Precautions before turning in for repair?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Are there any precautions I should have done before taking my Macbook Pro in for repair?

I backed up using Time Machine, I made sure all software was up to date, I set up a guest user login.

I'm a little concerned about the privacy of my data, but I know the computer geeks can bypass just about anything if they want. Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Are there any precautions I should have done before taking my Macbook Pro in for repair?

I backed up using Time Machine, I made sure all software was up to date, I set up a guest user login.

I'm a little concerned about the privacy of my data, but I know the computer geeks can bypass just about anything if they want. Should I be concerned?

Should you be concerned?

Depends what's on there, mate!

Best way is to trash all your data and reformat the empty space before you turn it in for repair. When you get it back you can restore everything within an hour from Time Machine, depending on your cable's connection speed.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    We receive a number of Macs each day in for repair and the most common questions, concerns and annoyances following a repair can be easily avoided by taking a few simple steps.

BACKUPS

1. Backup your Hard Drive. - If possible "clone" your drive.

2. Make sure to copy / print your network settings, including passwords, ip address, gateway, dns, vpn, etc.

3. Make sure to copy/print your email account settings, including passwords and server settings.

Check List for those worried about personal data.

1. Check DVD drive - make sure you don't have a disc in the tray or slot.

2. Empty all cache and temporary internet files

3. Check all USB and other ports and remove any unnecessary peripherals ( wireless mice antennas, SD Cards, etc. )

4. Make sure to remove any files that contain a list of your passwords or bank accounts.

5. Remove any files you do not want seen. ( legal documents, financial information, pictures, etc. )