Confirmed next-gen Apple iPhone seen in person, disassembled

Comments

• Reply 301 of 394
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

The assumption that this could be 'just a fake' is fundamentally unfounded and vastly simplifies (or ignores) just what is involved in manufacturing the device in discussion.

I am just not sure people realize the extent of innovation, engineering and high end manufacturing processes that would be required to deliver this as simply a FAKE into the wild.

You must fully appreciate that the design specification, engineering and fabrication + assembly precision that was required JUST to realize those (working) volume buttons would limit the maker to the highest end fabricators in the industry. Just look at that hairline reveal between button and housing. Add to that the glass and ceramic materials engineering. PLUS the precision fit and finish. (I could go on, and on). This is simply not a 'garage' project.

Absolutely no outfit big or small would (could) have this much access to or put this much investment against engineering, materials and manufacturing technique to create.... a fake.

This is definitively apple engineering. And definitively designed to a near complete product. Its not a mock-up or a early model.

It may be a pre-release , BUT this object represents the (very nearly) END of the design/manufacturing process. Not the beginning or middle.

---

Lastly a thought on the seems intersecting the housing. ---> heat abatement.

Exactly. Thank you. These aren't some blurry lowlight webcam photos of a cardboard mockup from it's one good side.
  • Reply 302 of 394
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I like this shape in general (be it authentic or not)... only thing I'm not so thrilled with are separate, big, round volume buttons. That seems a bit strange for me. Additionally, I'd expect retail model to have seamless frame. If Apple can make single-part notebook case, they surely can make phone frame? Seam on this one looks ugly and is too big - almost as if parts were not fited properly.
  • Reply 303 of 394
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    The iPhone needs a larger screen size, not a smaller one, regardless of the resolution.

But kudos to Apple for putting in a forward-facing camera. Finally catching up to the competition: this is a good sign!
  • Reply 304 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

You're missing the BIGGEST clue of all from this leak!

This will be a departure from that pesky base 2 system of numbers. (based on Bytes and Bits and other made up things like Unicorns)

Instead this will be the first iPod offered in 20GB size. (XXGB according to the pictures)

Industry first I believe.

what about the old iPod Photo models with amazing color screens?
  • Reply 305 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

... This is hardly tantamount to 'theft' -

So if your car is parked in a public place I'm free to take it? So if you leave your credit card on a table at a restaurant I'm free to take it? You are absolutely wrong, if you keep it then it is theft and you better believe the police would agree!

You find a $20 on the street, yeah so you pick it up. Not much point in turning it in because there is no way they are going to find the owner. However, a mobile phone belongs to someone with a cell plan so tracking down the owner is not only possible but easy. Deciding to just keep it since you personally don't know who's it is means you are deciding to steal it.
  • Reply 306 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Yes. At this point I am leaning more toward your option number 3. (Giz got punked) but then they ran with it, and they will back pedal later.

As I have stated elsewhere I Could Be Wrong

We'll see; probably tomorrow, around 5:30 pm EST

Possible. But unless it was Apple that punked them it was an awfully elaborate fake...good enough to fool giz and the people they've had look at it over a week.
  • Reply 307 of 394
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

So if your car is parked in a public place I'm free to take it? So if you leave your credit card on a table at a restaurant I'm free to take it? You are absolutely wrong, if you keep it then it is theft and you better believe the police would agree!

You find a $20 on the street, yeah so you pick it up. Not much point in turning it in because there is no way they are going to find the owner. However, a mobile phone belongs to someone with a cell plan so tracking down the owner is not only possible but easy. Deciding to just keep it since you personally don't know who's it is means you are deciding to steal it.

They surely must have had some kind of Strawman giveaway somewhere today... \
  • Reply 308 of 394
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

The biggest problem with this design is not how it looks, rather, it's the lack of protection on the edges/corners of the glass. Any drop and the glass is history. The old design's use of a wide bezel protects the glass in many drops....

Actually the chrome bezel is purely decorative.

If you like that sort of thing.

