Apple iPhone takes 72% of Japanese smartphone market

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Have a look at this:

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/ass...C-C63EB8FD120F

I'm not sure what to say. I *think* he's smarter than he sounds, but I'm not really encouraged.

I know what to say. I want some of what he's drinking.

Look, I'm a fan of Apple and I think that when you consider the momentum Apple has built up and the new products that are still in growth mode, the P/E ratio is lower than it should be. Heck, Wall Street is pricing it like a boring, average, stable company, not a dynamic, market leader.

But $1,000 per share is just crazy. The real problem is perceptions. Apple stock has ALWAYS been hyper-sensitive to perceptions. As soon as there's a bad quarter or bad news of any time, the stock plummets. It's irrational, but that's the way the analysts treat the stock. They carry it because they feel that they have to when it's going up by 50-60% per year, but they don't like it and never have. First sign of bad news and the lemmings flee.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Fancy that! Someone actually tries that out as a tech product attribute, and people take notice!

(As an aside, I just bought a Sony blu-ray disc player, with built in wifi. I was stunned by what a tacky-feeling piece of electronics it is, overall. The set-up, incl. the wifi set up was confusing (who writes these manuals and who programs their on-screen menus!?). For instance, you should take a look at their on-screen keyboard -- makes @TV's look like genius. And I still haven't figured out how to get Netflix streaming set up on it (I am too busy or lazy to call their 1-800 number). It offers a gazillion useless features that I'll probably never use.I don't mean to knock Sony, but here's a cutting-edge, global, Japanese electronics company and their cutting-edge product seems to be more about features than usability. People are sick and tired of it).

Agreed, and I'd say that's also true of most American (actually any country you like here) companies too. Other than Apple no one seems to have a clue how to create a logical, easy to use menu system. Look at the TV on screen controls for the likes of FiOS HDRs. I know numerous people who simply can't figure out how to use it. I could spend all day listing products with terrible interfaces as could you I'm sure. Apple are and always have been about the user.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Who the fuck says things like this? Seriously. A few random trolls on the thread? I have a feeling people around here have setup this fake outcry from "those other guys" in order to have a chuckle over how Apple is doing great, and feel like somehow you're rubbing it in their faces.

ANYWAYS, nobody has mentioned the obvious: Japan is always ahead of us technologically, and here they are being dominated by an AMERICAN device. This is big news! (Also, maybe a vision of things to come HERE.)

chronster, I believe those guys were joking around. I believe iPhone had a tough start in Japan, and there was even a technology a writer that embellished some truths about the how the iPhone was received in Japan. I think there were many reports in the media that the iPhone was a failure in Japan. I think these guys were just joking about that.

Anyway, this is great news for Apple!!! Good to see the smart Japanese buying up the iPhone!
  • Reply 24 of 101
    icyfogicyfog Posts: 338member
    Quote:

Apple (in Japan) is doomed!?

(Sorry, couldn't resist! )

Yeah that's what I remember reading too. Or more accurately the iPhone in Japan was doomed.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Does anyone have links to articles describing the various technologies (GSM, CDMA) and radio frequencies used in Japan? As I recall (possibly incorrectly), Japan has a mix of standards which means the iPhone can only be used with certain carriers, just like in the US and China. If this is the case, the 72% figure would be even more impressive given that there would be networks that the iPhone couldn't even be sold on.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    I remember a year or so ago the opinion was that the iPhone was a non-starter in the Japanese market!!! The argument was that it was already behind the standard phones in the market, and just wasn't desirable there.

Wow... huge change in opinion, and a great example of how a non-Japanese product CAN succeed in the high-tech market of Japan. The old attitude was "it can't be done".

MadCow.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    timmydaxtimmydax Posts: 284member
    This is amazing. Props to Apple.

Just some good/hilarious links:

RoughlyDrafted - The Japanese iPhone Failure Myth

Wired - Why the Japanese Hate the iPhone

Nobuyuki Hayashi - My view of how iPhone is doing in Japan

RoughlyDrafted - Japanese "hate" for iPhone all a Big Mistake

Then last year's sales information, now this. However, there are definitely people that will only have read the original Wired article (previous to edits). Such link-baiting bullshitters.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I know what to say. I want some of what he's drinking.

Look, I'm a fan of Apple and I think that when you consider the momentum Apple has built up and the new products that are still in growth mode, the P/E ratio is lower than it should be. Heck, Wall Street is pricing it like a boring, average, stable company, not a dynamic, market leader.

But $1,000 per share is just crazy. The real problem is perceptions. Apple stock has ALWAYS been hyper-sensitive to perceptions. As soon as there's a bad quarter or bad news of any time, the stock plummets. It's irrational, but that's the way the analysts treat the stock. They carry it because they feel that they have to when it's going up by 50-60% per year, but they don't like it and never have. First sign of bad news and the lemmings flee.

I would not say it 'plummets' (other than the stock market crash along with everything else) it dips as profits are taken but it climbs steadily soon thereafter usually at the time of announcements of any significance. I always buy on those dips so I'm happy they do it. It's been a pattern for years that's as predictable as the sun rising.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimmyDax View Post

This is amazing. Props to Apple.

Just some good/hilarious links:

RoughlyDrafted - The Japanese iPhone Failure Myth

Wired - Why the Japanese Hate the iPhone

Nobuyuki Hayashi - My view of how iPhone is doing in Japan

RoughlyDrafted - Japanese "hate" for iPhone all a Big Mistake

Then last year's sales information, now this. However, there are definitely people that will only have read the original Wired article (previous to edits). Such link-baiting bullshitters.

