Gizmodo paid $5K for exclusive iPhone 4G prototype [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    n.kn.k Posts: 7member
    it seems a bit much to think they have all that security and some guy leaves it at a bar. i think the iphone probably has a few different prototypes. this being the most radical i think they put it out there to see what people think of it. if everyone says yuk it looks like cr@p. then they will pull out plan B. they cant afford to bring out an unpopular phone.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robzr View Post

Christ, the poor guy, that really sucks but it sounds like he was pretty sloppy, as a shareholder I hope this dunce is never trusted with anything like that again, and hopefully Apple tightens up security a bit as a result. This is really embarrassing for Apple. But it's funny - all the buzz this is creating - none of Apples competitors could pay for that kind of buzz. It's a win-win for AAPL, lets just hope it's a one time thing...

I can't blame Denton for paying $10k for this, thats easy math for them, I'm sure it's paid for itself many times over already. That said, I hope Apple throws the book at them, civilly, criminally, with chinese thugs, whatever it takes

I think it was really tasteless and un-newsworthy to post about the guy who lost it is. I have lost respect for Gizmodo over that for sure (not that I had a ton for them - their insight has always been shallow and their stories sensationalist). Purely a trashy, cash chasing blog IMO...

As for the iPhone "HD" or whatever - now I'm really drooling - my cash is already set aside, and I'm counting down the days till July. Beautiful....

Rob

They paid $5,000, not $10,000. AI is wrong
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you were a half-way credible journalist, you would realize that your primary responsibility is to your readers, not to the people whose products you review.

Actually their primary responsibility is to their customers, the advertisers.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    for 5K did they get unlimited data and text or maybe a family plan

not a good deal

just like the 2g when it was first sold, they will come back here and bitch about paying too much...if only they could wait it will soon be $200 with a 2yr plan. can't wait for the bitchin'
  • Reply 65 of 79
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    If it's Apple's prototype, Giz is now in possession of Apple's property, regardless of how they obtained it.

As for trade secrets and all that crap, they didn't sign any NDA and are NOT obligated to STFU.

I think a lot of people at Apple are face-palming today.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    This is one ugly smartphone... I doubt Apple would design something this crude! Anyway, they design and built multiple prototypes. This one could have come from China where they built this prototypes.

Another reason for them to build in the good old USofA!
  • Reply 67 of 79
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    So now we all know. Wasn't that thrilling? I used to love when Steve would introduce a new product, but hey! Now we have rumor sites doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve doesn't even introduce it at the keynote now and instead just put it up on the website without any fanfare.

Thanks for sucking the fun out of it Gizmodo.

Then again maybe Apple planted it from the start to throw everyone off. I'm HOPING that's the case.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

That's kinda cheap for an "exclusive" story.

Gizmodo will make way more that $5K in increased ad revenue today and tomorrow.....
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Gizmodo will make way more that $5K in increased ad revenue today and tomorrow.....

Yeah but Jesus is too smart to get involved, and Brian Lam will probably blame his boss, who pretty much had to have authorised the payment anyway.

So if the boss is in jail, Gizmodo goes down the tubes (yay!), and Brian and Jesus are out of a job, the $5,000 won't look so good after all.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That story sounds absolutely phoney and ridiculous.

I can see everyone is getting their story straight for the police though, that absolutely preposterous description of how they obtained the phone is, well ... absolutely preposterous. But it conveniently leaves the person who stole it apparently in the clear (if you believe the absolutely preposterous story that is).

"Pre uh preposterous, yeah that's the ticket!" ? Jon Lovitz

I agree.
  • Reply 71 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Actually their primary responsibility is to their customers, the advertisers.

You obviously know little or nothing about serious journalism.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    My opinion is that it all pretty convincing. If it's fake, it's the most elaborate ruse since Piltdown Man. However, there simply isn't enough empirical data say this is, without a doubt, an Apple created device.

PS: It's funny how the typical trolls saying how much Apple's quality sucks are now saying how great the quality is and how well designed it is which proves it's an Apple phone. They need that setup so they can crap on Apple's security. At least they are saying something nice about Apple. We should take it while we can.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by g3pro View Post

I'm glad Apple is at least copying the dual-microphone idea from the nexus one for noise cancellation. It should improve the iPhone call quality significantly.

You mean the dual microphone that existed long before the Nexus One was twinkle in HTC's eye? Noise canceling earphones have been using this for many years now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

What I find slightly suspicious is the lack of any "cease and desists" from Apple so far......

