMac last month direct from Apple and is the best Mac I have used yet. No issues whatsoever. Saved $350 purchasing refurbished to boot.

Whats interesting is that I have a 23" cinema display connected to a core 2 duo Mac Mini. The Mac Mini + cinema display (on full brightness) uses approximately same energy/watts as the 27" iMac on half brightness (which looks to me to give about same brightness as 23").
  • Reply 25 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

His location states Vancouver and googling the store shows London Drugs is a Canadian store. Looks like a Target or Walmart type store.

Maybe it's a Psystar?
  • Reply 26 of 52
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

I'm not trolling. But if any of you had to spend over an hour fighting traffic, there, back, there, back, there, back, there, back... and now you have to go there again and back 1 more time... I'm sure every one of you would be at my level of frustration.

One note of interest when I was talking to the Apple Tech. The custom ordered Mac's are put together in the USA... all the rest come from China.

Trolling or not, but I'm deeply offended by your repeated degrading words about China. If you are not happy about Macs then go buy yourself a Dell, or maybe even a Sony. Chances are those will be manufactured in China too.

Or maybe you should build your own 27" all-in-one computer, but guess what, most of the components were made in the Asia area as well. I guess you should divert your anger into making you own components, you will get further than trolling here on Mac forums.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

His location states Vancouver and googling the store shows London Drugs is a Canadian store. Looks like a Target or Walmart type store.

They are the last place I'd buy a computer of any kind from... I bet every iMac returned there was boxed up to be sold to somebody else instead of returned to Apple (shipping costs $$); in fact you are probably going through other people's rejects. I know that's how they handled a camera I returned there years ago...
  • Reply 28 of 52
    you all need to shut your fat, fat mouths
  • Reply 29 of 52
    qualarqualar Posts: 72member
    The problems on the iMac I definitely not a small percentage. I had 3 iMac 27" all had a yellow tinge, eventually gave up and got a refund. If the problem was small what are the odds of getting 3 in a row bad and I am not alone, forum threads about the issue are up in the thousands. People who are saying they I have received a perfect screen I would almost guarantee if they did the test they would find some yellow tinge.

I am so disappointed I need a desktop and currently I have to just wait and see what the next update brings.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

I'm not trolling. But if any of you had to spend over an hour fighting traffic, there, back, there, back, there, back, there, back... and now you have to go there again and back 1 more time... I'm sure every one of you would be at my level of frustration.

Apple also said they fixed the glitches in February, then again in March, and now again in April.

New 27" iMac's =

One note of interest when I was talking to the Apple Tech. The custom ordered Mac's are put together in the USA... all the rest come from China.

I ordered a custom built 2 TB core i5 iMac on Black Friday. I watched its itinerary from Shanghai, China up to my door last December:

Location \t Date \t Local Time Description

LOUISVILLE, KY, US\t 15/12/2009 \t15:43 \t DEPARTURE SCAN

LOUISVILLE, KY, US\t 13/12/2009 \t7:47 ARRIVAL SCAN

ANCHORAGE, AK, US 12/12/2009 \t17:54 DEPARTURE SCAN

ANCHORAGE, AK, US \t11/12/2009 \t11:19 \t ARRIVAL SCAN

NARITA, JP \t 11/12/2009 \t21:59 \t DEPARTURE SCAN

\t 11/12/2009 \t19:47 \t ARRIVAL SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN \t 11/12/2009 \t17:20 \t DEPARTURE SCAN

\t 11/12/2009 \t16:30 \t DEPARTURE SCAN

SHANGHAI, CN \t 10/12/2009 \t23:46 \t EXPORT SCAN

\t 10/12/2009 \t11:58 \t ORIGIN SCAN

CN \t 10/12/2009 \t23:18 \t BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 15/12/2009 16:43 ET

Thankfully, I have no problem to report. But I do understand your frustration and would share it if I had gone through the same ordeal. But everything is O.K. Better luck in the future. It's my belief that the whole shipment of your first 4 iMacs was dropped during transportation, hence the DOA you report. Try the web AppleStore as I did. Better luck next time.

\\\
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Having read stories on this site for a few months, and seen the criticism of Rain's post I had to join and post a reply.

In my opinion he is largely correct about the shocking build quality of 27 inch iMacs coming out of China.

I have had 3 iMac 27s all of them with different problems. The latest one was a custom i7 sent to me by Apple Exec Relations after emailing Steve Jobs out of desperation.

I have just received my brand new week 13 27 inch i7, and it again has multiple issues: 1) Yellow tinted screen; 2) grey band running across the bottom of the screen; 3) DVD drive scratches disks beyond point of repair; 4) Terrible backlight bleed from bottom right hand corner of the screen; 5) Hard drive makes many clicking noises (it's a Seagate).