Thanks ... filed along with Michael Dell's and Ballmer's quotes on Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Have a look at this:

I'm not sure what to say. I *think* he's smarter than he sounds, but I'm not really encouraged.

I think he's overstepping himself. Sure it's possible, but I don't think it's possible in a one year time frame. I think $400 or $500 is as that is essentially a a doubling as I do agree that the iPad is a runaway success and the first computing device that is attractive to older people who have never cared for computers before. I think the iPad will be Apple most profitable leg after the iPhone within 2 years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I just saw that too ... woooot! My retirement looks better every day So solipsism where are your thoughts on stock split coming soon versus Apple buy back?

I must dig back through my old posts to the discussion with a well known global mod who argued with me that AAPL would not pass 200 for a few years.

I'd like a split, wouldn't mind a buyback, and don't want dividends.
  • Reply 31 of 101
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Who the fuck says things like this? Seriously. A few random trolls on the thread? I have a feeling people around here have setup this fake outcry from "those other guys" in order to have a chuckle over how Apple is doing great, and feel like somehow you're rubbing it in their faces.

This is not imaginary... a year ago, this forum was awash in those claiming that the Japanese were SOOOO much more sophisticated than Americans, and they would NEVER embrace the iPhone because it didn't include the endless list of unusable 'features' that were and ABSOLUTE requirement for Japanese users.

This isn't an exaggeration.

Yes we're rubbing it in.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

This is not imaginary... a year ago, this forum was awash in those claiming that the Japanese were SOOOO much more sophisticated than Americans, and they would NEVER embrace the iPhone because it didn't include the endless list of unusable 'features' that were and ABSOLUTE requirement for Japanese users.

This isn't an exaggeration.

Yes we're rubbing it in.

Really? The forum awash with those types of people? You sure it wasn't like two or three people like that, who aren't even around anymore?
  • Reply 33 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    It's interesting to note that a whole bunch of Linux and Symbian phones aren't included in these figures. The whole of NTT DoCoMo's 3G line-up runs some kind of modern OS and they account for a whole lot more than ~1.7 million sales per year.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    Quote:

Have a look at this:

I suspect he is closer to the truth than many will credit him with. Perhaps the $1000 is a few years out but it's coming. Look at the speed Apple is closing in on M$s market cap. They have gone from half to within striking distance in a very short time. I haven't done the graph but they should pass M$ within a year or two I'd guess. Any math people here that could graph this closing gap to see the intersection point date on current projections?
  • Reply 35 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Really? The forum awash with those types of people? You sure it wasn't like two or three people like that, who aren't even around anymore?

Sure they are. They're just posting under new names.
  • Reply 36 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Apple has 72% of the gaijin phone OS market.

I have yet to see a gaijin in my city using an iPhone; granted there aren't too many living here... Was in a coffee shop yesterday where seven people were using their cell phones; five were iPhones.

Quote:

Apple (in Japan) is doomed!™

(Sorry, couldn't resist! )

The iPhone as someone later listed up nicely was certainly predicted here to fail in Japan... one of the iFail projects!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Japanese know their tech, and those who know (and can afford) chose apple.

That said I think android is gonna grow pretty nicely there too. Japanese seem to prefer their own tech toys unless they absolutely have to swithc (think cars, robots and game consoles) and Android can be installed by local Japanese manufacturers and sold throughout asia. Plus android lets you have a hello kitty dialer. Apple can't do that.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_t...pink_fhat.html

iPhones are selling wildly here. Wish the same were true for Macs, but Windows is now part of the high school curiculum (well, Office) and almost all businesses use Windoze. A now former Apple reseller told me yesterday that they had a lot of customers switching back to Windoze after giving Mac a try.

I hope the iPad knocks some sense into the movie and publishing businesses here; we still don't have TV shows, movies, or books (not coming) for the iTune Music Store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icyfog View Post

Yeah that's what I remember reading too. Or more accurately the iPhone in Japan was doomed.

It was pretty noisy.

Quote:

It sure seemed awash.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    I know I repeating the obvious...but I just have too!

I remember reading months ago how dismal Apple was going to do in Japan, specifically the iPhone. And now this. Is it just the media and people on this message board that are determined to be negative no matter what the news?

Give over....
  • Reply 38 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PPS: Quadra 610, the stock hit $270 today.

Yet his net profit is 0%. I want to thank him for being right. I have made so much I should really buy him an iPad seeing he can't get in on any of this money the rest of us are making.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    I have even quite recently written critically of Apple Japan, but have always been positive towards Apple products (two different discussions) and have thought and hoped they could do well here, especially the iPhone and iPad. I have always hoped that Mac would do better, and believe that if Apple Japan got its act together a little they could sell a lot more Macs. Apples products are amazing; Apple Japan leaves a lot to be desired. Fortunately, there have not been too many hardware issues with the iPhone (the charger was replaced a while back) so I guess that not too many people are having major problems with the Call Center yet. I also think that most people will take their phones to their SoftBank shop if they have any problems. The shops are all over the place.

When the iPhone was first released here, the Japanese input was a bit funky. An update fixed that and it has been smooth sailing since.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    roy61roy61 Posts: 1member
    That headline is somewhat misleading. To put in perspective, 72% of the smartphone market is only around 4.9% of the total handset market in Japan which is still pretty good for any one handset but I wouldn't go as far as saying Apple has conquered Japan.

http://asiajin.com/blog/2010/04/23/i...hare-in-japan/