To do that would only have added validity to the story. The biggest thing that points to this being a fake is lack of logic board images. The images you can't easily fake. This case, while nice, isn't hard to fake. They showed EVERYTHING but the chips that would prove, without a doubt this was an Apple product. They also compared everything but the chips, the part of the phone that actually makes a difference. Is the CPU A4? How much RAM? How much NAND? What Infineon WCDMA chip? How many 3GSM bands? Et cetera....

I really like the design but this case is less complex than the LG Prada that was demoed a month before the original iPhone. It's just too easy to engineer a square design with some beveled edges. There are plenty of Chinese knock offs that prove that.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Ops, I guess someone will not be invited to Apple event in Jun.

Either way, I think they have shut themselves off, not that they had much credibility anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

FAKEEEEEEE, Apple doesn't let people take products off the Apple campus. This is just another person trying to get attention

They do. iPods and Macs don't need to be taken off site, but you do need to field test s device using various cellular towers. What's unusual is that they are allowed to take them to bars and not out on a day trip with at least two people thereby protecting the device from potential espionage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

According to LinkedIn, he is still employed at Apple -- it's doubtful that he will still be employed there after all of this though

Steve will keep him around for his organs.
  • Reply 73 of 79
    This letter from Apple is the most compelling evidence that this phone is from Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

Gizmodo can expect a threatening call from Apple's lawyers. I mean if your personal artifact was stolen and then publicly sold from hand to hand while being documented you would take action also. You can't just knowingly buy/take something that doesn't belong to you and use it make money buy attracting web traffic on a tech site. I would have handed it back and enjoyed the good graces of Apple for life...especially being a reporter of the apple industry.

Not to mention their parent company has already jumped up to offer money for leaks despite various laws and did it again, making it possible that either

1. someone saw it in use and lifted it

2. the person that had it sold it in violation of the NDA etc and just claimed to have lost it.

there's a part of me that wonders if Apple saw the tweets and arranged for this leak to catch them up. and whether that would be considered entrapment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

FAKEEEEEEE, Apple doesn't let people take products off the Apple campus. This is just another person trying to get attention

not true. they take devices like this out for field testing. have from day one.

mind you not just anyone can take one but still there's probably 20 or so folks with the ability
  • Reply 75 of 79
    dcdttudcdttu Posts: 25member
    There was the iPhone, it was 2G. Then there was the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, which were 3G because they were capable of WCDMA. The next iPhone will NOT be the iPhone 4G, as it won't run on 4G networks.

If you want a 4G phone, look to the Evo 4G.
  • Reply 76 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdttu View Post

There was the iPhone, it was 2G. Then there was the iPhone 3G and 3Gs, which were 3G because they were capable of WCDMA. The next iPhone will NOT be the iPhone 4G, as it won't run on 4G networks.

If you want a 4G phone, look to the Evo 4G.

The 'G' stands for generation and the formation or xG where x equals the sequential number value of the generation pre-dates cellular technology. While confusing ? which is why I use G3, G4, etc. ? it's not incorrect usage.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Not to mention their parent company has already jumped up to offer money for leaks despite various laws and did it again, making it possible that either

1. someone saw it in use and lifted it

2. the person that had it sold it in violation of the NDA etc and just claimed to have lost it.

there's a part of me that wonders if Apple saw the tweets and arranged for this leak to catch them up. and whether that would be considered entrapment.

Plausible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

not true. they take devices like this out for field testing. have from day one.

mind you not just anyone can take one but still there's probably 20 or so folks with the ability

As do AT&T engineers. Might be more than 20, as they test them across the country and in many different settings.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    If this is true, then they are rewarding a thief. Not only that, someone is most likely going to lose a job. How hard would it be to hold onto the phone, and wait for the owner to call? Regardless of it's value, it's not yours, and this will eventually come full circle. I hope the money was worth it. Loser.
  • Reply 79 of 79
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neil_ws_12 View Post

If this is true, then they are rewarding a thief. Not only that, someone is most likely going to lose a job. How hard would it be to hold onto the phone, and wait for the owner to call? Regardless of it's value, it's not yours, and this will eventually come full circle. I hope the money was worth it. Loser.

How exactly would the owner call him, given that the phone was deactivated and wiped?

What he should have done was call the bar the next day to find out if anyone had called them looking for a phone. Apparently the Apple employee did call the bar.