Apple strikes back at Adobe, says Flash is 'closed and proprietary'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 281
    Wow! How hostile you people are. If only you really new what Adobe was really offering and how superior it's development environment is to Apple's. You know it doesn't just do advertisements and games. That's just the crappy stuff that any idiot could make with Flash. I work for an top notch automaker developing in Flash. You want to know what we use Flash for? We develop interactive training material that shows technicians how cars work and how to fix them. We have been developing an ongoing curriculum for the past five years. We have won numerous awards for our animations, interactivity, and artwork.

So what does Flash do for us? Not only is it a platform that allows us to create animations that show the innards of a car, but it is used to test the technician, keep track of their scores, grade them and submit their stats to a database that the corporation uses to track their technicians progress and skills.

We also wrote a side app the track the hours and cost of the development of each training module that we develop.

The modules are designed to be fully translatable.

To get the same thing out of objective-c, HTML5, CSS, and/or Javascript would be unfeasible. First of all, there's no animation timeline that can be used to create the animation. There's no Tweening, There aren't any filters, and so in order to create an entire animation would require making it into a MP4 format. The result?? A massively huge file that only those with fast broadband could view. Javascript could animate through code, but it still would be missing many of the key aspects required to create shape tweens, and filters.

So, why is HTML5 so superior? It's not. If you knew anything about Flash, you would know that HTML5 is still HTML. It might play videos, but it's not good for much else. Supplement it with Javascript, and you still don't have superiority over flash. It's just not ready for that level of work.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of Open Source, and maybe Adobe will open source all of Flash (FYI... Part of Flash is open source).

Why they ever catch up to Flash? As long as Flash is being aggressively pushed by I Adobe, I don't see that happening.

Apple's latest move is just spiteful. You weren't going to get Flash, but you would have gotten apps developed in the innovative Flash environment, which I believe would mean better quality Apps with cool transitions and effects. The app would have been Native.... And I do mean Native. Early tests showed that it was also fast.

The stability? That generally comes down to the developer. How well the program the app and how much time they put into debugging. Objective-C programming can be butchered just as badly as any other programming language. It really doesn't matter what language a program is written in. As long as it's written well.

My point? You have no idea what you are missing. But I guess it doesn't matter does it. If you don't know what your missing, then you don't miss it do you?!

Adobe's Position - Write software in Flash and deploy it on multiple platforms at the sametime so that everyone can enjoy and benefit.

Apple's Position - We'll have none of that. We're too good for that.

Good luck with that position.
  • Reply 42 of 281
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post

I find that a very funny statement coming from Apple. Didn?t they just squelch a company for selling hardware with Apple OS on them. They also have no open market for software developers within the IPhone only what they approve of. Pot calling the Kettle black I would say...

Nothing funny. If i was a junky (and i was long time ago) my critics on you being junky would not really matter as we are the same. That is the thing that is wrong in Adobes comments.

P.S. would not it be a huge cash saver for adobe to adopt flash to mac os? i know nothing...
  • Reply 43 of 281
    drubledruble Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Jobs & Co refer to the iPad as a mobile device. It's not a computer. It's a tablet built primarily for consumption of media.

Thompson

Lets see....It has a processor, it has RAM, it has storage, it has inputs, and outputs to a typical computer screen, it runs the same programs that can be found on computers, You write the programs with the same language that you write computer programs with....Sounds like a computer to me. It's only a matter of time before someone puts Linux on it.....Not a computer? You can call cake by any name you want, but it's still cake.
  • Reply 44 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

We may both be right. Most people who buy computers don't need/use as the capabilities that it has. They just want to do email and look at stuff (web pages, facebook, pictures, and movies. Apple has created a new class of device for that. Okay, call it a computer colloquially if you want, but they are doing very little computation. By your definition maybe even the iPhone is a computer. And that's okay, but it stretches the term computer too far. We need new words that make descriptive distinctions between all the computer-like devices out there now.

For those who produce (as opposed to consume) things, a computer that can easily create content is essential. Ask anyone who has tried to build a Keynote presentation from scratch on an iPad. Very difficult. Same thing with editing media. Heck, even sharing a document and printing are not not easy.

I will get an iPad (probably v2). And it will take the place of my iPhone for some things, and my laptop for others. But not everything for both. It's not a computer, it's a tablet or slate.

A smartphone IS a computer........ A Smartphone is a combination of a Palm top computer and a phone....... In the same sense, an iTouch is a computer too. All it is is a palmtop computer that is marketed as a video/audio device.
  • Reply 45 of 281
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by druble View Post

Yep....Fanboy responses...Love how they get so irrational. It's one heck of a coping mechanisim to help look past possible shortcomings or flaws....I'll just have a glass of water please.

Oh, and you're not? Read your own brown nosing Adobe post.
  • Reply 46 of 281
    I love Apple's products as much as the next fanboy, but it's "the pot calling the kettle black" here. Both Apple and Adobe have closed systems. For the most part, companies want open systems, not consumers. I think Flash will be fine on Android in the Enterprise.

Just imagine Steve saying "Today Apple is announcing our new iPhone 4G AND other hardware partners to produce iPhone OS compatible devices including HTC." Meanwhile, the HTC lawsuit is dropped and has guaranteed revenue from Apple for a year.
  • Reply 47 of 281
    soskoksoskok Posts: 107member
    Quote:

meh, adobe dosn't need apple. They have over 90% of the computers in the world using flash. They must be doing something right. Besides, there are many things you can do with flash that you won't be able to do with html 5.

yet!!!
  • Reply 48 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Paragraphs are your friend.

