Apple asks for iPhone prototype back, Gizmodo could face UTSA lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 61 of 364
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mael View Post

Just as a matter of interest, the proof you are talking about, do you have a link to the source information?

I have re-read the Giz stories and can see that quote, but if you get a 'ticket' surely you would post that as further evidence.

Not sure I would if I was Gizmodo - playing all cards might be better held in case they were needed later. Ooooo but here's the NYT and it's got all kinds of goodies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/te...ref=technology

Bunch of hacks those NYT writers. They'll believe everything I guess.
  • Reply 62 of 364
    I hope they get sued so hard they go bankrupt. That'll teach them and others not to do this again in the future. It really takes away from the Apple experience i'm sure we all love when they release new products. I personally prefer tiny clues as to what might or might not be included into future devices, not this, I find this one of the most selfish acts ever, indeed trying to make a name for themselves. They have no respect for a companies way of doing things, in this case Apple's secrecy. I'm very glad to hear Apple will not let this happen just like that. I really hope they will be hard on Gizmodo. I mean look what they've done! WTF striking with the honor?
  • Reply 63 of 364
    maelmael Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorBenway View Post

Not sure I would if I was Gizmodo - playing all cards might be better held in case they were needed later. Ooooo but here's the NYT and it's got all kinds of goodies:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/20/te...ref=technology

Bunch of hacks those NYT writers. They'll believe everything I guess.

So your answer would be no then?

Just seems odd, with all of their taunting language, that they would not 'spike the ball' as it were.

Also the NYT article doesn't seem to have any goodies? Is there another perhaps?

I'm starting to wonder if you really are indeed a Doctor.
  • Reply 64 of 364
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maaubel View Post

I hope they get sued so hard they go bankrupt. That'll teach them and others not to do this again in the future. It really takes away from the Apple experience i'm sure we all love when they release new products. I personally prefer tiny clues as to what might or might not be included into future devices, not this, I find this one of the most selfish acts ever, indeed trying to make a name for themselves. They have no respect for a companies way of doing things, in this case Apple's secrecy. I'm very glad to hear Apple will not let this happen just like that. I really hope they will be hard on Gizmodo. I mean look what they've done! WTF striking with the honor? Scumbags...pathetic idiots there, know your limits...geez

Yes it is a bit like seeing your Christmas presents before they are wrapped and put under the tree.

But you know, you can simply not read those articles.
  • Reply 65 of 364
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mael View Post

So your answer would be no then?

Just seems odd, with all of their taunting language, that they would not 'spike the ball' as it were.

Also the NYT article doesn't seem to have any goodies? Is there another perhaps?

I'm starting to wonder if you really are indeed a Doctor.

Steve Jobs calling isn't a goodie? On what planet?

And read some book by William S Burroughs. Life is too short not to.
  • Reply 66 of 364
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

And here I thought people needed lawyers for practicing law!

Well now we know - it's very simple. Thank you for setting us straight. hey everyone, you can represent yourself in court now! It's so simple!

In this case it is that simple.

Both the finder and gizmo knew what they had.

Apple's address is public knowledge.

Go to post office, place in a box, attach note and send requesting a return receipt

Yes, you are correct- simple, moral, ethical and legal.
  • Reply 67 of 364
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maaubel View Post

I hope they get sued so hard they go bankrupt. That'll teach them and others not to do this again in the future. It really takes away from the Apple experience i'm sure we all love when they release new products. I personally prefer tiny clues as to what might or might not be included into future devices, not this, I find this one of the most selfish acts ever, indeed trying to make a name for themselves. They have no respect for a companies way of doing things, in this case Apple's secrecy. I'm very glad to hear Apple will not let this happen just like that. I really hope they will be hard on Gizmodo. I mean look what they've done! WTF striking with the honor? Scumbags...pathetic idiots there, know your limits...geez

Nothing opens a big can of worms like a frivolous lawsuit! As George Bush (certainly a wise man - har har) said, "bring it on"!

Do it Apple we want to hear all about it!
  • Reply 68 of 364
    I don't get it.

You fanatics....This is like breaking into your parents or partners wardrobe to rip the wrapping and peek at a present way before the day.

What do you get out of it? A celebratory day with a present you knew you were going to get.

Pointless.

Gizmodo should be castigated for spoiling a fun day and impropriety.

I feel for the bloke who left it at the bar. He must have been going through hell. If Gizmodo knew they had a prototype did they have no empathy for the poor blighter who was likely to get a roasting for his carelessness.

Journalism is only valid if it acknowledges morality. AppleInsider is just as culpable in this disgraceful behaviour as any other web-site who chose to expose what was obviously a trade secret. This wasn't some Republican politician caught sodomising a minor the day after giving a speech on the importance of family, law and order.

