Steve Jobs on claims of international iPad deception: "Are you nuts?"

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs this week continued to showcase his own flavor of public relations management, asking one supporter if he was insane to suggest the company had mislead international customers with regard to iPad availability.

Apple announced Wednesday that initial demand for the new device has been far higher than anticipated, causing the company to make "the difficult decision to postpone the international launch of iPad by one month, until the end of May."

"Although we have delivered more than 500,000 iPads during its first week, demand is far higher than we predicted and will likely continue to exceed our supply over the next several weeks as more people see and touch an iPad," Apple said. "We have also taken a large number of pre-orders for iPad 3G models for delivery by the end of April."

The announcement triggered widespread disappointment among international customers eager to get their hands on the groundbreaking device. But for some like Paul Shadwell, this disappointment soon bled into frustration and anger, prompting an email to Jobs over the matter.

In particular, Shadwell chastised the Apple co-founder for holding back international pricing information and details from customers while Americans prance around with their iPads. He also accused Jobs of repeating false claims regarding the timing of the international rollout just one week ago, when he told journalists at the iPhone 4.0 preview event that the iPad remained on track for an international launch in late April.

"Twice to my knowledge you have falsely stated international availability of the iPad and while I do not believe this is any fault of your own," Shadwell said in his email to Jobs, "I can imagine that you are not happy being shown as deliberately pulling the wool over the rest of the worlds eyes."

"Are you nuts?," Jobs responded. "We are doing the best we can. We need enough units to have a responsible and great launch."

In a report Thursday, Ovum research said it believes Apple will ship 13 million iPads globally by the end of 2011, but added that the company's decision to delay the international release may also reflect difficulty in ramping up production.

"The iPad is based on a number of high-end components, including its Apple-designed A4 processor and 9.7-inch LCD screen, which will take Apple's manufacturing partners time to produce in significant volumes," the firm said. "If Apple's tightly-managed supply chain is genuinely stretched by unexpected demand, Apple is sensible to push back its international launch and focus on the strong demand in its home market and on meeting existing pre-orders for the 3G version of the iPad."

For its part, AppleInsider was tipped off to Apple's plans to delay the international launch of the iPad a day before the company issued its media advisory on the matter. According to the source, Apple had become concerned about widespread WiFi connectivity issues reported with the first batch of devices and planned to investigate the matter more thoroughly before branching out with sales. AppleInsider could not verify the claims with any degree of certainty.

Those connectivity issues reported by users included weak Wi-Fi reception, dropped signals and difficulty connecting to a network. In response to some of those issues, Apple has set up a support document suggesting some of the problems are tied to third-party Wi-Fi routers that are dual-band capable.

The company recommended that users of these routers separate Wi-Fi network names to identify each band, such as adding G to the 802.11g network name, and N to the 802.11n network name. It is also recommended that both networks use the same security type, such as WPA. Should the issues persists, Apple suggests that users reset their network settings under Settings, General, Reset.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    "Hear no evil, see no evil, do no evil."

Steve should just admit the deficits and be done with it, instead of letting his arrogance punch consumers in the face. There's only so much that consumers and developers are willing to take before they will abandon you.
  • Reply 2 of 143
    awmawmawmawm Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

Steve should just admit the deficits and be done with it, instead of letting his arrogance punch consumers in the face. There's only so much that consumers and developers are willing to take before they will abandon you.

If you had a great product people want, they may bitch but will certainly not abandon you... Abandon the iPad for what exactly?
  • Reply 3 of 143
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Hahahahaha. Excellent response by Jobs. He could have just said Are you nuts and that's it.
  • Reply 4 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Hahahahaha. Excellent response by Jobs. He could have just said Are you nuts and that's it.

Seriously. This guy in under the false impression that Apple is somehow required to release the iPad internationally at all. This entitlement mentality is out of control.
  • Reply 5 of 143
    "There's only so much that consumers and developers are willing to take before they will abandon you."

Are you nuts?