What is laughable is that as the i7 was an advanced replacement I was able to compare the iMacs side by side. The two screens were so different in native colour consistency it is a joke. One is very blue but with a yellow stripe down the middle, the other is yellow all across the bottom but with a much better overall neutral grey. But they are so DIFFERENT it could be a different screen entirely I wish you could see at first hand because it is so obvious! If each screen is so different it really begs the question how this can be the ultimate display and it is certainly useless for professional photography uses.

This is really not acceptable considering the problems are supposed to have been fixed.

I would urge anyone not to order a new 27 inch iMac if you are a perfectionist and want everything to be just so. If you can live with poor colour consistency and potentially other niggles, then go ahead.

After just one replacement Apple Exec Relations are not prepared to send me another computer, they are only offering a refund. I think this speaks volumes about the quality control as they clearly know that most of the new iMacs rolling off the production line are going to suffer these issues. Your average consumer may not notice their screen is duff but anyone into photography or video will.

I KNOW that this issue exists and is not just exaggeration as I visited the Apple Bristol store last night and they had a week 10 i7 on display which i carefully scrutised and tested, and it DID NOT have the problems described. (It had a faint grey band again but the yellow was virtually non-existant - I say virtually because under store lighting it is very hard to tell 100% but it looked much much better than my i7).

This is a REAL problem folks and I say this as an Apple lover who has practically all other products e.g. iphone, Macbook etc etc.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Bit of 4 ot (0000) steel wool will buff that right out.

Made me laugh. Thanks...
  • Reply 33 of 52
    caljomaccaljomac Posts: 122member
    Well I got a bad iMac....it kept scratching all the discs but i just went to the apple store (day after launch in newcastle) and they fixed it. To be honest, whatever you buy will have had problems at some stage, but apple are THE best for sorting them out soon. So moan all you want, but you're still getting a better experience than buying an ordinary desktop (or building one yourself)
  • Reply 34 of 52
    I had to reply too, I'm sorry if this post might be a bit off topic but replying to people above with quality control, they are very right. I know, peoples comments here aren't going to make a difference but some people defending Apple and saying they are in the minority I feel are wrong. Over the years, I've had to replace quite a few parts in my computers, not a problem, I kind of enjoy that kind of thing, where most of the parts were damaged because of flex cable getting trapped and the computer overheating too.

But my biggest problem is Apples quality over their displays, I've been unlucky to have problems with all of my display that I've had with my computers, luckily I don't depend on the precision of their output but have found I am not the only one, problems with colour and brightness banding across the screens, which in the computer models I've had are basically a problem in all of them, not just select computers, so returning them would make no difference. Considering the quality and the amount of money you pay for them, you would expect quality control to be an important thing with their displays.

I'm not a troll and sorry for the off topic, I love my Apple computers and wouldn't want anything else, I'm just trying to justify that some people aren't a troll for having frustrations with some Apple products because some of them, you just can't fix by returning, when the quality of some components are just bad in all of them.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    techtech Posts: 1member
    Back to the original topic:

Has anyone encountered any problems with the above updates -- or has anyone actually seen a problem resolved?

(If you need to rant about a different topic, please get your own thread!)
  • Reply 36 of 52
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My suggestion, take your money else where. I built a really nice desktop, and bought a netbook for the road with some cash left over from my MBP purchace. I've NEVER regretted my decision.

Have the the two converted int Hackintoshes?
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My suggestion, take your money else where. I built a really nice desktop, and bought a netbook for the road with some cash left over from my MBP purchace. I've NEVER regretted my decision.

Have the the two been converted into Hackintoshes?
  • Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

We are taking this 4th one back. Went to a different location today to look at one they just got in, made them open it in store... sloppy hinge problem. Thats 5. I've been dealing with London Drugs because they have a 14 day return policy.

Opening it in the store makes sense. I would have done that starting on number 3.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrabu View Post

They are the last place I'd buy a computer of any kind from... I bet every iMac returned there was boxed up to be sold to somebody else instead of returned to Apple (shipping costs $$); in fact you are probably going through other people's rejects. I know that's how they handled a camera I returned there years ago...

If they are an Authorized Reseller, you could blame Apple's monitoring of the retailler.

Are they in fact Authorized? If so, I'd talk to someone a Apple about the situation.

Which department at Apple handles these sorts of things?
  • Reply 40 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Well I got a bad iMac....it kept scratching all the discs but i just went to the apple store (day after launch in newcastle) and they fixed it. To be honest, whatever you buy will have had problems at some stage, but apple are THE best for sorting them out soon. So moan all you want, but you're still getting a better experience than buying an ordinary desktop (or building one yourself)

I had a problem with my new Dell laptop. Dell sent somebody to my house to fix it.

Shlepping a huge desktop to a mall to be fixed strikes me as a less "Better experience" compared to having free on-site service.

Is on-site service available for Macs? At a higher price? If so, I'd insist that they come on-site to fix an out-of-the-box problem.