Apple passes Microsoft, takes second place in S&P 500 rankings [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

For MSFT to have a 238b cap the stock would have to hit somewhere around 27.25

Headed that direction in after-hours trading. Don't know if it'll get there though.

• Reply 22 of 45
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I have a 12 year bet riding on this!
  • Reply 23 of 45
    First the rumor of the ARM take-over by Apple was uncritically passed on, by the roughdrafter Daniel (of all people - should have known better). Now this. You folks need to do your homework. MSFT is still more than petty 30 bill. ahead of AAPL. To be sure, I will whisper a yippee at the over-take of MSFT (not the take-over of ARM), just not yet.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Two financial sites are reporting this incorrect number. I don't understand how it was calculated, as I can't get that number no matter how I juggle the numbers.

Apple ended the day up $7.25, and MS was up $0.058.

As of this moment (4:47 EST), in after hours trading, Apple down $0.62, and MS is down $1.40.

Apple's market cap is $241.6B, and MS's is $275.3B.

This will change slightly as the evenings trading continues, but not by much.

I still don't know why Apple jumped so much today. Whether it was because of the possibility they might buy ARM, or the likelihood that they may not, or something else altogether, is a real question.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    I think that AI got their story from MarketWatch:

"SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Inc. (AAPL 265.40, -1.07, -0.40%) became the second-largest company, in terms of market capitalization, on the S&P 500 (SPX 1,209, +2.74, +0.23%) Thursday, trailing only Exxon Mobil (XOM 68.50, -0.06, -0.09%) , according to Standard & Poor's index services unit. The S&P 500 is float-adjusted, so it doesn't use the full market basis for Microsoft. Apple's float-adjusted market cap reached $241.5 billion, surpassing Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT 29.91, -1.48, -4.72%) index market value of $239.5 billion, said Standard & Poor's. Exxon still remains in the top spot on the S&P 500 with a market cap of more than $300 billion, said S&P. (Updates to correct Apple market capitalization and clarifies Standard & Poor's ranking.)"
  • Reply 26 of 45
    Although a number of outlets (1, 2) reported Thursday that Apple's market cap exceeded Microsoft, the information was inaccurate. Microsoft's cap is still larger than Apple.

Exxon still remains the top company on the S&P 500, with a market cap of $324 billion. Earlier this year Apple moved past Berkshire Hathaway and Walmart to become the third-largest U.S. company in terms of market cap.

Apple's growth has been largely credited to the company's CEO, Steve Jobs. In December, the Apple co-founder was named the world's best-performing CEO for increasing his company's market cap a whopping $150 billion over a 12-year span.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JamesMan View Post

First the rumor of the ARM take-over by Apple was uncritically passed on, by the roughdrafter Daniel (of all people - should have known better). Now this. You folks need to do your homework. MSFT is still more than petty 30 bill. ahead of AAPL. To be sure, I will whisper a yippee at the over-take of MSFT (not the take-over of ARM), just not yet.

Not really, Microsoft is getting hammer in after hours trading so the gap is like $20b or maybe even less than that.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    I was replying to your original story claiming Apple overtook MS (according to my Bloomberg terminal, they're about $30 billion behind).

However if APPL stock does hit $300, then that could definitely change. Just a little premature guys.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    Hopefully people caught this: the S&P 500 index calculates market cap differently than you'd otherwise expect. They only include shares available in the open market, not locked up. So if you exclude shares that aren't available to trade openly, AAPL has surpassed MSFT for market cap. If you count the total outstanding shares, MSFT is still substantially ahead.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

Not really, Microsoft is getting hammer in after hours trading so the gap is like $20b or maybe even less than that.

Apple is now down $1.12 or -0.42%, so they're both down, though MS is down by a greater percentage at$1.41 and -4.49%.

They're moving more quickly now.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hallm409 View Post

Hopefully people caught this: the S&P 500 index calculates market cap differently than you'd otherwise expect. They only include shares available in the open market, not locked up. So if you exclude shares that aren't available to trade openly, AAPL has surpassed MSFT for market cap. If you count the total outstanding shares, MSFT is still substantially ahead.