This was someone's property and the original owner should have been contacted or the item handed to the police.

I don't care who the originating company was, it clearly wasn't a commercially available product, didn't threaten local or national security and as such the whole matter should have been handled with respect and integrity.
  • Reply 69 of 364
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

I, for one, welcomes the death to gizmodo.

I wonder if Gizmodo is still bookmarked on Steve's iPad?...

http://www.9to5mac.com/steve-jobs-ipad-bookmarks-345983
  • Reply 70 of 364
    I don't know about Cali. , but in Ga. we have a law for Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property 16-8-6. Just because you find something does not mean you can keep it.
  • Reply 71 of 364
    Quote:

Steve Jobs calling isn't a goodie? On what planet?

And read some book by William S Burroughs. Life is too short not to.

It's not really a goodie when it's been posted elsewhere. The way you stated 'some goodies in there' I was thinking of some dramatic investigative type information.

Plus I have and am aware of the character, but I am not as enamoured with his works as others would seem to be.
  • Reply 72 of 364
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I wonder if Gizmodo is still bookmarked on Steve's iPad?...

http://www.9to5mac.com/steve-jobs-ipad-bookmarks-345983

I bet they are on his 'To Do' List
  • Reply 73 of 364
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Maybe I'm just a mere simpleton, but I think that you people crying for the death of Gizmodo or any other nonsense need to chill out.

We all love the iPhone, we were all eager to see the next gen iPhone, and you folks GLADLY went to Gizmodo, sucked up all the images/video and became engrossed in all of the regurgitated stories here on AI.

Now all of a sudden, after you've gotten what you want, you want to burn Gizmodo at the stake. Puhlease!!
  • Reply 74 of 364
    jont-ukjont-uk Posts: 25member
    Without getting in to the legalities of what Gizmodo did or didn't do ... they might end up the good guy in this ... By paying $5k for the iPhone and being quite public about having it, they kept it away from the likes of Nokia or HTC who probably would have paid six figures to get their hands on that iPhone months ahead of release !!

Whilst it is a PR disaster for Apples much-vaunted veil of secrecy - it could have been much worse for them ...

Jon (who actually can't wait to buy a 4g having seen it now ;-)
  • Reply 75 of 364
    I'm sorry, but this all reeks of a PR stunt (with Apple's blessing) to me.

If it weren't, Apple would have nuked the site from orbit yesterday morning. They would have demanded all images be removed and worry about how it got out there second.

How interesting that very positive reviews of the HTC Incredible began coming out yesterday...
  • Reply 76 of 364
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

They are so blankety blank blank.

Anybody that thinks Apple won't make an example out of them doesn't know Apple. Where's Think Secret? Where's Psystar?

Counterexamples to Think Secret are 9 to 5 Mac, Apple Insider itself, and MacRumors. On the Psystar side you have PearC, Bison Computer, and a handful of mac cloners still lurking about.
  • Reply 77 of 364
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Gizmodo is one of the worst blogs in technology. An average post of theirs consists of about 50 words, with almost no editorial or serious analysis.

Please sue these guys, Apple. It serves them right for buying a secret prototype so as to generate millions of visitors that they do not even need because their readership is far too high for the low quality of the site.

Engadget is not great either, but at least they have plenty of thorough reviews and AUTHORIZED leaks from manufacturers.
  • Reply 78 of 364
    hexorhexor Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But Apple's competitors (such as Google) now have advance knowledge of what the next iPhone will be, possibly several months ahead of time. This could give them direction in their own designs.

This is exactly the problem and one of the main reasons Apple is so vigilant about keeping secrets. This affects what competitors are going to be doing. We just got over hearing earlier this year how every company that was going to come out with a "tablet" computer was waiting until Apple revealed what theirs was going to be like. What if someone revealed what the iPad was like 3 months earlier to give those competitors time to have something ready now???

Its just like a third party accomplice at a high stakes poker game revealing to you what cards the best player at the table holds.
  • Reply 79 of 364
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jont-uk View Post

By paying $5k for the iPhone and being quite public about having it, they kept it away from the likes of Nokia or HTC who probably would have paid six figures to get their hands on that iPhone months ahead of release !!

That makes a lot of sense. Instead of exposing the prototype to one manufacturer like Nokia, Gizmodo publicized the device to the entire world. How philanthropic of them.

Gizmodo is crap. They would post a picture of crap if it could grab attention away from Engadget and Slashgear.
  • Reply 80 of 364
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stormj View Post

Honestly, though, given all of the blowback against Apple going on lately, I wonder if they don't decide from a PR perspective to go soft here, still the precedent... oy....

And what "blowback" is going on against Apple exactly? The same "blowback" that trolls and tech wannabes are constantly spewing? The whining of the spectards? The threats of self-important developers?