Is/was Monsters Inc. any good

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Monsters Inc is (finally) out in the next week or two over here in the UK. I have a simple question for all the US readers of this board (who have been able to see the film for months). Is it worth seeing? How does it compare to Toy Story? Is it just a 'kids' film?

Anybody know why TS2 was digitally released similtaniously in Europe and the US and Monsters Inc., made & distributed by the same people is being done using the traditional film disto method (that sucks).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>Monsters Inc is (finally) out in the next week or two over here in the UK. I have a simple question for all the US readers of this board (who have been able to see the film for months). Is it worth seeing? How does it compare to Toy Story? Is it just a 'kids' film?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not just a kid's film. I thought it was funny and the 3D animation superb (what would you expect from Steve Jobs/Pixar?).

[quote]<strong>Anybody know why TS2 was digitally released similtaniously in Europe and the US and Monsters Inc., made & distributed by the same people is being done using the traditional film disto method (that sucks).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dunno about that. Wondering why Monsters Inc. took so long to come to your shores???

Whatever. It was worth the wait I'd say. See it!

• Reply 2 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I really loved it. I was bored one night so me and two others went to go see it. I thought it was really funny. Every Pixar movie I've seen I've loved.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I saw it twice. Great movie. I'm a bit of a Toy Story addict so I'm of course going to say Toy Story was better (1 and especially 2) but Monsters, Inc is right up there.

Both times I saw it at a special digital presentation at the Loews Time Square theater and the picture and sound were stunning. Only 2 theaters in my metro area had digital presentations
  • Reply 4 of 24
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    I second the comments above. Like all the Pixar movies, there's plenty of humor to keep "adults" entertained.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I'd put it in the "don't miss it" column. So much better than the other offerings this summer.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the thing I admire about Pixar is that they are funny on 2 levels (kids/adults) but they do it through great writing and wit rather than cheap humor such as a movie like Shrek which at times I really thought was what I would consider unsuitable for children. and for the most part I don't find the kind of humor used in Shrek that funny. I just laugh at how uncreative the writers are

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: applenut ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    applenut, I totally agree! I wasn't thoroughly impressed with Shrek like most everybody else I know.

To get back on topic, I really liked Monsters, Inc. too. It was another great Pixar movie, although I have to say I didn't think A Bugs Life was that wonderful. It was okay, sure, but nothing to write home about.

Yes, go see Monsters, Inc., and take a kid if you know one.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Monsters, Inc. is the only movie that made me cry twice in 2001. It's also the 2001 best movie I've seen. I haven't seen Fellowship of the Ring.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Go see it! I loved it, my son loved it. Everyone who has posted here so far loved it. Give in to peer pressure! Everybody's doing it!!

Seriously though, great movie, excellent rendering, especially of Sully. That hair on him, wow. And the story line was fun, but had enough seriousness and then comedy to keep it good for adults and kids alike. All I can say is... Welcome to the Himalayas! Snow Cone? Don't Worry, it's lemeon flavored...
  • Reply 10 of 24
    solishusolishu Posts: 124member
    Good movie. It's such a rarity in Amercican cinema to have a kids movie, much less an animated one, that expects its audience to have some semblance of intelligence.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    I haven't read any other replies, but I think it's one of the best animated films ever.

I loved it a lot.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Monsters, Inc. is the only movie that made me cry twice in 2001.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah at last, someone else who blubs at kids movies. I have never quite lived down the fact that i cried at the end of Toy Story (I was happy for the toys, God damn you!) Strangely, it was my wife who told all my friends. Still, i shall have my revenge by taking my five year old to Monsters, inc. next weekend, while she stays home watching Shrek with the two year old (Again! Again! Again!)
  • Reply 13 of 24
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jellytussle:

<strong>

Ah at last, someone else who blubs at kids movies. I have never quite lived down the fact that i cried at the end of Toy Story (I was happy for the toys, God damn you!) Strangely, it was my wife who told all my friends. Still, i shall have my revenge by taking my five year old to Monsters, inc. next weekend, while she stays home watching Shrek with the two year old (Again! Again! Again!)</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about the Toy Story 2 "When somebody loved me" song by Sara McLaughlin (sp?)

Tear jerker
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Monsters Inc. was definitely worth seeing. I would say it was spectacular compared to most movies today and very good on the whole. And I saw A Bug's Life and I thought it was not so great.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    [quote]Originally posted by JRC:

<strong>

How about the Toy Story 2 "When somebody loved me" song by Sara McLaughlin (sp?)

Tear jerker</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me watching that scene = weeped like a baby.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    This thread went gay.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Monster's Inc. was far better than Shrek. much more imaginative and engrossing and it's use of music was not painfully cliched.

Great openning short too
  • Reply 18 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>This thread went gay.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong>This thread went gay.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't hold back Scott, tell us what you really think. You never cry at movies?

Personally I have found that As i get older I cry a lot more in places where I would never have thought it so. Weird. Toy Story, yes, Monsters Inc, no (at least not that I remember). Prince Of Egypt, yes. Shrek, definitely no. Jimmy Neutron, (oddly enough and I am not sure why) yes. The list goes on. Crying is good for the soul, as is laughter. Heck if a movie is good enough to make me laugh and cry, I will own it on DVD or VHS, guaranteed.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    But NoahJ, crying is for pussy, whimp, femmy, bleading-heart, liberals... all of whom are gay. not like he-man tough guys all of whom are white and straight.... so they say to themselves...over and over..