Apple strikes back at Adobe, says Flash is 'closed and proprietary'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 281
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk" - Steve Jobs

Price of an iPad - $499

Jobs & Co refer to the iPad as a mobile device. It's not a computer. It's a tablet built primarily for consumption of media.

Thompson
  • Reply 22 of 281
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    i have had a love-hate relationship with adobe throughout the years. but realistically though, they won't be going away soon.

if adobe would just put their d*cks back in their pants admit they've been resting on their laurels and say to apple, 'hey guys, we want to be at the forefront in software innovation and we'd like your help in getting us there because you guys are writing the book on forward thinking...' they could be a kick-ass company. probably won't happen.

so...what are some good alternatives to photoshop, illustrator and indesign? and, please don't say quark.
  • Reply 23 of 281
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Where are the usual Flash apologists now that Adobe has caved?

If they actually caved on anything, you might even have a point.
  • Reply 24 of 281
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post

I find that a very funny statement coming from Apple. Didn?t they just squelch a company for selling hardware with Apple OS on them. They also have no open market for software developers within the IPhone only what they approve of. Pot calling the Kettle black I would say...

Well, Apple's point of view is that they have every right to keep their own systems closed and proprietary but that Adobe is actually foisting a closed and proprietary standard on the internet, and thus onto everyone's systems.

I'm with Apple on this one.

Thompson
  • Reply 25 of 281
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Wow, did anyone else see how fast that NoToApple Troll's post got yanked off the site?
  • Reply 26 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

... It's interesting to see Google begin to cave on open internet as well (embracing Flash on Android) ...

Yeah, only a few people have picked up on it so far, but how stupid is it that Google, the "champion of open source" is now the number one thing standing in the way of a completely open web. If they dropped Flash support on Android, Adobe would be forced to cave on making HTML 5 tools and Flash would be old news in a couple of years at most. Instead they chose to prop up proprietary software because it's in their financial interests to do so. Wow.

Way to "not be evil," Google.
  • Reply 27 of 281
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post

I find that a very funny statement coming from Apple. Didn?t they just squelch a company for selling hardware with Apple OS on them. They also have no open market for software developers within the IPhone only what they approve of. Pot calling the Kettle black I would say...

Sir

May I have your social security number? Seeing as how you obviously are a bastion of openness.

I'm having a hard time seeing the correlation between a company buying your off the shelf OS and installing it on hacked hardware for profit.

Open Markets have their place. The Internet is a communication medium so I think it's appropriate to skew towards keeping as much open.
  • Reply 28 of 281
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    OTOH, this could be a tactic Apple is pulling to devalue Adobe to the point where it becomes a nice takeover target.
  • Reply 29 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Wow, did anyone else see how fast that NoToApple Troll's post got yanked off the site?

heheheh call me "Quick Draw McGraw"

(Pistol crack)
  • Reply 30 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The only people calling it a computer are those criticizing it. It's a media consumption device with a few "computer-like" features built in. If you want an Apple computer that is a computer be prepared to pay $1K.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Jobs & Co refer to the iPad as a mobile device. It's not a computer. It's a tablet built primarily for consumption of media.

I think you guys are both just making arbitrary distinctions that don't mean very much. Also, the implication that Steve Jobs or Apple agrees with these distinctions is wrong.

The iPad is most definitely a computer in the technical sense and colloquially, it's a computer to most people who use/buy it.
  • Reply 31 of 281
    milfordmilford Posts: 26member
    "Closed and proprietary"! Hilarious.
  • Reply 32 of 281
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:

I hope Apple plop the iphone on Verizon. Then android is dead meat.

