Purported prototype next-gen iPhone has MicroSIM slot, two cameras

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

It probably no longer works due to the fact it was found on a the floor of a bar. It was probably dropped. I wouldn't get too excited about conspiracy theories when the device obviously took a tumble, and probably onto a tile, cement, or hard wood floor as is common inside a bar.

Then I would have expected it to not be working when it was found. Instead, it worked for sometime and stopped working once information about it started leaking onto the internet. Awfully coincidental timing for a hypothetical drop to suddenly affect it later. I suppose something could have come loose and shorted later.

Gizmodo mentions Apple remotely deactivated it in their latest article.
  • Reply 62 of 86
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

I see that glass or zirconia is radio transparent, but what about the weight.

This device is 3 grams heavier.

C.
  • Reply 63 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I think what they are actually saying is that the body is not necessarily an Apple "prototype", but some sort of "generic" type body Apple has used (probably purchased) to simply mock-up their technology.

For my part... I think the whole thing is bogus.

"Found on a bar floor"... Yeah, right...

Stranger things have been found on bar floors.
  • Reply 64 of 86
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...allegedly found laying on the floor of a San Jose bar...

This. Steve must have used a few words that are not in any dictionary when this story is true and it is a real prototype... Somebody check the building at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino if all the windows are still there!
  • Reply 65 of 86
    williamgwilliamg Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Stranger things have been found on bar floors.

Any of these found there yet?

"HTC Droid Incredible on Pre-Order: Early Reviews Positive

My PC World colleague Ginny Mies says the HTC Droid Incredible lives up to its name. She found the new smartphone speedy and thinks the display is gorgeous. Mies also liked the HTC Sense UI used on the Droid Incredible (as in not the same interface of the Nexus One), especially the Leap feature, which is an elegant way of handling multitasking and the Friend Stream, a social network aggregator.

Engadget's Joshua Topolsky thinks the Droid Incredible is the "the best Android device that you can purchase in America right now." He claims it is better than the Motorola Droid or the Google Nexus One. Topolsky also found the interface of the HTC Incredible speedy, and the 8-megapixel camera on board can take "stunning photos -- particularly in daylight settings."

Gizmodo's Matt Buchanan also recommends the HTC Incredible as the must-buy smartphone on Verizon. He notes the Incredible is fast indeed, and that the Sense UI is an improvement over the standard Android interface. "

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19449..._positive.html
  • Reply 66 of 86
    I wonder, if it is real, who actually lost it? I expect that person will be out of a job. Didn't Eric Schmidt's mistress claim that she had been given an iPhone prototype before the original iPhone was released? I suppose if it was some senior exec or board member then repercussions won't be as severe as for some QA analyst out for a drink with his buddies.

I guess the proof will be if/when Giz gets a takedown notice and a legal request to have the device returned to Apple. Hope someone is copying the pics and videos.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

Any of these found there yet?

"HTC Droid Incredible on Pre-Order: Early Reviews Positive

My PC World colleague Ginny Mies says the HTC Droid Incredible lives up to its name. She found the new smartphone speedy and thinks the display is gorgeous. Mies also liked the HTC Sense UI used on the Droid Incredible (as in not the same interface of the Nexus One), especially the Leap feature, which is an elegant way of handling multitasking and the Friend Stream, a social network aggregator.

Engadget's Joshua Topolsky thinks the Droid Incredible is the "the best Android device that you can purchase in America right now." He claims it is better than the Motorola Droid or the Google Nexus One. Topolsky also found the interface of the HTC Incredible speedy, and the 8-megapixel camera on board can take "stunning photos -- particularly in daylight settings."

Gizmodo's Matt Buchanan also recommends the HTC Incredible as the must-buy smartphone on Verizon. He notes the Incredible is fast indeed, and that the Sense UI is an improvement over the standard Android interface. "

http://www.pcworld.com/article/19449..._positive.html

Do you people seriously consider these devices as competitors for iPhone/Apple? For what i know people who have made their mind on apple rethink it ONLY if at first they dindnt like it.

The device on photos looks very appealing.
  • Reply 68 of 86
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

This device is 3 grams heavier.

C.

You heard it first in post #59!!!

Looking at the gizmodo pictures the new design really grows on me.
  • Reply 69 of 86
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    whatever this device is, it's THIN. take a look at the 3.5 mm headphone jack in the photo - it takes up little more than HALF of the thickness of the device. we could be going from 12.3 mm to UNDER 10 mm.
  • Reply 70 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Removable battery = the entire thing is fake. Move on.