The d-bag is complaining about NOT being able to BUY an iPad.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Paul Shadwell is a moron and I can't believe Steve responded in the first place.

Steve, put down the iPad already.
  • Reply 7 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Polite too, I'd have said something far stronger!
  • Reply 8 of 143
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Talk about entitlement mentality... It doesn't matter whether its the latest gear from Apple or the latest handout from the government, people really need to lose the entitlement attitude to everything. It's sick.
  • Reply 9 of 143
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Do you know what, the respective argument aside – I think it's great that Steve Jobs takes the time to respond to these emails.

Good luck trying to get hold of other companies CEOs via email...
  • Reply 10 of 143
    In Canada we have started an "Apple Abandoned Us So We Are Abandoning Apple" campaign. We are asking people to come to our rallies with their Apple products that they will then toss into a huge bonfire.

Our first rally yesterday wasn't that great. Only 12 people showed up and they were throwing Zunes in the fire. I don't think they read the memo correctly.
  • Reply 11 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Twice to my knowledge you have falsely stated international availability of the iPad and while I do not believe this is any fault of your own," Shadwell said in his email to Jobs, "I can imagine that you are not happy being shown as deliberately pulling the wool over the rest of the worlds eyes."

"Are you nuts?," Jobs responded. "We are doing the best we can. We need enough units to have a responsible and great launch."

I would have responded to Shadwell the same way -- though I probably would have opened with, "What kind of an idiot are you?" or "WHAT is wrong with you???" Apple's not trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes with the iPad's release timeline; the muffins are done when the toothpick comes out clean. How darn impatient are these fools...

(Apple's an American company -- of course Americans are going to be prancing around with iPads first!! Ever heard the phrase "Coming to a theatre near you?" We don't see too many Hollywood premieres here in Baltimore, so -- obviously -- waiting patiently is part of the process.)
  • Reply 12 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In Canada we have started an "Apple Abandoned Us So We Are Abandoning Apple" campaign. We are asking people to come to our rallies with their Apple products that they will then toss into a huge bonfire.

Our first rally yesterday wasn't that great. Only 12 people showed up and they were throwing Zunes in the fire. I don't think they read the memo correctly.

• Reply 13 of 143
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

I love how you keep wishing for the worst and pretending the sky is falling. It's cute. Insofar is living in some alternate reality is cute.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

LOL that's great. I don't think you should abandon them though...nobody else has the balls to put out innovative products like Apple...don't punish them for having to work out the wrinkles.
  • Reply 15 of 143
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    People complaining about this should stop making a fool of themselves.
  • Reply 16 of 143
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I love how you keep wishing for the worst and pretending the sky is falling. It's cute. Insofar is living in some alternate reality is cute.

Are you living under a rock? Steve Jobs pretty much gave developers the middle finger last week by denying developers from writing their programs originally in a non original language.

Now Steve Jobs is giving the finger to this customer for merely questioning Apple's delays.

Apple needs to be a little more diplomatic.
  • Reply 17 of 143
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moracity View Post

Seriously. This guy in under the false impression that Apple is somehow required to release the iPad internationally at all. This entitlement mentality is out of control.

Totally. He will have to wait until Apple is ready to give his country the iPad. He has no entitlement to it, but he thinks that Steve is trying to mislead him.

That's just nuts.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://stevecheney.posterous.com/the...tical-platform

Possible explanations re Xcode requirements.

"By telling developers to move to XCode tools, Apple is setting the stage to potentially switch architectures".
  • Reply 19 of 143
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Paul Shadwell is a moron and I can't believe Steve responded in the first place.

Steve, put down the iPad already.

I agree, who is this guy and why does anyone care, his email was not worth the time of day...

It seems like Jobs on random days decides to respond to emails like this. Unlike most CEO who would never respond to anyone's email.

I bet this guy frames that email
  • Reply 20 of 143
    Quote:

You sound like you've got some serious issues there with SJ, buddy. Comes through in every post of yours. If you can't say something decent (or at least value-added), perhaps you should consider not saying anything at all?

It's getting really tiresome.