Apple profits rise over 89% on sales of 2.94M Macs, 8.75M iPhones

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple said Tuesday that second-quarter profits rose nearly 90 percent to $3.07 billion, or $3.33 per diluted share, on record non-holiday quarter sales of $13.50 billion for the three-month period ended March*27, 2010.

These results compare to revenue of $9.08 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.62 billion, or $1.79 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 41.7 percent, up from 39.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarter’s revenue.

Apple sold 2.94*million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 8.75*million iPhones in the quarter, representing 131 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. iPod sales came in at 10.89*million units, representing a one percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.

"We’re thrilled to report our best non-holiday quarter ever, with revenues up 49 percent and profits up 90 percent," said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. "We’ve launched our revolutionary new iPad and users are loving it, and we have several more extraordinary products in the pipeline for this year."

"Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $13.0 billion to $13.4 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $2.28 to $2.39," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2010 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT, 5:00 pm ET . AppleInsider will provide live running coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 138
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Come on AAPL $300!!!!
  • Reply 2 of 138
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Congratz!

I know this isn't the place for it but since this post will likely be seen by lots of readers...

- Anyone else wonder why Apple didn't issue an IMMEDIATE C&D Letter from its legal group the second Gizmodo posted the photos of the prototype?

- Anyone else wonder why those photos are STILL being shown?

Finally

- Does Apples inaction in anyway lessen their ability to go after Gizmodo?

PLEASE!!! Post any replies in the Gizmodo discussion thread... not here...
  • Reply 3 of 138
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    And I still kick myself today that I did not buy Apple stock when it was at $88...
  • Reply 4 of 138
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Beat the Street by 36%. Not bad, not bad at all.

Once again, the score card... to see who came close.

• Reply 5 of 138
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Amazing.

"We?ve launched our revolutionary new iPad and users are loving it, and we have several more extraordinary products in the pipeline for this year including the one you saw yesterday."

j/k
  • Reply 6 of 138
    This is THE Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever!!!
  • Reply 7 of 138
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Beat the Street by 36%. Not bad, not bad at all.

Once again, the score card... to see who came close.

Yup, not bad at all.
  • Reply 8 of 138
    Sheesh. That is some performance. Execution par excellence.

Stock up >$18 (not a typo).
  • Reply 9 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giosaccone View Post

This is THE Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever!!!

It always is. Then later, it will be the best quarter.
  • Reply 10 of 138
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Wow!

And yet, Apple stock has been down the past few days. It's boggles the mind.

CGC

Most analysts were not even close.
  • Reply 11 of 138
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Holy

Cow!
  • Reply 12 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryn View Post

And I still kick myself today that I did not buy Apple stock when it was at $88...

Regret is such a useless emotion.

But I do hope you're not going to say the same thing some day about $243......
  • Reply 13 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It's funny how it went down today and yesterday on the basis of Apple not beating expectations. The NY Times had an article today about how Apple needs to top itself in investors eyes for the stock to keep climbing.
  • Reply 14 of 138
    Oh, I forgot.....

Apple is doomed!?
  • Reply 15 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's funny how it went down today and yesterday on the basis of Apple not beating expectations. The NY Times had an article today about how Apple needs to top itself in investors eyes for the stock to keep climbing.

And, TOP (with a capital T, O, and P) they did!
  • Reply 16 of 138
    Quote:

It always is. Then later, it will be the best quarter.

A company has to keep on having "best quarters ever" or they are going backwards, and investors don't like backwards earnings growth. But what's so staggering about AAPL is the consistency of EPS growth over the past few years. Mind boggling, more like.
  • Reply 17 of 138
    Makes their price rises on the Macbook pro's that much more obscene. As well at the $120 ripoff for the iPad with a 3G chip.

And $50 billion in pure profit sitting in a bank, and not a penny going back to the stockholders.
  • Reply 18 of 138
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And they wonder why we love Apple and SJ
  • Reply 19 of 138
    Quote:

I think we tend to see a lot of hedging by institutions ahead of earnings reports, especially on a stock that has performed so well over just the last month. They take some money off the table just to be safe.
  • Reply 20 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

A company has to keep on having "best quarters ever" or they are going backwards, and investors don't like backwards earnings growth. But what's so staggering about AAPL is the consistency of EPS growth over the past few years. Mind boggling, more like.

Next quarter should be very interesting for Apple as this past quarter is the worst quarter for the year, historically, and includes no revenue from iPad sales, or sales from the iPad app store.

They also blew through the iPhone sales projections. And I mean BLEW!

iPod sales numbers are a nice surprise as well. I wonder if iTouch sales were responsible for the tiny 1% drop.

Too bad we were 60,000 Mac sales short of 3 million.

And Ara Technica is having a live blog of the call, which has just started.