The iPad has no market and the iPhone is not popular according to...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...the CEO of RIM.

When I first saw this, I came to the inescapable conclusion that there are indeed alternate universes. The CEO of RIM lives in one where the iPad has not sold a half a million units in the first week and the iPhone is not popular.

Then I realized he had to be speaking narrowly about corporate customers. His image of the world is a giant cube farm with 10 year old Gateways running Windows 98 beige boxes connected to the web powered by IE 6 on dial-up. To him, the only customer is the IT sys admin. To him, the Storm was the only credible touchscreen phone, and it flopped in both the business and consumer market. Therefore, the market does not like them and only wants those free phones the company hands out to new employees.

Is the competition really this clueless? What say you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Could be. But I am wondering about the lack of direct quotes in that article. I'd prefer to know what the man said in his own words before deciding whether he lives in an alternate universe.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

...the CEO of RIM.

Is the competition really this clueless? What say you?

Look at what the "competition" has produced since the iPhone's introduction. And they *still* don't get it. Clueless? That's putting it mildly.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Could be. But I am wondering about the lack of direct quotes in that article. I'd prefer to know what the man said in his own words before deciding whether he lives in an alternate universe.

I don't disagree with your caution, but in this case, I think if he said anything close enough to be construed in this way, he is still from an alternate dimension.

This type of blatant denial is not new. As I pointed out in another thread, Molly Wood from Buzz Out Loud made it clear just this week that she thought Apple was flat out lying about their iPad sales numbers and went into bizzarro mode by speculating that Apple had stockpiles of iPads they were withholding just to fake the appearance of a shortage. These people will say anything to avoid admitting that Apple has created compelling products that the masses want more than the geek approved products they support. To paraphrase Molly Wood, herself, these people; including her, are wackadoodle.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I don't disagree with your caution, but in this case, I think if he said anything close enough to be construed in this way, he is still from an alternate dimension.

This type of blatant denial is not new. As I pointed out in another thread, Molly Wood from Buzz Out Loud made it clear just this week that she thought Apple was flat out lying about their iPad sales numbers and went into bizzarro mode by speculating that Apple had stockpiles of iPads they were withholding just to fake the appearance of a shortage. These people will say anything to avoid admitting that Apple has created compelling products that the masses want more than the geek approved products they support. To paraphrase Molly Wood, herself, these people; including her, are wackadoodle.

One day, and even sooner than we may think, they too will hold their own iPads in their hands. It'll be a rude awakening.