Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 201 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Since when does Apple need to leak a full product in this why? Why not just a photo? What is the point in all that secrecy just to take all the thunder out of Jobs iPhone event months ahead of time?

How does it benefit them to give their competition 2 extra months to play follow the leader. It doesn't make sense.

To answer your first question, as I said in one of my previous posts, given all the photo leaks that have come out in the past, why wouldn't Apple want to head them off at the pass this time around? Better for Apple to control the leak and give the ravenous tech blogs the red meat they crave than to have said blogs and their paparazzi employees take (sometimes) illegal measures to try and obtain information (or disinformation) on a new product of theirs. With the former, both parties win as Apple gets free PR and the tech blogs get the real (yet unconfirmed) deal. With the latter, both parties lose as Apple has property stolen or policies violated, and the tech blogs take chances with their reputation and reliability.

To answer your second question (and the remainder of your first one), who's to say what, or how, Jobs will introduce the next iPhone come mid-summer? Your merely presuming he will introduce the iPhone as he's done in the past. Perhaps Apple's marketing team has taken a different route this time around. Apple is fully aware of the power and influence of the tech blogosphere, as is made evident by the little post-it notes they throw up on their website whenever the store is down-

"Please alert your nearest tech blog." Apple knows word travels lightning fast in this community. Your comment regarding their competition doesn't make much sense, as Apple unveiled iPhone OS 4 three months ahead of time, so why does having this hardware "leak" matter? I am now of the opinion that Apple did intentionally drop this, and just as Apple probably expected, the tech blogs are on fire (in a good way) over this.
  • Reply 202 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

For The Curious - Here's The Original Craigslisting:

"So I did it again this last week, consumed way too much straight vodka within perhaps an hour. The party started at 7, I had to be removed by 10pm because I was biting/attacking/wanting/insulting people and in the process lost my employers iPhone 4G prototype model. It was lost at Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge & Restaurant downtown San Jose. The phone was hidden inside of an iPhone 3G case. The device has a front facing camera, 80GB of storage. The device, when found was probably running a newer version of iPhone OS but my employer bricked it remotely within a few hours. Pretty sure i'm going to lose my job over this so if you find the phone please email me. Thanks"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/laf/1698812779.html

Holy Crap! Thank you for this.

Proof positive this is a hoax!

Man, it's a good one, I gotta say.

edit: well it could just be someone unrelated just adding-on (copy-cat) to the original hoax.
  • Reply 203 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I don't think the date of the post lines up with what Gizmodo is saying happened

EDIT: re-read it, yeah it might line up, but posting about it a whole week later? Don't think so..

I don't think you can take a joke.
  • Reply 204 of 394
    voltaicvoltaic Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Do you honestly believe that a prototype device got out from under the secret blanket, out of the secured doors, through the metal detectors and security tag detectors (yes, Apple is known to add security tags to prototype hardware), through 3 more levels of security, off the campus and then in a simple bit of drunken stupidity, was left unattended for even a split second?!?

Absolutely.

1. At some point in it's development, it has to leave the skunkworks and undergo real world testing.

Just like with DSLR cameras (of which I'm more familiar), they are given to select pro photographers to use in the field. It's the only way to get proper testing data, debugging and user feedback. The cameras are often badged as previous models or otherwise concealed.

Sometimes they still get outed.

2. Human nature. People make sometimes colossal blunders or engage in corporate treachery.

None of us will probably ever know the real story.

The only question is the probability of this unit being authentic based on external and internal examination.
  • Reply 205 of 394
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:

Sorry. Did I miss something? Please...

I mean I rather like the thing, but nothing has been shown that proves it's the real deal. Nothing.

Please correct me. This would actually make me happy.
  • Reply 206 of 394
    Quote:

For The Curious - Here's The Original Craigslisting:

"So I did it again this last week, consumed way too much straight vodka within perhaps an hour. The party started at 7, I had to be removed by 10pm because I was biting/attacking/wanting/insulting people and in the process lost my employers iPhone 4G prototype model. It was lost at Fahrenheit Ultra Lounge & Restaurant downtown San Jose. The phone was hidden inside of an iPhone 3G case. The device has a front facing camera, 80GB of storage. The device, when found was probably running a newer version of iPhone OS but my employer bricked it remotely within a few hours. Pretty sure I'm going to lose my job over this so if you find the phone please email me. Thanks"

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/laf/1698812779.html

LOL. I call BS on this. This is just someone looking for their 15 minutes of fame by trying to claim they're the person who lost the thing. Gizmodo would never hand it over anyway. And for what, so this loser can then turn around and hawk the darned thing for major money? Yeah
  • Reply 207 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Sorry. Did I miss something? Please...

I mean I rather like the thing, but nothing has been shown that proves it's the real deal. Nothing.

Please correct me. This would actually make me happy.

At this point, you're clearly in the minority in questioning whether this 'device' is an actual Apple design (prototype or otherwise), so the burden of (dis)proof is yours.
  • Reply 208 of 394
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    This article and reaction would be a good study of how gullible we can be. And, if proven to be a fabrication, it is emblematic of how internet information has deteriorated -- repetition becomes fact.

When does a rumor become a confirmation?

Quote:

Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled.