Aww come on now I read through several of your posts that did not contain paragraphs. Your writing style looks like one line paragraphs. Paragraphs are usually around 4 sentances.
  • Reply 49 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blullama View Post

Adobe's Position - Write software in Flash and deploy it on multiple platforms at the sametime so that everyone can enjoy and benefit.

Interesting post, but too bad you didn't put as much effort into articulating the reasons behind Apple's position instead of just drawing a mustache on it.
  • Reply 50 of 281
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    The more Apple slags on Adobe, the worse it is for Adobe. I'm kinda beginning to feel sorry for them now.
  • Reply 51 of 281
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Meh, Adobe dosn't need Apple. They have over 90% of the computers in the world using Flash. They must be doing something right.

Yes they are doing something right on the desktops. But they do not have 90% of mobile devices. They have 0% of "real" flash mobile. This is why they are in panic mode and making unthoughtful comments.

Flash lite is a joke ... and the phones i've seen that claim to have flash 9 and 10 do not work on sites I went to.

Can someone demonstrate to me that their phone with flash 9 and 10 work on flash websites? We already know flash lite does not work. I've been open minded and tried to find an answer to this, but so far no dice.

I love flash for desktop and use flash in 100% of website i've developed. The sad fact is that I have to have a static image show up when flash is not available on the phones to avoid the dreaded white boxes.

The question is what do i do when html5 comes out full bore in IE? I would never consider html 5 in browser markets current state. IE owns the browser business and will dictate the technologies we employ (unfortunately). html5 doesn't work with IE8 and under!
  • Reply 52 of 281
    Quote:

A smartphone IS a computer........ A Smartphone is a combination of a Palm top computer and a phone....... In the same sense, an iTouch is a computer too. All it is is a palmtop computer that is marketed as a video/audio device.

You seem to want to be right very badly. Okay, you're right. Now go away.
  • Reply 53 of 281
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

Adobe had better pray that there is never an iPhone on Verizon because the Droid is the only reason why Android has any market share.

Not true. Apple has been annoying enough lately that I might switch to the Droid next time I upgrade. I'm an adult and I don't need Steve Jobs telling me what apps I can and can not load onto my device, or what apps I can and cannot develop. Apple's approach is good for the timid and the elderly. It's like the Jitterbug of smart phones.
  • Reply 54 of 281
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

This will be taken care of next year is presume.

Tim Cook (I believe) all but said that there are only 3 areas where the iPhone has single carrier exclusity (Spain, US and another country).

Belgium.
  • Reply 55 of 281
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk" - Steve Jobs

Price of an iPad - $499

Not feeding this troll would be a good thing.

On the article, I do find it funny that apple has an issue with a closed platform, the iPhone/iPad API's os's are as closed as you can get, with the approval aspect. I am OK with it, but would not be throwing stones.
  • Reply 56 of 281
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Not true. Apple has been annoying enough lately that I might switch to the Droid next time I upgrade. I'm an adult and I don't need Steve Jobs telling me what apps I can and can not load onto my device, or what apps I can and cannot develop. Apple's approach is good for the timid and the elderly. It's like the Jitterbug of smart phones.

Funny how everyone wants to do the jitterbug, isn't it?
  • Reply 57 of 281
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post

I find that a very funny statement coming from Apple. Didn?t they just squelch a company for selling hardware with Apple OS on them. They also have no open market for software developers within the IPhone only what they approve of. Pot calling the Kettle black I would say...

There are plenty of other opportunities for developers to write software, if they don't like the rules, don't play the game.
  • Reply 58 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Oh, and you're not? Read your own brown nosing Adobe post.

I am far from a fanboy. Fanboy's typically spout off made up, or 3rd party information they they read from another person posting without confirming it. I don't see legtimatly defending a product from critisism as a Fanboy action. Fanboys say whatever they can if it is true or not, and write rationalizing statements to defend flaws and shortcomings in what they are defending.

I am merly stating what is fact that you CAN verify with some easy Google searches for those who are capable. I am sorry Apple feels the way they do, and I am even more sorry that some people are sheepish enough to agree with everything Apple does. Apple is walking on YOUR rights. They are taking away YOUR ability to choose. With Apple's devices in a controlled jail, they control content. Then control what you have have to consume content. They control how you will consume that content.

I know there are Apple users out there who are decent peace loving people who have a good head on their shoulders, but there are also ones out there who do not. If you truly dislike the product on your own, and not because Apple dosn't like it fine. But if you all of a suddent have a problem now that Apple has made headlines about it, I don't have the time of day for you. I would prefer someone real, and not a senseless follower...
  • Reply 59 of 281
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blullama View Post

Apple's latest move is just spiteful. You weren't going to get Flash, but you would have gotten apps developed in the innovative Flash environment, which I believe would mean better quality Apps with cool transitions and effects. The app would have been Native.... And I do mean Native. Early tests showed that it was also fast.

The stability? That generally comes down to the developer. How well the program the app and how much time they put into debugging. Objective-C programming can be butchered just as badly as any other programming language. It really doesn't matter what language a program is written in. As long as it's written well.

My point? You have no idea what you are missing. But I guess it doesn't matter does it. If you don't know what your missing, then you don't miss it do you?!

Apple's not railing against Flash in its entirety. Flash is and will continue to be a rich development and playback environment for Apple notebook and desktop platforms. What it "isn't" going to be is the ideal runtime for mobile environments.
  • Reply 60 of 281
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woode View Post

Where are the usual Flash apologists now that Adobe has caved?

Adobe stopped paying them...