Giz isn't showing a removable battery.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

whatever this device is, it's THIN. take a look at the 3.5 mm headphone jack in the photo - it takes up little more than HALF of the thickness of the device. we could be going from 12.3 mm to UNDER 10 mm.

From Gizmodo, "The phone measures 4.50 by 2.31 by 0.37 inches. It weighs 140 grams." That is 9.398mm.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    It's looking real to me, and the styling is growing on me as well.

Shame that Gizmodo felt the need to mention the internals, but not to even show a simple picture of the Apple branded parts that they mention.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

It's looking real to me, and the styling is growing on me as well.

Shame that Gizmodo felt the need to mention the internals, but not to even show a simple picture of the Apple branded parts that they mention.

They did!

C.
  • Reply 73 of 86
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Then I would have expected it to not be working when it was found. Instead, it worked for sometime and stopped working once information about it started leaking onto the internet. Awfully coincidental timing for a hypothetical drop to suddenly affect it later. I suppose something could have come loose and shorted later.

Gizmodo mentions Apple remotely deactivated it in their latest article.

Tulkas, that's like saying that all iPhone failures happen as a result of being remotely disabled. If the phone still worked after being found, there is no telling what damage may have resulted from the fall. Anything from a loose connector, to broken solder points to who knows what. Although it's possible it was remotely deactivated, it's also possible it simply stopped working. Unless Apple comes out and states they did so, then either argument is valid unless there is some sort of evidence to the contrary.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Tulkas, that's like saying that all iPhone failures happen as a result of being remotely disabled. If the phone still worked after being found, there is no telling what damage may have resulted from the fall. Anything from a loose connector, to broken solder points to who knows what. Although it's possible it was remotely deactivated, it's also possible it simply stopped working. Unless Apple comes out and states they did so, then either argument is valid unless there is some sort of evidence to the contrary.

Often, physical damage to electronics will manifest immediately. Sometime, yes, something might come loose that later causes a short or disconnect when it completely separates. Hence my sentence " I suppose something could have come loose and shorted later." If that is the case, it might not turn on at all.

But, if the thing worked for days afterwards, still powers up to the 'Connect to iTunes' screen and only after it started leaking onto the internet suddenly stopped completing the boot sequence, like I said, that is coincidental. It gets as far as devices that have been wiped using MobileMe get...to the Connect to iTunes Screen.
  • Reply 75 of 86
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    I don't get why people don't like the looks of this. It seems like a huge improvement to me. I love the glass and metal designs that are coming out of Apple. This device looks great to me.

This reminds me of the PS3 Slim. Everyone said it was ugly. I kinda thought so too, but I bought one because my PS3 died. The Slim looks much better then the old system when you see it in person. In a photo the plastic looked kinda cheap without the gloss finish and the buttons looked like a step back. Seeing it in person, the plastic looks much higher quality and the workmanship in the buttons offsets nixing the capacitance buttons. Sorta the same here. Metal and glass is difficult to photograph. You have to use your imagination and picture how the object would look made from aluminum and glass if you were to view it in person.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

They did!

image: http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets.../04/open13.jpg

C.

And yet we can't see the rest of the internals, a comparison to 3GS internals or the logic board. All we have is a single ribbon that looks somewhat large for this device with a finger blocking what it's connecting to.
  • Reply 77 of 86
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Apple won't support microSD. It means you'll be able to upgrade your storage without having to buy a whole different iphone.

Fake.
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Apple won't support microSD. It means you'll be able to upgrade your storage without having to buy a whole different iphone.

Fake.

And that's why it is a Micro-SIM not Micro-SD.
  • Reply 79 of 86
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

You folks are so gullible. Use a little common sense. How come there's only one rear shot? If you want to prove that the device is genuine, you'd want to show a lot more detailed shots of the Apple markings on the rear. But no, only one shot and at a pretty simple perspecitve. i.e. simple as in easy to 'shop. No oblique rear shots. And even the side shots are positioned so as not to show the rear panel.

I guess they shopped all of the back photos as well as the two videos they posted, right?
  • Reply 80 of 86
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Perhaps you haven't heard of Apple's MobileMe service. If you subscribe to that you can do a remote wipe on an iPhone. You can also locate it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

What I find most interesting is that it won't boot anymore. If it is a legit Apple unit, I wonder if they used a remote kill switch to deactivate it. Don't recall ever hearing about that capability for iPhones before, but I guess it is possible.