Emailed Documents

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hopefully I am not rehashing an old subject. I just purchased an Ipad for the main reason of using attached legal documents to emails and then reading them on an airplane. Is there a method by which I can download the documents and have it on the Ipad so I can read the documents when there is no wifi connection.

I really appreciate your input.

Richard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If it doesn't stay in email even offline (I'd think it would, but I don't have my ipad here to try it), you can use an app like goodreader. It's been the number one app on the ipad app store for a few days now, and does exactly the kinds of things you're trying to do.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    GoodReader is the best solution to this problem as of now. With it you can connect via wifi to your iPad and drag entire folders of documents to the iPad. The best $0.99 investment you can make.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

GoodReader is the best solution to this problem as of now. With it you can connect via wifi to your iPad and drag entire folders of documents to the iPad. The best $0.99 investment you can make.

When you say drag, do you mean drag into the Pages app or onto the desktop of the Ipad?

Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Exhaloprez View Post

When you say drag, do you mean drag into the Pages app or onto the desktop of the Ipad?

Thanks.

Neither. It works this way:

On the iPad, start GoodReader and tap on the wifi icon. A dialog box gives you the IP number of the iPad. Then on your Mac, use the Finder to Connect to Server, and type in the IP number of the iPad. After connecting, a Finder window opens on the Mac showing the content of GoodReader's folder on the iPad. Drag files, even entire folders of files, into this folder. They can now be opened in GoodReader on the iPad. This works for any file type supported, which are several, but does not include Pages (PDF is best IMO).

If you have iPad Pages and want to open Pages documents on the iPad, this is done in iTunes, under the Apps tab. Unfortunately you can only add them one at a time this way (AFAIK).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Neither. It works this way:

On the iPad, start GoodReader and tap on the wifi icon. A dialog box gives you the IP number of the iPad. Then on your Mac, use the Finder to Connect to Server, and type in the IP number of the iPad. After connecting, a Finder window opens on the Mac showing the content of GoodReader's folder on the iPad. Drag files, even entire folders of files, into this folder. They can now be opened in GoodReader on the iPad. This works for any file type supported, which are several, but does not include Pages (PDF is best IMO).

If you have iPad Pages and want to open Pages documents on the iPad, this is done in iTunes, under the Apps tab. Unfortunately you can only add them one at a time this way (AFAIK).

Thank you for you excellent instructions HOWEVER I have encountered a problem. I performed the steps you set forth but the documents wound up in Goodreader are pdf-1.gif, pdf-2.gif, etc and will not open in Goodreader. What can I do?

Thanks again.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Thank you for you excellent instructions HOWEVER I have encountered a problem. I performed the steps you set forth but the documents wound up in Goodreader are pdf-1.gif, pdf-2.gif, etc and will not open in Goodreader. What can I do?

Thanks again.

Are you sure you created PDF files? Are they GIF files on your Mac?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Are you sure you created PDF files? Are they GIF files on your Mac?

I received emails to my google email account with attached pdf files. I then dragged those pdf files as you instructed but when they appeared on Goodreader they showed up as pdf-1.gif.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

I received emails to my google email account with attached pdf files. I then dragged those pdf files as you instructed but when they appeared on Goodreader they showed up as pdf-1.gif.

Try dragging them to the Mac desktop first. Get Info to find out if they are indeed PDF files. I think they probably aren't.