Google may bring free turn-by-turn navigation to Apple iPhone [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google this week said it plans to bring Google Maps Navigation, its free turn-by-turn GPS software already available on Android, to other platforms, but disputed reports that it was confirmed for the iPhone [updated].

According to MacUser, Google officials confirmed at a London, England, press conference that its satellite navigation software would be coming to "other" platforms, including the iPhone. No dates for potential availability were given.

Update: Contacted by PCWorld, a Google spokesperson clarified and said that while the company will bring its software to "other platforms," it has not confirmed the software is coming to the iPhone. "We did not say we would bring it to iPhone, we said to date we've had it on Android and that in the future it may come to other platforms but did not confirm this will be coming to iPhone at all," the spokesperson said.

This week, the service became available to the first countries in Europe, with the U.K. and Ireland getting access to the software. It is currently available on handsets running Android 1.6 and higher, and is available as a free download from the Android Market.

Google Maps Navigation was introduced last year when the Motorola Droid first went on sale in the U.S. It offers 3D views, turn-by-turn voice guidance and automatic routing. The service requires an Internet connection to download maps and routes, and uses a persistent connection to offer features such as live traffic updates. However, losing a connection temporarily does not kill the service, Mobile Maps Product Manager Steve Lee said.

"Google Maps pre-caches the entire route," he said. "It needs a data connection when you ask for navigation. But while driving to your destination, if you intermittently lose the connection, it will still carry on, as long as you stay on the route."

The application uses Google's Maps data, including satellite view and street view. It also has voice search capabilities, and a special car dock mode that's intended to be used at arm's length.

Last October, Google officials told AppleInsider that its free online navigation service would come to the iPhone if the software was approved by Apple for release in the App Store. Google has had difficulty getting its applications approved in the past, with the search giant releasing its Latitude software as a browser-based Web application. The most high-profile issue between Apple and Google came over the Google Voice application, which Apple said too closely resembled the native features of the iPhone.

A number of GPS navigation applications already exist on the App Store, though they are not free. One of the most popular options from TomTom offers a U.S.-only map for $59.99, and numerous other international options are available. TomTom revealed earlier this year that it sold more than 100,000 copies of its iPhone application at the end of 2009.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I always use navigation. That's why I'm FIRST Mo' fo's!!!
  • Reply 2 of 95
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    It would be interesting to see how this application will develop. And whether Google would make the App comply with the terms of agreement set by Apple.

Since it is free, I wonder how it would affect the business of the other GPS Apps, like TomTom, which are very costly. Do I see the future from the past? Netscape vs Internet Explorer? All those Search engines, then comes Google Search.

It would be interesting too how it would affect Apple's own Maps ambitions. Didn't Apple just acquire their own Map company?

I am sure eventually there will be advertisements in the Google Apps. iAd vs AdMob?

The direct Apple vs. Google competition thickens. Tighten your seatbelts and enjoy the ride.

CGC
  • Reply 3 of 95
    I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.
  • Reply 4 of 95
    trackertracker Posts: 35member
    This will be awsome with the 3G/GPS iPad.

Of course with a doc solution. The display form factor would be great for individuals who have problems with the smaller displays and bigger button's help you pick the right options.

Can't wait!
  • Reply 5 of 95
    res08haores08hao Posts: 114member
    I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Ok google, go back to sleep now.
  • Reply 6 of 95
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by res08hao View Post

I see one little itsy bitsy problem here: THE INTERNET IS NOT AVAILABLE!!!!! That is why we use 3g or have gps units CONNECTED VIA SATELLITE!!!!

Er, what?!
  • Reply 7 of 95
    Quote:

This is an App for the iPhone. And read the article again. Unless you have something else in mind. Please elaborate, because I don't get your response.

Unless Apple rejects this, for reasons outlined in my prior post, this will become very popular. It may even kill the other related Apps, or force them to reduce the prices charged. Competition is good.

CGC

Edit: "It Pays to Read Before We Respond"
  • Reply 8 of 95
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    It looks like a decent enough GPS turn by turn app, we'll see how it pans out when it hits the streets
  • Reply 9 of 95
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I really don't see why this needs to be its own App. How annoying. If Google wants to do this, why don't they just pick up the phone and tell Apple, so they can roll it into the current built-in Google Maps app...this makes WAY too much sense to avoid.

