didn't the Nexus One already have these features?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
so how is this better than the nexus one?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Because Android is slow as molasses and it is snappy due to the hardware power in the Nexus? Because battery life on Android is unpredictable depending on how many apps are running at any given point of time?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

didn't the Nexus One already have these features? so how is this better than the nexus one?

Have the same features as the iPhone?

Why yes THEY DID... Unfortunately the iPhone had them first!

You were referring to the fact that the Nexus One is almost a clone of the iPhone right?!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Have the same features as the iPhone?

Why yes THEY DID... Unfortunately the iPhone had them first!

You were referring to the fact that the Nexus One is almost a clone of the iPhone right?!

I'm referring to the features that iPhone OS 4 debuted recently.

Didn't the Nexus One already have these features?

So head-to-head, how is the iPhone better?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Apple's user interface is much better. Android has folders, it has multitasking and other features but Apple's method for handling these features and more are more elegant.

As always Apple balances delivering the proper UI for a feature with the underlaying technology. They do not deliver features for marketing sake and that's why people unfamilar with Apple come in not expecting Apple products to impress them yet end up impressed because Apple is about "feel" and "emotion" more than sheer technical specification.

The tentpole features are what keeps the press buzzing but what's going to make the difference is the plethora of API changes and updates that make iPhone apps better than the competition. All wrapped up in an approachable UI.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple's user interface is much better. Android has folders, it has multitasking and other features but Apple's method for handling these features and more are more elegant.

As always Apple balances delivering the proper UI for a feature with the underlaying technology. They do not deliver features for marketing sake and that's why people unfamilar with Apple come in not expecting Apple products to impress them yet end up impressed because Apple is about "feel" and "emotion" more than sheer technical specification.

The tentpole features are what keeps the press buzzing but what's going to make the difference is the plethora of API changes and updates that make iPhone apps better than the competition. All wrapped up in an approachable UI.

So really, if computer geeks like the Nexus One more it's because they can tinker with it more so than the regular consumer who just wants it to work without having to get into all that tehnical jargon?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Well... "better" is a subjective term.

As for the general populace as a whole... based on sales, they seem to think the iPhone is "better" even withOUT OS4.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

So really, if computer geeks like the Nexus One more it's because they can tinker with it more so than the regular consumer who just wants it to work without having to get into all that tehnical jargon?

I think only a small fraction of people geek out on phones like this. I suppose that both platforms are working towards the same goal (a complete and robust platform with excellent developer support) but just going about it in different ways.

Apple started out and still remains somewhat conservative. They are still on only 1 carrier in the US and and until the iPad came out developers only had to worry about one screen size. Apple was able to focus on the UI moreso and then build up the backend.

Android has had to make the tough decisions early (multiple screens, input, multitasking) but trails (IMO) in the usability arena. They are helped out via the fact that they are on multiple carriers in the US.

I don't see Apple maintaining a lead over the Android phones forever but I do see Apple moving to more carriers later this year and becoming even stronger (and profitable) over the next couple of years. The fun is just starting.

Android is great. It keeps Apple honest and driven to improve the iPhone ecosystem.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

It remains to be seen but hints are suggesting that the multitasking is no where near the same as what is provided in the Nexus. I'm sure it will be revealed one way or the other if Apple's implementation is indeed more efficient. I'd be willing to be it is.

- Games Center (no such thing on Android)

- iAd (no such thing on Android)

- Universal Inbox (no such thing on Android)

- Enterprise Features (by most accounts Apple is still way ahead of Android)

- Multitasking (yes on Android)

- Folders (yes on Android)

That pretty much sums it up...