In the current iPhone, the edge of the glass is held and protected by a black steel bezel. Apple have a patent on it - Which is present on this design too.

C.
  • Reply 309 of 394
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

[I]

Hey. I'm not saying I don't want this to be real (though I definitely don't want this to be the finished product (all that finger grunge building up in the screen / bezel edge)

could try more frequent hand washing...
  • Reply 310 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

But kudos to Apple for putting in a forward-facing camera. Finally catching up to the competition: this is a good sign!

Do you post the same passive-aggressive nonsense every time there is a story on the 4g?
  • Reply 311 of 394
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

The iPhone needs a larger screen size, not a smaller one, regardless of the resolution.

The screen is basically the same size. Based on the pictures, the average person will never notice the difference. I don't buy in to the iPhone needs a bigger screen argument either. I like the current form factor but I'll gladly take a bigger screen as long as the phone doesn't increase in size. If it makes the phone bigger, I probably don't want it.
  • Reply 312 of 394
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

The assumption that this could be 'just a fake' is fundamentally unfounded and vastly simplifies (or ignores) just what is involved in manufacturing the device in discussion.

I am just not sure people realize the extent of innovation, engineering and high end manufacturing processes that would be required to deliver this as simply a FAKE into the wild.

You must fully appreciate that the design specification, engineering and fabrication + assembly precision that was required JUST to realize those (working) volume buttons would limit the maker to the highest end fabricators in the industry. Just look at that hairline reveal between button and housing. Add to that the glass and ceramic materials engineering. PLUS the precision fit and finish. (I could go on, and on). This is simply not a 'garage' project.

Absolutely no outfit big or small would (could) have this much access to or put this much investment against engineering, materials and manufacturing technique to create.... a fake.

This is definitively apple engineering. And definitively designed to a near complete product. Its not a mock-up or a early model.

It may be a pre-release , BUT this object represents the (very nearly) END of the design/manufacturing process. Not the beginning or middle.

---

Lastly a thought on the seems intersecting the housing. ---> heat abatement.

I agree with that, but I still struggle with the fact that we've never known Apple to allow this to happen. Apple employees...unless they are high up I assume...don't get to walk around with unreleased products. It simply doesn't happen. Someone mentioned that perhaps it was an AT&T employee that had it. Riiiight. They REALLY don't get hardware two months in advance.

After reading the Giz article and watching videos, I agree it's definitely not "just a fake." It's either real or the most amazing fake ever created.
  • Reply 313 of 394
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I don't think it was found in a bar either. It was obviously stolen; the bar cover story is just an attempt to cover up tracks. That implies an inside job. Hmm.
  • Reply 314 of 394
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    If that becomes final, the complaints will soar.
  • Reply 315 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

You're missing the BIGGEST clue of all from this leak!

This will be a departure from that pesky base 2 system of numbers. (based on Bytes and Bits and other made up things like Unicorns)

Instead this will be the first iPod offered in 20GB size. (XXGB according to the pictures)

Industry first I believe.

How so? Where are the specs saying it will be 20Gb?
  • Reply 316 of 394
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dominiej View Post

How so? Where are the specs saying it will be 20Gb?

He's making a clever joke. XX is the Roman numeral for 20.
  • Reply 317 of 394
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

They surely must have had some kind of Strawman giveaway somewhere today... \

How right you are! There have been a lot of strawmen presented by those thinking this is the real deal.
  • Reply 318 of 394
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Fake - but a good one.

Good marketing by Giz thou.
  • Reply 319 of 394
    With reference to AppleInsider articles from months gone by, how does this grab you lot...

The back of the phone could be a solar panel.

If these are images of the 4G iPhone then the flat back could lend itself to being a dual-sided multi-touch device.

Further, it could be a combination of the above ideas...

...discuss...

• Reply 320 of 394
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Do you post the same passive-aggressive nonsense every time there is a story on the 4g?

What 4g? The iPhone doesn't have 4g. It has 3g.

Are you talking about the 4th gen?