Why would they make a whole other app for just turn by turn? There needs to be COMMUNICATION, so that the user doesn't suffer. If its going to be Free, then build it into Maps.app and call it a day. Finally the Maps app would be a little more useful.
  • Reply 10 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

In a mountanous area such as northern New Hampshire this would be correct. Unless AT&T add a lot more towers. However, being free means I'd grab it to use where it will work. What's not to like about free
  • Reply 11 of 95
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google this week said it plans to bring Google Maps Navigation, its free turn-by-turn GPS software already available on Android, as an application for Apple's iPhone.

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Although the app appears to be free, does anybody know what the usage charges will be from their wireless operator? My understanding is that this will not fall under the 'unlimited' iPhone data plans as is available in the U.S. from AT&T or other companies offering 'GPS/Realtime navigation.

Damn good question.

Off topic, but love your ban list tips. Isn't it a shame the system doesn't auto include replies to their troll posts.
  • Reply 13 of 95
    maxmannmaxmann Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bklynkid View Post

I think my life is now complete... bring on the next iPhone, 4.0 and this.

sorry to be so OFF subject here.. but my life is not now complete.. but it would be if..

If only Apple would split 4 for 1 and allow the market to reconsider its valuation. These high stock prices over 200 just never jibe easily with growth rate of revenue and net earnings.. here we have wall street finally adjusting the trailing earnings PE value on their crap sheets on line.. and we see it has fallen from a PE of 25 pre earnings announcement to a PE of 22.6 two days after they are made public. I have no patience for this - a split 4 or 5 to 1 would bring the stock price down to a level that they could add and subtract and even multiply a PE that Apple deserves. It should be 40!

11.78 12 month trailing earnings x 22.6 = 266.45

11.78 trailing earnings x 25 = 294.00

11.78 trailing earnings x 30 = 353.00
  • Reply 14 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I really don't see why this needs to be its own App. How annoying. If Google wants to do this, why don't they just pick up the phone and tell Apple, so they can roll it into the current built-in Google Maps app...this makes WAY too much sense to avoid.

Why would they make a whole other app for just turn by turn? There needs to be COMMUNICATION, so that the user doesn't suffer. If its going to be Free, then build it into Maps.app and call it a day. Finally the Maps app would be a little more useful.

Well, it is free. The more Google Apps, the more places where Ads can be placed. Ads is the bread and butter of Google.

Also, there are other uses for the Google Maps that need not have to have a more complex algorithm, like the "turn by turn" application.

CGC
  • Reply 15 of 95
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Damn good question.

Off topic, but love your ban list tips.

It's one of the most comprehensive I've seen.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxmann View Post

sorry to be so OFF subject here.. but my life is not now complete.. but it would be if..

If only Apple would split 4 for 1 and allow the market to reconsider its valuation. These high stock prices over 200 just never jibe easily with growth rate of revenue and net earnings.. here we have wall street finally adjusting the trailing earnings PE value on their crap sheets on line.. and we see it has fallen from a PE of 25 pre earnings announcement to a PE of 22.6 two days after they are made public. I have no patience for this - a split 4 or 5 to 1 would bring the stock price down to a level that they could add and subtract and even multiply a PE that Apple deserves. It should be 40!

11.78 12 month trailing earnings x 22.6 = 266.45

11.78 trailing earnings x 25 = 294.00

11.78 trailing earnings x 30 = 353.00

It distracts from the flow of the discussion.

Not that I am not guilty of the same weakness.

CGC
  • Reply 17 of 95
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    hasn't there been rumors of apple making a turn by turn app??

so is our view smaller because of "ads"

well garmin et al are pooping bricks right now.

i was going to upgrade the software for my nuvi 360 but they want $100

well that market is now gone.

its cheaper for me to buy a refurbished unit, they offer 1 free upgrade, THEN

this announcement came up.....guess i can save the $$$$ toward my new iphone

but i hope apple brings one as well.

maybe that was what SJ and smidt were taling about over a cup of "joe"
  • Reply 18 of 95
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Care to post a reference? It's stock internet data, both coming and going. Unless there is specific wording in your AT&T data contract, there is no way they could 'bill' you for using this.
  • Reply 19 of 95
    It would seem Google are not with holding killer apps from Apple possibly indicating their rivalry is not as bitter as some believe. That coffe meeting may have been more about strategy than mending fences.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    swingeswinge Posts: 110member
    Cue another mass sell off of share holders....

I'm excited about getting a GPS this good on the iPhone but "Do no evil?" Google will very quickly exterminate the GPS market. Personally, I'd prefer to pay for a product and know it's mine, with Google you always have to question how the other shoe is going to drop...