Where's the DELETE ALL email button like BB & HTC has?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I think this must be the second most searched iPhone OS question on Google besides multitasking. Gazillions of people asking about it on all sorts of forums. Most of the threads are 2008-2009 and after that people gave up and new searchers are merely reading those same 2008-2009 threads.

Using POP, IMAP or Exchange aside, there should be a defualt DELETE ALL email button. It's the most obvious button any mobile email program should have. If you read those threads people are talking about hundreds or thousands of emails opening up when setting up the email account on iPhone Mail.app. Obviously people want to be able to delete all those emails they've already opened on their desktops. Most people don't need copies of ALL their desktop email on their mobile device. Only the new ones that come in. A lot of email providers don't have IMAP so those people that have to use POP need a way to delete all those emails.

All preferences and settings aside, this should be an obvious feature for any mobile device and it is on HTC and BB (not that I'd buy them, but still). How could this be overlooked by Apple?

Right now there are only two ways to delete emails. swipe and click the red delete button or click the top right edit button and check ALL the emails you want delete (could be in the thousands) and then click delete. Both of these methods are ridiculous.

The trash box has a DELETE ALL button!! Why doesn't the INBOX have it?

Please tell me this is fixed in OS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Has anyone heard if this will be fixed in OS 4?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Huh? Why would anyone want this?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Huh? Why would anyone want this?

Well the presence of a delete email option exists (only one email at a time) which shows that even Apple thinks it's important. Problem is they didn't implement it correctly. You have to click edit then click EVERY email one by one then click delete again. If I need to delete 500 emails that would take hours. One needs to delete this many emails if they have set up POP mail because it automatically imports ALL emails in your inbox regardless of if they've been read or not. This is just ONE reason why it would be useful.

It's also included in HTC and BB phones so it's obviously used by millions and it's a standard option on desktop mail so....
  • Reply 5 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Well the presence of a delete email option exists (only one email at a time) which shows that even Apple thinks it's important. Problem is they didn't implement it correctly. You have to click edit then click EVERY email one by one then click delete again. If I need to delete 500 emails that would take hours. One needs to delete this many emails if they have set up POP mail because it automatically imports ALL emails in your inbox regardless of if they've been read or not. This is just ONE reason why it would be useful.

It's also included in HTC and BB phones so it's obviously used by millions and it's a standard option on desktop mail so....

I guess I fail to see the reason for this feature since i wouldn't want to ever delete my whole inbox. If they ever do implement it I hope they make the button a few taps deep so I don't accidentally wipe my mail. But I can see how this would be useful for POP inboxes where there is still a copy on the server.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Log in to your email from your desktop computer (the library has one if you don't) and delete them from there???

How many people use an iPhone as their SOLE eMail source???
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Log in to your email from your desktop computer (the library has one if you don't) and delete them from there???

How many people use an iPhone as their SOLE eMail source???

Thousands of people have mentioned this already LOL Many people keep all email in the inbox. Say 1,000 emails. Keyword is KEEP. If they were ok with deleting them via desktop inbox in the first place then they wouldn't be creating these threads requesting a delete button.

Apple already put a DELETE ALL button for the TRASH box. They forgot to make one for the INBOX.

And if you're thinking Apple left it out purposely for safety well that's pretty lame too because it's no different than having a confirmation window for the Mac desktop trash. It can be implemented just as easily. If you delete your email by mistake after pressing ok in the confirmation dialogue (don't know how anyone would be that dense), then I guess you have other issues other than a delete button.