That's true. I forgot about that, as it's rarely done that way. That's the only major index that calculates valuation in that manner.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post

i think that ai got their story from marketwatch:
    SAN FRANCISCO (marketwatch) -- apple inc. (aapl 265.40, -1.07, -0.40%) became the second-largest company, in terms of market capitalization, on the s&p 500 (spx 1,209, +2.74, +0.23%) thursday, trailing only exxon mobil (xom 68.50, -0.06, -0.09%) , according to standard & poor's index services unit. The s&p 500 is float-adjusted, so it doesn't use the full market basis for microsoft. Apple's float-adjusted market cap reached $241.5 billion, surpassing microsoft corp.'s (msft 29.91, -1.48, -4.72%) index market value of $239.5 billion, said standard & poor's. Exxon still remains in the top spot on the s&p 500 with a market cap of more than $300 billion, said s&p. (updates to correct apple market capitalization and clarifies standard & poor's ranking.)

qft +++
  • Reply 33 of 45
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I still don't know why Apple jumped so much today. Whether it was because of the possibility they might buy ARM, or the likelihood that they may not, or something else altogether, is a real question.

A real question indeed...

My first though was the Nokia results but that was pre-marekt news and if AAPL was considered in some way to benefit from the results AAPL would have popped 1st thing.

ARM rumors started yesterday maybe even before... so thats not it...

ARM CEO downplaying rumors ... Thursday 22 April 2010 17.11 BST so that translates to 13:11 EST or 1:11pm.... maybe but given when this news items was published AAPL didn't react until what 30+ minutes later? The market reacts faster than that.

Apple stock started its POP at 13:38 EST or 1:38pm

Lots of interesting volumes traded spikes... I'm very curious myself...
  • Reply 34 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

A real question indeed...

My first though was the Nokia results but that was pre-marekt news and if AAPL was considered in some way to benefit from the results AAPL would have popped 1st thing.

ARM rumors started yesterday maybe even before... so thats not it...

ARM CEO downplaying rumors ... Thursday 22 April 2010 17.11 BST so that translates to 13:11 EST or 1:11pm.... maybe but given when this news items was published AAPL didn't react until what 30+ minutes later? The market reacts faster than that.

Apple stock started its POP at 13:38 EST or 1:38pm

Lots of interesting volumes traded spikes... I'm very curious myself...

I hope we'll find out tomorrow.

Remember recently when Apple stock had been going up for several days, and then dropped by several dollars? I couldn't find a single reason for it.

Then the next day it was revealed that a number of highly placed Apple executives had their options mature, and sold. That was enough to drop the stock several points, especially if the market was also responding to the drop.

But then it popped up again.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:

However, as The Associated Press noted, the S&P 500 ranks companies by their publicly available shares. Just 87 percent of Microsoft's shares are open for public trading. So in market capitalization, Microsoft is still bigger than Apple.

Seems to have been poorly reported; not market cap, just publicly available shares, excluding insiders?
  • Reply 36 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Seems to have been poorly reported; not market cap, just publicly available shares, excluding insiders?

Shares generally held by institutions which don't intend to sell them.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

I hope we'll find out tomorrow.

Remember recently when Apple stock had been going up for several days, and then dropped by several dollars? I couldn't find a single reason for it.

Then the next day it was revealed that a number of highly placed Apple executives had their options mature, and sold. That was enough to drop the stock several points, especially if the market was also responding to the drop.

But then it popped up again.

Program trading by the institutions. Many of these moves can't be explained by even the emotional logic of the markets, when so much of the buying and selling is automatic.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Program trading by the institutions. Many of these moves can't be explained by even the emotional logic of the markets, when so much of the buying and selling is automatic.

It's possible the first time. But this time I don't see (so far) any tipping point for it to occur. Do you?
  • Reply 39 of 45
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

It's possible the first time. But this time I don't see (so far) any tipping point for it to occur. Do you?

Not sure I know exactly what you are asking, but if you're looking for the secret sauce in program trading, I don't think it's anywhere people like us are ever going to see it. Someone gets paid large sums to figure out when it's statistically optimal for the magic buy and sell switches to get thrown.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not sure I know exactly what you are asking, but if you're looking for the secret sauce in program trading, I don't think it's anywhere people like us are ever going to see it. Someone gets paid large sums to figure out when it's statistically optimal for the magic buy and sell switches to get thrown.

No, I'm asking if you saw anything that would cause the program trades to jump like that. There's usually some point that they react to. I don't see one.