Love your wording. Once again I pray for the day when iPhone is the only phone on the market...and flash is dead...
  • Reply 33 of 281
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Meh, Adobe dosn't need Apple. They have over 90% of the computers in the world using Flash. They must be doing something right. Besides, there are many things you can do with flash that you won't be able to do with HTML 5. You can do many of the things Flash does with current standards, but you don't see anyone doing it. Why? because Flash is better. You are still going to have to have a browser and hardware to support the new standard. Who is to say the browser is going to be able to pull of HTML 5 and do it better than flash on devices like the iPhone. If something is flaky, it's most likely what a programmer wrote, and not anything wrong with Flash. Apple dosn't seem to have tried to help them up to this point, and then they want to complain and say it dosn't work well and they won't use it... They have an agenda. They tried to stall others like HTC with lawsuits to try to buy time to get their next product to market before the competition. They will not allow flash on their products because it ruins their monoply of control. Flash would allow users to run flash games that do not need to be installed, thus you can circumvent the app store. The are also preparing to launch a video service, so again, Flash is competition to that. Look at what others are doing. Microsoft and Linux are not abandoning flash, but they are going to adopt the new stardard. The people can choose to stop using flash on their own if something better comes along. We don't need Steve making more decisions for everyone as if he knows what is best for ever single unique person out there.
  • Reply 34 of 281
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Adobe's market cap is 18bil. Apple could buy them today and dissolve flash
  • Reply 35 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soskok View Post

Love your wording. Once again I pray for the day when iPhone is the only phone on the market...and flash is dead...

Wow.....um what do you say to something like that. I hope I never meet someone like this in real life. I will think twice now when I see someone using an iPhone.
  • Reply 36 of 281
    Quote:

Meh, Adobe dosn't need Apple. They have over 90% of the computers in the world using Flash. They must be doing something right. Besides, there are many things you can do with flash that you won't be able to do with HTML 5. You can do many of the things Flash does with current standards, but you don't see anyone doing it. Why? because Flash is better. You are still going to have to have a browser and hardware to support the new standard. Who is to say the browser is going to be able to pull of HTML 5 and do it better than flash on devices like the iPhone. If something is flaky, it's most likely what a programmer wrote, and not anything wrong with Flash. Apple dosn't seem to have tried to help them up to this point, and then they want to complain and say it dosn't work well and they won't use it... They have an agenda. They tried to stall others like HTC with lawsuits to try to buy time to get their next product to market before the competition. They will not allow flash on their products because it ruins their monoply of control. Flash would allow users to run flash games that do not need to be installed, thus you can circumvent the app store. The are also preparing to launch a video service, so again, Flash is competition to that. Look at what others are doing. Microsoft and Linux are not abandoning flash, but they are going to adopt the new stardard. The people can choose to stop using flash on their own if something better comes along. We don't need Steve making more decisions for everyone as if he knows what is best for ever single unique person out there.

Paragraphs are your friend.

• Reply 37 of 281
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk" - Steve Jobs

Price of an iPad - $499

They did not.

P.S. die Apple haters
  • Reply 38 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I think you guys are both just making arbitrary distinctions that don't mean very much. Also, the implication that Steve Jobs or Apple agrees with these distinctions is wrong.

The iPad is most definitely a computer in the technical sense and colloquially, it's a computer to most people who use/buy it.

Yep....Fanboy responses...Love how they get so irrational. It's one heck of a coping mechanisim to help look past possible shortcomings or flaws....I'll just have a glass of water please.
  • Reply 39 of 281
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Price of an iPad - $499

I guess they learned.
  • Reply 40 of 281
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

We may both be right. Most people who buy computers don't need/use all the capabilities that it has. They just want to do email and look at stuff (web pages, facebook, pictures, and movies. Apple has created a new class of device for that. Okay, call it a computer colloquially if you want, but they are doing very little computation. By your definition maybe even the iPhone is a computer. And that's okay, but it stretches the term computer too far. We need new words that make descriptive distinctions between all the computer-like devices out there now.

For those who produce (as opposed to consume) things, a computer that can easily create content is essential. Ask anyone who has tried to build a Keynote presentation from scratch on an iPad. Very difficult. Same thing with editing media. Heck, even sharing a document and printing are not not easy.

I will get an iPad (probably v2). And it will take the place of my iPhone for some things, and my laptop for others. But not everything for both. It's not a computer, it's a tablet or slate.