Apple's next-generation iPhone has been obtained by Gizmodo, confirming the forthcoming hardware's forward-facing camera, high-resolution 960x460 display, camera flash, a secondary mic for noise cancellation, and a number of design changes in the new-look device. .

-- Apple Insider

CGC
  • Reply 209 of 394
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    Can someone PLEASE ask at tomorrow's quarterly results about this phone?
  • Reply 210 of 394
    Quote:

At this point, you're clearly in the minority in questioning whether this 'device' is an actual Apple design (prototype or otherwise), so the burden of (dis)proof is yours.

Just because you feel that person is in the minority, does not mean that they have to prove something to be untrue. They do not have to prove their innocence, you have to prove the guilt. I would sure hate to have you on a jury.
  • Reply 211 of 394
    reliasonreliason Posts: 135member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

To imagine this is plant by Apple is utterly retarded. Its clearly real - whether its the final form or not we shall see... but really, what on earth would be the point of Apple dropping it? Because Apple has a real problem getting publicity? Because they won't sell every single unit they can make come launch? Ridiculous and juvenile.

Quite frankly? I believe that what Apple has to gain by creating this viral buzz is to draw attention away from Droid and the Kin (which I would guess is only an accident of timing as the Kin is no threat to the iPhone).

Apple could have owned the entire PC market. But some of their design, product, marketing and pricing strategies from the late 80s/early 90s relegated them to a niche player.

Steve Jobs won't make that mistake again. He is not playing to sell all he can make. He is playing to WIN the smart phone market.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women. " - Steve 'The Barbarian' Jobs
  • Reply 212 of 394
    1. this could very well be an intentional leak to generate hype. i mean, ipads were known to have been chained to desks. probably also pre-launch users ). and this is just forgotten on some table.

2. so some drunk apple employee forgets a prototype phone from one of the most secretive companies in the world. then somebody else finds it, takes it (i.e. steals it) and gives it to gizmodo for breaking news material. which makes gizmodo at once the one with the story and an accessory to the crime of theft. the 'stupid accident' hypothesis (in contrast with 1.) would not be an legal excuse for Giz, nor for the one that brought the story to them (if it wasn't apple itself haha).

so if i were apple and if i weren't the one behind the leak, i'd sue the %&^* out of giz.
  • Reply 213 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fizzmaster View Post

Just because you feel that person is in the minority, does not mean that they have to prove something to be untrue. They do not have to prove their innocence, you have to prove the guilt. I would sure hate to have you on a jury.

Strawman Much?
  • Reply 214 of 394
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    It's hard to argue with a hands-on teardown, but I still doubt this. This kind of thing NEVER happens, especially from Apple. When I first saw the photos yesterday on MacNN, I said it didn't look right. At the time I thought the "iPhone" text didn't look right, and that something looked weird with the logo. Seeing the existing one, I take that back...but still:

Have you ever heard of people walking around with unreleased Apple products? Have you ever heard of anything like this happening? I haven't. The closest we've come to this kind of information is the workerbee incident. Apple threw the book at him. Apple went after Thinksecret over some friggin photos. Do you really think they wouldn't issue cease and desist orders to AI, Gizmodo, et al? Of course they would.

I think this is either an excellent fake, or an intentional leak by Apple. That's just the way I see it.
  • Reply 215 of 394
    ugh the design to me looks like a step back. really hope the final product is a better design...
  • Reply 216 of 394
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Gizmodo could be treading on pretty thin ice here.

As Gruber points out, Apple considers this unit 'stolen', not 'lost', and if you think they came down hard on ThinkSecret for a few pictures, consider how they may feel about what can easily be viewed as industrial espionage.

This isn't even close to industrial espionage, if their story is accurate. Plus there is the possibility that Gizmodo might give it to Apple after photographing it from all angles. Either way will be interesting to see who does and who doesn't get invited to WWDC this year!
  • Reply 217 of 394
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    We should start a poll. "Fake / Not Fake"

I vote fake.
  • Reply 218 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Better for Apple to control the leak and give the ravenous tech blogs the red meat they crave than to have said blogs and their paparazzi employees take (sometimes) illegal measures to try and obtain information (or disinformation) on a new product of theirs.

But this isn't a controlled leak. This is boondoggle. This gives the control to everyone but Apple. If Apple wanted control they would have had a special event, a press release or even a page on their website. This is just a bunch of pics showing what Apple never shows, the internals. Plus, we are to believe they did this the week of their MBP release, right before the iPad 3G and their Q2 release. Occam's Razor says this is not what is happening. This ridiculously circuitous plan is something only the Robot Devil could think of.

Quote:

Your merely presuming he will introduce the iPhone as he's done in the past.

Yes I am, because there is a long history of Apple doing things a certain way and that certain way to be the right way. it makes no sense to suggest that because they could do it differently that they must be doing it differently.
  • Reply 219 of 394
    Who exactly "confirmed" it? Was it Apple?

"Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled"
  • Reply 220 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lostdiadam View Post

ugh the design to me looks like a step back. really hope the final product is a better design...

A step back from what?

This 'device' clearly represents a far more efficient design direction for the iPhone given that it packs a superior display, more technology, and more capacious battery in a smaller/more pockaetable package.